pixeltracker

TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences & More- Page 2

TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences & More

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#25TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:08pm

I hope that Barbara Cook getting bumped down means a nomination for Kate Baldwin and/or Christiane Noll...two of the most deserving performances of the season imo.

Also the featured actress in a musical race just got very very interesting.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#26TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:08pm

I also suspect Williams will get nominated along with Cook now.

algy Profile Photo
algy
#27TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:10pm

So confused over American Idiot. Surely new musicals are eligible for score unless the committee decides otherwise? But then what do you do about jukebox musicals. Hey actually that's a thought. Is it announced if the backcatalogue shows are eligible - or it it assumed they're not unless we're told otherwise?

Pianist3912
#28TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:11pm

This just made things about 1000x more interesting! Really looking out for the actress in a musical categories, lead and featured.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#29TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:12pm

"Playbill.com has also learned that the score for the acclaimed new musical American Idiot — based on the Green Day album of the same name — is not eligible in the Best Score category."

Rock music to my ears.

sundayclothes2
#30TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:13pm

I feel bad (well as bad as you can feel for a TONY nominee) for the other two actresses who are in Best Featured Actress. Poor things will have no hope for winning. Although, it would be quite the honor to be nominated alongside Lansbury and Cook, could you imagine?!

"Playbill.com has also learned that the score for the acclaimed new musical American Idiot — based on the Green Day album of the same name — is not eligible in the Best Score category."

I wanted to see Green Day win. That category just got a lot less interesting.
Updated On: 4/30/10 at 01:13 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#31TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &

Memphis may now become a Tony winning score. Jesus.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#32TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &

"Hello Tony nomination for Kate Baldwin!"

:) and she deserves it too! TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#33TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &

Playbill just edited their story to add that American Idiot is NOT eligible for Best Score.

I bet the folks at Memphis were really glad to hear that.

mina3
#34TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:15pm

American Idiot did not petition for its score to be eligible. My understanding is that all plays with scores are eligible, which should include Enron, Fences, and Red (and possibly others?).

I'd really love for Christiane Noll to get a nomination now that Cook has been moved. Her performance was one of the most special things about the Ragtime revival.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#35TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:15pm

Also, I just realized. If Red is eligible for Best Score (not sure what the decision was there), Adam Cork could potentially be nominated for 5 TONYS in the same year. Score for Enron and Red, and sound design for Enron, Red, and Hamlet. I doubt he will get all 5 nominations, but the fact that it COULD happen is exciting. What's the record number of nominations anyone has gotten in a given year?

[tos]fan999 Profile Photo
[tos]fan999
#36TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:17pm

Tuesday morning can't come fast enough!

I'm very excited that Enron is eligible.

<-----Bernadette Peters and Alexander Hanson in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Send in the clowns...Send in the crowds!

"I prefer neurotic people. I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface."-Stephen Sondheim

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#37TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:22pm

This will make Angela Lansbury's sixth Tony Award even more significant - now that she'll be up against both Cook and Finneran. I can't wait to hear "And the winner for featured actress in a musical is...Angela Lansbury!"

Ryan4
#38TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:24pm

So...Royal Family is eligible for score apparently?

playbill.com:

However, the Maury Yeston score for the recent revival of The Royal Family, which was specifically written for that production, has been deemed eligible for a nomination.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/139184-Tony-Rulings-Enron-Royal-Family-Eligible-for-Best-Score-American-Idiot-Fela-Are-Not

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#39TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:25pm

I realize I haven't seen FENCES yet (though I plan to), but since the Best Leading Actress in a Play race will likely boil down to Davis vs. Lavin, I would pick Lavin. Her performance is out of this world.

Wayman_Wong
#40TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:27pm

Now that the Tony rulings are done, I had heard that 'American Idiot' might not submit their score, for fear that it would backfire. I never understood how they would've had a leg to stand on. The award is called: 'Best Original Score Written for the Theatre.' One, in recent years, the Tonys have used a rule of thumb where 50% of the score needed to be new.

Two, 'Written for the Theatre' implies some sort of intent. 'American Idiot' might've started out as a concept album, but there's no evidence that it was ever meant to be staged. As it's been pointed out to me, at least 'Tommy' came out with a libretto with defined characters, while there's nothing in the liner notes to the 'AI' album that hints at any theatrical intent. Billie Joe Armstrong also gave an interview with Entertainment Weekly where he said that he never knew he was writing a musical at the time Green Day was working on it, and that he never expected it to be actually staged. The only reason it's onstage is because Michael Mayer came up with the idea 2 years ago. Anything they've been saying lately about how they always wanted to stage it, has been rewriting history.

Updated On: 4/30/10 at 01:27 PM

sundayclothes2
#41TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:30pm

Now that the Tony rulings are done, I had heard that 'American Idiot' might not submit their score, for fear that it would backfire.

How would it have backfired? Worst that would have happened is it wouldn't have been eligible for Best Score, which is the case anyways.

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#42TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:31pm

Although Viola's chances are slim to none now, I am still rooting for her.

"it's a dirty little war"

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#43TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:31pm

"This will make Angela Lansbury's sixth Tony Award even more significant - now that she'll be up against both Cook and Finneran."

Give it up, Trace. Finneran has it in the sack.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#44TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:34pm

"The Twyla Tharp dance musical Come Fly Away is eligible for nomination in the Best Book category."

WHATTTTT?? If Come Fly Away is nominated for Best Book, I will ACTUALLY kill a puppy.

sundayclothes2
#45TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:36pm

"The Twyla Tharp dance musical Come Fly Away is eligible for nomination in the Best Book category."

LOL LOL LOL

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#46TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &

Memphis may now become a Tony winning score. Jesus.

I know. Depressing thought, isn't it?

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#47TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &

Is it really safe to assume that Cook poses any real competition. She is wonderful in Sondheim on Sondheim, but she has been doing the material she sings in the show for many years (and she has recorded most of those songs).

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#48TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:37pm

Piper, how are Viola Davis' chances slim to none? She got rave reviews and her show is a huge hit. She definitely has competition from Linda Lavin but I would think she has a very good chance of winning.

Also, Playbill has added that Branford Marsalis is eligible for Best Score for Fences. Updated On: 4/30/10 at 01:37 PM

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#49TONYS Announce Eligibility for RED, Sondheim, Enron, Tenor, Idiot, Fences &
Posted: 4/30/10 at 1:39pm

"WHATTTTT?? If Come Fly Away is nominated for Best Book, I will ACTUALLY kill a puppy."

That comment was NOT VERY NICE...however, it was F&^*ing hysterical!!!!

Videos