pixeltracker

Unpopular Opinions You Hold- Page 18

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#425re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/8/09 at 11:09am

CS, I agree. I actually saw Matt Cavenaugh's understudy and loved the show. I don't think it's perfect, but it's not nearly as bad as everyone has said.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Cuneas
#426re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/8/09 at 1:47pm

Well, as for the whole Gerschwin/Virgil Thompson thing, look at it this way: Thompson, a classically trained musician with all kinds of formal credentials writes a mediocre English-language opera for Black performers that is really notable only because Gertrude Stein wrote the libretto and did her usual fascinating work to cover up for Thompson's uninspired music. Then a little upstart who had no classical training whatsoever and had cut his teeth on what was basically pop music in those days writes an English-language opera for Black performers, and it turns out to be a work of genius and causes an immediate sensation. After all, "Porgy and Bess" didn't _make money_ while Gerschwin was still alive, but it immediately gained a notoriety and press coverage that I think Thompson would have killed for. There were certainly some critics in the day who hated Gerschwin for reasons of Anti-Semitism, but judging from Thompson's public utterances, I think in his case it was just simple jealousy/snobbery.

And I agree about Sondheim and Hart. I mean, admittedly, Sondheim is a more _consistent_ lyricist than Hart, but he also wrote about one-tenth as many shows in more than seventy years as Hart wrote in less than forty, so it's _hardly_ a fair comparison.

I guess this is a little off-topic, but hey, I'm writing about _other people_ who have unpopular opinions, so there's some kind of vague thread back to the starting point.

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#427re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/8/09 at 2:43pm

Thank you for that Cuneas. Always a pleasure to see well-reasoned arguments here.

I have another theary about Hart & Sondheim that may seem screwy - Sondheim's attitude towads Hart might also have been influenced both by a possible exposure to Rogers' homophobia (I'm sure you know the story that upon hearing of Hart's death, Rogers muttered "Thank God I don't have to deal with that little fagg** anymore"), and by a secret awareness that he and Hart both had more in common in their private lives than he was comfortable with.

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"

AndAllThatJazz22
#428re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/8/09 at 6:55pm

Matt Cavenaugh has a pretty voice.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

practically_perfect Profile Photo
practically_perfect
#429re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/8/09 at 7:01pm

I also think Spring Awakening has absolutely beautiful music.

Billy Elliot was extremely unimpressive and not deserving of the Tony.

Not sure whether this is unpopular or not:
I loved Shrek.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#430re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/8/09 at 7:03pm

I think it's pretty unpopular around here, but so do I.

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#431re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/8/09 at 7:06pm

I agree about Billy Elliot. I love the movie, but I don't like it as a musical....

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

claudioislove Profile Photo
claudioislove
#432re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/8/09 at 7:58pm

I love the music of Spring Awakening.
I think American Idiot is a brilliant idea as a musical.
Defying Gravity gives me chills every time.
Constantine is both amazingly talented and incredibly nice, and I've loved him ever since he auditioned on AI.

Because I look different you think I'm subversive.

AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
#433re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/9/09 at 12:14am

I'd like to throw in an extra vote for how beautiful the music is in Spring Awakening. Gives me chills.

Everything in life...is only for now.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#434re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/9/09 at 12:16am

I think Finian's Rainbow will do well next season. I don't know if it'll be a massive hit, but I think it'll do much better than others are suggesting.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#435re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/9/09 at 12:32am

REASONS TO BE PRETTY should have won the Best Play Tony.

GOD OF CARNAGE would have ran into major problems with the critics had it not had such a flawlessly cast group of actors and brilliant direction from Warchus.

EXIT THE KING should have won the Best Play Revival Tony this past season.

A CATERED AFFAIR should have won the Best Musical, Best Book, and Best Actor (Tom Wopat) Tonys. And it wasn't even nominated for the first two.

Patti didn't have me completely sold on her Mama Rose until I saw the final performance of GYPSY last January. Then I really got it.

Updated On: 8/9/09 at 12:32 AM

Coraline Profile Photo
Coraline
#436re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/9/09 at 12:52am

EXIT THE KING was terrible - granted I saw the first preview and Susan Sarandon didn't seem to have her part down AT ALL, which might have distracted me from the rest of the performance.

vodkastinger Profile Photo
vodkastinger
#437re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/9/09 at 1:51pm

I saw the third to last performance of Exit the King, and it was one of the most incredible things I've seen on Broadway.

AndAllThatJazz22
#438re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/9/09 at 2:06pm

Guys and Dolls has never impressed me.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#439re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 8/9/09 at 2:14pm

Three factors were instrumental in IN THE HEIGHTS winning the Tony over (the far superior) PASSING STRANGE:

1) I love him, but Stew's attitude put off a fair number of voters. He wan't into shmoozing and charming them, while Miranda knew exactly how to turn on the twinkle.

2) None of the voters wanted to f**k Stew.

3) LOTS of them wanted to f**k Miranda.

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"
Updated On: 8/9/09 at 02:14 PM

KSulu
#440Re: Buckley
Posted: 8/11/09 at 7:37pm

Updated On: 8/11/09 at 07:37 PM

AndAllThatJazz22
#441Re: Buckley
Posted: 8/11/09 at 9:06pm

I think Terrence Mann sounds like he is singing while having an omelette shoved down his throat.

Renee Elise Goldsberry is one of Broadway's most underrated performers.

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#442Re: Buckley
Posted: 8/11/09 at 10:11pm

"Renee Elise Goldsberry is one of Broadway's most underrated performers."

I TOTALLY agree, Jazzy. SUCH a gorgeous voice. Really gorgeous.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

AndAllThatJazz22
#443Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/11/09 at 10:43pm

Yay, I'm not the only one!

beagle Profile Photo
beagle
#444Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/12/09 at 2:55am

I'm excited about the Finian's Rainbow revival, because I love the score and I'm thrilled that Kate Baldwin is finally getting a starring role on Broadway. Now for the unpopular part: I was kind of disappointed that Cheyenne Jackson decided to be in it after all. I don't hate him, but I don't think he's as great as some people think, and he seems to be in everything these days. I also think there are other actors who could play, and sing, the role of Woody better.

Updated On: 8/12/09 at 02:55 AM

BroadwayKing09 Profile Photo
BroadwayKing09
#445Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/12/09 at 2:57am

I love West Side Story!

BroadwayKing09 Profile Photo
BroadwayKing09
#446Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/12/09 at 2:58am

I love West Side Story!

broadwayomgomg Profile Photo
broadwayomgomg
#447Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/12/09 at 3:37am

"Renee Elise Goldsberry is one of Broadway's most underrated performers."

I also agree and absolutely LOVE her.

byebyebaby12 Profile Photo
byebyebaby12
#448Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/12/09 at 9:22am

Got one.

Godspell bores me and is a stupid concept.

NDR
#449Re: Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 8/12/09 at 9:52am

I think HAIR is a dreadfully boring musical.

The revival of WSS is really boring. The pace sags in many places and I don't care for the new Spanish lyrics (despite being Puerto Rican myself). I don't think they add any level of authenticity and actually serve as a distraction. The dancing is great, KO, JS, CH and MC do a fine job, but the overall piece lacks the sentimentality that makes the story believable.

Videos