pixeltracker

Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig- Page 19

Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#450Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 1:38am

Starting to wonder if I should move my August 13 tickets back a bit...

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#451Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 1:41am

I can't believe I'm reading that he's still butchering the "Angry Inch" spoken part. He mangled the words terribly when I saw him last week and it was painfully cringeworthy. I'm headed back to give him one more chance next week, and will hold my breath for that section of the song. 

Updated On: 7/30/15 at 01:41 AM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#452Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 10:39am

On a more positive note though, I thought his "Midnight Radio" was the best I have heard of all the Hedwigs I've seen (NPH, MCH, JCM, TD). It was very soulful, but maintained the rock edge.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

RussT2
#453Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 1:13pm

"I agree that no one can tell your own story better than you, but Hedwig isn't JCM's story. Yes he wrote the show, but he did not live Hedwig's life. JCM has made that specifically clear."

It isn't literally John's story, but MANY elements of the story do spring from his experiences as growing up the child of a lifelong military man, not to mention the woman he and his friends would hang out with in her trailer who used to supposedly turn tricks to make ends meet. IMHO the author of a work is usually more in touch with the character and dramatics because it sprang directly from their mind.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#454Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 1:21pm

It's his story because he created it.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#455Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 1:24pm

The Broadway Bug I keep inside of he has officially been squashed by a man named Taye Diggs. His performance was truly horrible -- one of the worst I have EVER seen. He had MONTHS to prepare for this role and here he is forgetting lyrics, lines, choreography and everything in between. You know things are bad when Rebecca Naomi Jones is trying to keep your lifeboat from sinking. BRING BACK LENA AND JCM STAT!

I don't mean to sound mean when I say this. It's just I love Hedwig so much and I paid good money to see what I thought would be a continuation of the best Broadway production I have ever seen. What a joke.

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#456Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 1:37pm

At least he seems to be holding steady in sales. Just keep it open.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#457Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 1:55pm

"It's his story because he created it."

I think if someone thinks JCM is the best Hedwig because he's the best actor to convey the acting/singing and persona of JCM that's fine.  If because he wrote the character he has the "internalized" conception of the character down pat as the writer envisioned, (again himself) fair enough.

However the reality is that many of the great performances of theather were NOT written by the actors who gave them life and magic on stage.   The actors pulled something out of themselves, like all great actors do. 

When I saw Patti breathe life into Evita it didn't matter she didn't  "create" Evita on the written page.

Sure JCM has autobiographical elements in Hedwig, (many writers, such as Tennesee Williams do, even if they are not perfomers) and understands his concept of the character, but every actor has to dig in and give their concept of a written character.  I remember Tennesse Williams saying that Vivien Leigh both in the West End production of "A Streetcar named Desire" and the movie surprised him, and brought things to Blanche, that he as the writer, had not with her acting.  

So  fine that some think that JCM is the best Hedwig, but I just think that because he wrote the character nobody can give as great if different Hedwig is just silly.  

Caveat here, I really really liked Michael Cerveris interpretation of Hedwig.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#458Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 2:17pm

"So fine that some think that JCM is the best Hedwig, but I just think that because he wrote the character nobody can give as great if different Hedwig is just silly."

So sorry that you inferred the only reason I say JCM is the best is because he wrote the story. 

Beyond silly - just ridiculous.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#459Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 2:34pm

""So fine that some think that JCM is the best Hedwig, but I just think that because he wrote the character nobody can give as great if different Hedwig is just silly."
So sorry that you inferred the only reason I say JCM is the best is because he wrote the story. 
Beyond silly - just ridiculous."

Actually Jane I do think you think his is the best interpretation because you find his acting /performing  exceptional, no? 

I can't argue with that.

It just seemed to me from your comments you've made up your mind nobody can ever match him also because he "created" it.  Did I get that wrong?

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#460Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 2:52pm

Interesting Skies, I was just giving a lot of thought to how I would explain my stance on JCM being the one and only Hedwig. So I'll try: I was pretending that I was writing a story based on some actual events from my own life. I would, in my mind, return to the "scenes of the crimes" lol, and experience them once again, and write. That's what JCM did. So I can't imagine that anyone else could return to those scenes and feel them the way John did. 

And of course JCM's acting and singing are exceptional. (even though he did say that M. Cerveris sang it better). 

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#461Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 3:03pm

I want to add that I don't think anyone on this board experienced the phenomenon that I and hundred of others did, being part of the cult (and I did say cult) following that was at the Jane for every performance by John (and others but this is about the bond with John as Hedwig). We were all a part of one whole utterly devoted mass to Hedwig and John. Seeing him play the role became something other than a role. JCM was Hedwig for us. It was a deep love. I can't explain it if you weren't part of it.

So it's hard for me to let go of, as if I ever wanted to.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#462Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 3:35pm

Fair enough, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't own up that some peformers ARE certain characters to me, too.

As to whole experience of John and Hedwig at the Jane, yea, that makes sense when you put it that way per how some feel about it.  It becomes something personal.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#463Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 4:36pm

It isn't literally John's story, but MANY elements of the story do spring from his experiences as growing up the child of a lifelong military man, not to mention the woman he and his friends would hang out with in her trailer who used to supposedly turn tricks to make ends meet. IMHO the author of a work is usually more in touch with the character and dramatics because it sprang directly from their mind.

I can understand that. But I don't think that automatically means the original performer is always better at performing the role.. I think JCM knows Hedwig the most, but I personally found NPH to perform the role better. Not that big of a deal...

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#464Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 5:02pm

I'd really be interested in hearing impressions of Taye Diggs in the show from someone who wasn't familiar with it going in. I think sometimes, when you know every line of dialogue and every note of music, plus all of the choreography and stage business, it's hard to imagine how the average tourist, maybe a Taye Diggs fan but knowing nothing about Hedwig, would react. Will the fact that the show is taking longer, that he's maybe not totally comfortable with the dialogue, that he's giving a different interpretation of some songs, affect the word of mouth?

I guess what I mean is, are people who are going to see Taye Diggs, not knowing anything about Hedwig, never having seen the show or the movie before, going to tell their friends "Oh, he was great, it was a great show, you have to go" or is it going to be "He was OK, but it was kind of weird, it felt long, I wouldn't bother." In other words, if he is in fact not doing justice to the music, the emotion of the show, what makes people who love Hedwig go back over and over, will that come across to people who go to see him in it? That would be sad. (Not sure if I'm making sense here - I'm a little sleep-deprived today) Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig

Maggie-the-schnoodle

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#465Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 5:46pm

"I don't think that automatically means the original performer is always better at performing the role.. I think JCM knows Hedwig the most, but I personally found NPH to perform the role better. Not that big of a deal..."

The major difference is that JCM was creating a role FOR himself to perform, which means it was built, first and foremost, to showcase his strengths as well as challenge him in areas he wanted (and felt he needed) to be challenged artistically. It wasn't written standalone, and then he thought, "You know, maybe *I* should do this..."

I'm glad some people liked NPH better. I bought tickets to see every subsequent Hedwig on the $800 I made selling a single orchestra seat to someone who desperately wanted to see NPH's last show, heh.

Depaultheatrekid Profile Photo
Depaultheatrekid
#466Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 5:54pm

karen24 - To answer your question, I think all you need to do is search a few hashtags on twitter, and its quite obvious that an overwhelming majority of people, who don't have any prior knowledge of the show or previous Hedwigs, are loving Taye. I have yet to see tweets that say anything negative about running time of the show, his accent, or the way he sings any of the songs. Seems to me, unless you're a die hard fan who is returning to the show, most people are enjoying his performance. Ticket sales are still looking good, and the only people I see legit complaining are theatre folks who are familiar with the material and have seen the show many, many times. I for one, have seen all the Hedwigs and listened to the audio recording on tumblr. To me, it wasn't half as bad as many here made it out to be. Was it outstanding? Not by a long shot, but it wouldn't and shouldn't hurt word of mouth for the show in anyway. 

Also a few things to note, since his opening night he has shaved about 15-20mins off his running time, with technical glitches included. With all shows, i'm sure stage management gives notes about the time as he continues to work to get it back to around 90mins. I'm also sure, there are line notes given for the scripted dialogue that he fumbles. One also has to asuume MM and JCM have seen the show, receive performane reports nightly and are very confident in the way Taye is maintaining the show. Otherwise, they would call rehearsals. Its so weird to me that people on this thread think that production and stage management staff wouldn't be constantly around to maintain the integrity of the show, as to say this guy is F***** it up so bad, that it might receive bad word of mouth and close. I'm sure he will settle into a beautiful Hedwig as all the other actors have done. 

Updated On: 7/30/15 at 05:54 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#467Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 6:14pm

"The major difference is that JCM was creating a role FOR himself to perform, which means it was built, first and foremost, to showcase his strengths as well as challenge him in areas he wanted (and felt he needed) to be challenged artistically. It wasn't written standalone, and then he thought, "You know, maybe *I* should do this..."

That's right Haterobics, and it makes  big difference.

ChildofEarth
#468Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 6:15pm

Just did a search on Twitter and I'm seeing pretty much the same things I see here - people who liked him and people who were taken aback by some of the struggles he has.

I do think he should be proud of just how much he has improved since the first show. I noticed that my review of last night was nicer than some people after me - I think because I went in with lower expectation the second time around. 

I think the real test would be to find people who aren't Taye fans or Hedwig fans, but who just came to enjoy the show.

A show like Hedwig, however, survives because it can bring us back again and again - ask anyone around you in the theatre on a given night how many times they've seen it, and most won't say it is their first time.

I wouldn't disregard the opinion of people who have seen the show before - those are some of the best people to talk to, in my opinion.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#469Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 6:28pm

"I think the real test would be to find people who aren't Taye fans or Hedwig fans, but who just came to enjoy the show."

If you don't know the show or what to expect, you might like him?! Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#470Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 6:32pm

I'm glad some people liked NPH better. I bought tickets to see every subsequent Hedwig on the $800 I made selling a single orchestra seat to someone who desperately wanted to see NPH's last show, heh.

He was on fire the night I saw him. Incredible performance. No surprise he won the Tony. I  do wish I could have seen Michael though.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#471Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 6:36pm

I think Michael was actually my favorite Hedwig* so far...

* I don't include JCM in Hedwig rankings.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#472Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 6:38pm

"He was on fire the night I saw him. Incredible performance. No surprise he won the Tony"

I sure wasn't surprised. He put on some show. It perfectly showcased his singing and dancing talents. And I'm sure it brought in lots of business. As I always say, those producers are brilliant.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#473Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 6:42pm

"The major difference is that JCM was creating a role FOR himself to perform, which means it was built, first and foremost, to showcase his strengths as well as challenge him in areas he wanted (and felt he needed) to be challenged artistically. It wasn't written standalone, and then he thought, "You know, maybe *I* should do this..."

Don't really know what to tell ya. I was affected by NPH's performance more than JCM's performance. Don't exactly know why. NPH hit a chord in me that JCM did not. Not his fault or anything. Not anyone's fault really.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the performance you give onstage. Everyone has their own favorite Hedwig and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sure JCM isn't heartbroken that I liked Neil better than him. 

Updated On: 7/30/15 at 06:42 PM

ChildofEarth
#474Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/30/15 at 6:50pm

I think Michael was actually my favorite Hedwig* so far... 

* I don't include JCM in Hedwig rankings.

Michael is by far my favorite other than JCM. Andrew and Darren are interchangeable to me in the next position, with Neil coming after and Taye bringing up the rear. 

This will all change when Alan Cumming takes over....wishful thinking.

Videos