pixeltracker

Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie- Page 2

Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/20/09 at 5:59pm

you are assuming the film score will be "toned down."

Well, they pretty much all are. Listening to the film soundtrack CD is always more thrilling than what you actually hear in the theatre. The voices are shoved up front and everything else takes a back seat. I heard it in Moulin Rouge, Chicago, Dreamgirls, Phantom of the Opera, Rent, Hairspray, Mamma Mia, etc. And I expect no less from Rock of Ages, but I think in the case of this show, it will be a larger detriment than the previous musicals simply because the show itself rests so much on the conceptualization of the live rock concert atmosphere and experience. I don't think it's a ridiculous assumption in the least. In fact, I think it' more ridiculous to assume otherwise. But I would love to be proven otherwise.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

snarkywannabedreamer Profile Photo
snarkywannabedreamer
#26re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/20/09 at 6:35pm

It's all a matter of opinion. I would agree on half of those shows but I think Hairspray, Chicago, and Dreamgirls happen to be well-balanced and nicely mixed movie musicals from a sound aspect... and as I understand it the same team that did those are doing ROA. I agree that the stage show embraces the live elements of a rock concert but as I understand it from talking to people involved in the show, the film will be a celebration of the birth of the music video era and utilize what is truly cinematic as opposed to just put up the stage show on film.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#27re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/20/09 at 6:49pm

I'm going to bet this bombs.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#28re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/20/09 at 8:00pm

"and as I understand it the same team that did those are doing ROA."

snarkywannabedreamer, where exactly did you get that information from and exactly who is the team that was responsible for the sound mixing on those films?
Updated On: 10/20/09 at 08:00 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#29re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/20/09 at 8:09pm

I usually think jukebox musicals work much better as films than stage shows anyways, so I'm not really opposed to the idea. Just like I had a blast seeing Meryl Streep tackle the ABBA songbook (and I would have hated the film had it been cast with a stage actress), I'm looking forward to movie stars singing these songs, I have no interest in seeing stage actors cast in this. Wasn't Patrick Wilson rumored for this? He'd be great.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#30re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/20/09 at 8:48pm

I am actually excited for this! Casting wise ( and I doubt this will happen) I would love to see Kristen Bell be Sherrie.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#31re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/20/09 at 9:01pm

How quickly we forget:

not only did Shankman's HAIRSPRAY film make money, it also got mostly excellent reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hairspray/

Top Critics on Tomatometer- 97%!!!

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#32re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/20/09 at 9:34pm

I was very pleased with his adaptation of Hairspray... as was most of the people I know.
I think this is a god fit.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#33re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/20/09 at 9:38pm

Also, let's not forget that the show was written with several "insert celebrity here" roles in it. Lonny and Dennis are obviously intended to parallel Jack Black and Kyle Gass, respectively, with Gass having actually played Dennis in Los Angeles.

Justice could not be more Queen Latifah-esque if her name had been "Latifah, the Queen."

And tell me Will Arnett wouldn't be perfect as the Mayor.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#34re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/20/09 at 9:40pm

I won't be hard to cast this movie...

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#35re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/21/09 at 12:31am

Please, no to Queen Latifah. It says a lot about Hollywood when every black female character in a musical is played by Queen Latifah.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#36re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/21/09 at 12:51am

Am I the only one who would MUCH prefer HAIRSPRAY 2 for Shankman's next musical, as was previously announced?

Or is that not ready yet? Wasn't that Marc & Scott's first post- CMIYC project before Mattel, etc.?

P

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#37re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/21/09 at 12:56am

^I want both, actually. re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie

StarStruckGB Profile Photo
StarStruckGB
#38re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/21/09 at 5:46pm

Personally, I love the show ::shields herself:: and I'm curious to see just how well they can translate it to a film version, it'll be interesting to say the least. I think it deserves a fair shot, I'll certainly go see it.
I also have to wonder who first decided to go ahead with the idea, and so soon.

Perhaps I'm being ignorant, but have they made any actual casting decisions? Aside from Drew and Sherrie that is.

Goshen doesn't do High-School-shows.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#39re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/21/09 at 5:48pm

Love the idea of Kristen Bell in this.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#40re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/21/09 at 8:04pm

I don't think Bell has the vocal talent to even attempt Sherrie. I think she'd make an AMAZING Regina, though.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#41re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/21/09 at 9:55pm

I believe the plan was to make a film of ROA from the start of mounting the show on stage.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#42re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/21/09 at 10:29pm

Yes. New Line Cinema is one of the major producers of the Broadway run, to the point that many people theorized that the stage show is nothing but a commercial for the intended movie.

snarkywannabedreamer
#43re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/22/09 at 9:50am

New Line is not a producer of the show and the purchase of the film rights came AFTER they had their Broadway theater secured. New Line didn't even invest money in the stage show. The only thing they did for the stage show of ROA is produce the OCR. You got bad info, darquegk.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
massofmen
#45re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/22/09 at 11:34am

darquegk,
you just make all that info up? I mean I don't know how snarky knows all of that but you just backed down right away without a fight which means that you know what you wrote is completely false.
So you just came onto the message board and made up all that info. Like you sat down and just started writing crap that has no validity and posed it as truth, and factual. Now you are going to say someone told you that and you believed them, aren't you

That is unbelievable to me. How old are you? Honestly that's incredible to me that you wanted people to think you actually knew something about the goings on of ROAges. And you didn't even write "i think...". You wrote it as if you knew all of this from the CEO of New Line.

I am always amazed by people and their ineptitude.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#46re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/22/09 at 11:41am

No, what I mean is that i had read and misinterpreted comments with that sort of theory on other ROA posts here on the board over time, and misinterpreted the New Line production credit on the record as a production credit for the whole show.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#47re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/22/09 at 12:07pm

As a fan of ROA, my concern is Shankman's statement of casting the film with movie stars.

One of the things that ruined Hairspray for me was the very miscast John Travolta. Uma Thurman was dreadful in The Producers.

If you are gonna cast Hollywood, then cast it right, and at least use appropriate actors.

The key is making the movie fun. If it can't keep the camp fun over the top element that the current show has then just forget it.

snarkywannabedreamer
#48re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/22/09 at 12:26pm

and not to beat up on Dar..whatever anymore than we have to, but your comment about how the characters of Lonny and Dennis were "obviously intended to parallel Jack Black and Kyle Gass" is also wrong. Yes, Kyle played the part in Los Angeles but as I have been told by a very reliable source, neither part was written with either of those guys in mind... the Jack Black-ness of Lonny is a creation of Mitch Jarvis (the actor) not the writer. Take a breath and as that guy Jesus told the apostles, "Write what you know."

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#49re: Adam Shankman To Direct/Choreograph The Rock Of Ages Movie
Posted: 10/22/09 at 12:52pm

I do think the movie could be fun with this cast, with a tongue in cheek nod to American Idol:

Drew: Constantine Maroulis (He's good, keep him)
Sherrie: Scarlett Johannson
Lonny: Brad Pitt
Dennis: Kevin Bacon
Stacee Jaxx: Adam Lambert
Justice: Jennifer Hudson
Hertz: Will Ferrell
Franz: Neil Patrick Harris
Regina: Amy Sedaris
Mayor: Dennis Hopper

Arsenal: Bon Jovi

Videos