#25Sound of Music revival rumors
Posted: 4/25/10 at 4:50pm

She did Little Women....

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#29Sound of Music revival rumors
Posted: 4/26/10 at 11:08am

laura benati would do a fantastic job

Which...you know... is why she played the part in the last revival...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#30Sound of Music revival rumors
Posted: 4/26/10 at 11:10am

Why are people still taking this seriously?

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#31Sound of Music revival rumors
Posted: 4/26/10 at 11:39am

"I assume Kristin Chenoweth is playing Gretyl? "

LOL

"it's a dirty little war"

beautywickedlover
#32Sound of Music revival rumors
Posted: 4/26/10 at 11:56am

I did not think Sutton was a soprano.

aliceripleystheshiz
#33Sound of Music revival rumors
Posted: 4/26/10 at 2:58pm

Ummmm....

LEIGH ANN LARKIN AS MARIA!!!!!!

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#34Sound of Music revival rumors
Posted: 4/26/10 at 8:47pm

While most of the cast is whack, I think that Sutton Foster would be an incredible Maria. She is very much ideal for the part, and I think would bring an incredible freshness to the piece (which is due for a revival).

Tony Danza would be a delightful Max.

Cady Huffman? Puh-leeze. I agree with whomever posted the luminous Rachel York. And Sarah Uriarte Berry for the Mother Abbess.

Leigh Ann Larkin is not awful casting, but I don't think she's the best actress.

I also think that Laura Osnes, Erin Davie, or Betsy Wolfe would all be sensational as Maria.

Updated On: 4/26/10 at 08:47 PM

rjm516
#35Sound of Music revival rumors
Posted: 4/26/10 at 9:47pm

Hilarious cast.

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#36Sound of Music revival rumors
Posted: 4/26/10 at 9:53pm

I actually agree with the poster who suggested Laura Osnes for Maria. I think she could do some great stuff with the role -- not that this revival was/is even going to happen in the first place.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#37Sound of Music revival rumors
Posted: 4/26/10 at 11:34pm

When the ALW produced version was playing in Toronto, there was talk of a Broadway company (that was to open last year). Perhaps it still might happen.
Sound of Music Toronto

RainbowJude Profile Photo
RainbowJude
#381996 SOUTH PACIFIC production?
Posted: 4/27/10 at 1:34pm

Lower down in the same thread in which this "news" was "announced", the original poster also pimps a revival of South Pacific at the Broadhurst starring Christine Andreas as Nellie (and in which the poster's aunt appeared). He claims this was 'just a fill in show' but hat it 'got good reviews and the cast performed at the Tony's of 1996'. He also says it was 'filmed it professionally' but was never released because the 'Glenn Close movie version would have been a risk if they had released it'. Whatever that means.

Not to cast any aspersions here, but I would like to figure out the details of this production if it did indeed exist, as it's not listed on Christine Andreas's website either (she does seem to have been pretty busy around that time too, performing The Fields of Ambrosia in London in 1996 before a series of concert dates in London, Paris, Rome, Australia and at the White House before she started rehearsals for The Scarlet Pimpernel in 1997) nor does it seems to have a performance on the 1996 Tony Awards, which I still have on VHS. To perform on the 1996 Tony Awards, that basically means that this show would have had to have been running in the April prior to that season's awards ceremony, as the Broadhurst Theatre seems to have been pretty busy between Kiss of the Spider Woman and Once Upon a Mattress: it was home to Kiss of the Spider Woman until 1 July 1995, then to The Tempest from 10 October 1995 - 31 December 1995 (including previews but excluding rehearsals) and to Getting Away With Murder from 20 February 1996 - 31 March 1996 (including previews but excluding rehearsals) before Once Upon a Mattress started previews on 18 November 1996. Obviously there is the gap between Getting Away With Murder and Once Upon a Mattress, but I can't find any online reference to a production of South Pacific , official or otherwise, filling the space at that time.

I'm super keen to solve this mystery, but I can't seem to post on that site to ask this poster to check out some more details of this alleged production with his aunt. Needless to say, I'm highly doubt that it ever happened. But in case it was a concert or something like that, I thought I'd see if anyone here had heard of something like this.
Sutton Foster to play Maria (with SOUTH PACIFIC digression)

Musical Cyberspace: a tribute to the musicals of Broadway and beyond.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#391996 SOUTH PACIFIC production?
Posted: 4/27/10 at 2:59pm

It's not true. Mystery solved.

#401996 SOUTH PACIFIC production?
Posted: 4/27/10 at 3:14pm

Yeah it's not like this would baffle Jessica Fletcher- Like my all-monkey production of Oh, Calcutta! this whole thing is completely bogus.

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#411996 SOUTH PACIFIC production?
Posted: 4/27/10 at 3:20pm

Well, you know what they say about rumors. They make a ru out of mor and s.

Shut it down!

With Irma you gotta do something!

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#421996 SOUTH PACIFIC production?
Posted: 4/27/10 at 3:26pm

Well, let's start some real casting, dang it!

Maria - Spencer Kayden (Jennifer Cody on matinees)
Captain Von Trapp – Kevin Cahoon
Mother Abbess – Jackie Hoffman
Elsa Schrader – Lea Delaria
Max Detweiler – Tom Wopat
Liesl – Anne Harada
Rolf – Tituss Burgess
Other children- John Tartaglia, Rick Lyon, Jennifer Barnhart w/puppets

#431996 SOUTH PACIFIC production?
Posted: 4/27/10 at 3:28pm

On a dull phone call this morning I was sketching out an all-glee cast: Sue as Mother Abbess, Mr. Shuester as the Captain, Rachel as Maria, Kurt as Gretl....

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#441996 SOUTH PACIFIC production?
Posted: 4/27/10 at 3:43pm

Hmmph...this thread has been going for almost three days and NO ONE has mentioned Anne Hathaway as Maria? Frankly, I'm a little disappointed.

If this were to happen, I agree with Rachel York as the Baroness, and I'd suggest Judy Kuhn as Mother Abbess.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#451996 SOUTH PACIFIC production?
Posted: 4/27/10 at 3:47pm

One thing everyone is forgetting is that Maria was originally written as an alto (for Mary Martin).

I know Julie Andrews trumps any memories of Martin, but if someone wants to revive this piece of diabetic foolishness again, why not try reverting to the original idea and go back to the original keys? Casting a soppy soprano (like Rebecca [Filthy] Luker) again is facile.

Gothampc
#461996 SOUTH PACIFIC production?
Posted: 4/27/10 at 3:52pm

"The very good director Susan Schulman directed the last revival, which begs the question: What the hell happened to her?"

Did you see the last revival? It had all the excitement of a funeral. The front curtain was magnificent. It had a beautiful snow globe in it. Then the curtain went up, the show started and everyone was begging for the curtain to go back down so that we could all look at the pretty snow globe because it was the only interesting thing about the production.

I'm envisioning a production where Maria plays the tuba, the Captain plays the flute, Max plays a harp, the Baronness plays the maracas, Rev. Mother plays the banjo and all the children play accordians. Can't you just see little Gretel pumping away to "Do Re Mi"?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Dollypop
#471996 SOUTH PACIFIC production?
Posted: 4/27/10 at 5:18pm

Now if they could only get Loretta Swit to play the Mother Abbess!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

aliceripleystheshiz
#481996 SOUTH PACIFIC production?
Posted: 4/27/10 at 6:11pm

I will second my own and some other opinions now:

Leigh Ann Larkin as Maria...she played the role before, and I think she would belt the crap out of it.

Rachel York as the Barroness. Also played it before, apparently was hilarious and amazing, stole the show.

Maybe Marissa O' Donnell of SHREK and the ANNIE tour as Liesl....

Some more of the little A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC Fredrika's and you have an amazing cast. Alexander Hanson played the Captin in the recent London revival. JUST thought I'd leave that on here to see what comes up.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#491996 SOUTH PACIFIC production?
Posted: 4/27/10 at 6:50pm

Kurt as Gretl...

This made me lol.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

BwayBaby2000 Profile Photo
BwayBaby2000
#501996 SOUTH PACIFIC production?
Posted: 4/28/10 at 2:45am

The problem with shows with kids is that producers and directors are (understandably) wary of casting someone without broadway credits on their resume. The catch is most kids haven't been on Broadway-- so you just end up with the same boring and bad kids from the 13 cast and Grinch.

Videos