pixeltracker

WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2- Page 2

WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#25WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2
Posted: 9/15/10 at 7:25pm

Neither Promises or N2N are 'press release official', but my magic eight ball says "All signs point to yes".

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#26WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2
Posted: 9/15/10 at 8:07pm

I liked it, and am glad I saw this production. I'd never seen any version live on stage before, so it was emotional for me each time, even if this wasn't a revival befitting this classic piece of musical theater. Thanks to all involved.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#27WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2
Posted: 9/15/10 at 9:25pm

Wait, what was wrong with Olivo?

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#28WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2
Posted: 9/15/10 at 9:27pm

^She broke her foot during the show back in May.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#29WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2
Posted: 9/15/10 at 9:27pm

She broke her foot in May. She was recently in rehearsals to return, but now she isn't due to "doctor's orders." It seems fishy to me.

TheatreFan4
#30WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2
Posted: 9/15/10 at 9:31pm

Me thinks she didn't wanna return.

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#31WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2
Posted: 9/15/10 at 10:43pm

It's not fishy. There were complications with the healing and she wouldn't be able to dance if she were to return.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#32WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2
Posted: 9/15/10 at 11:57pm

Let's hope the next revival will restore the beauty and dramatic power of Jerome Robbins's glorious choreography.

Let's hope by the next revival, people won't still be treating it as a museum piece, so that this show will last long into the future.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#33WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2
Posted: 9/16/10 at 12:17am

Exit Stage Left
by Karen Olivo on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 11:08pm
I know that I don't need to explain this but I want everyone to hear the truth from me.
After I broke my foot in May I had a difficult recovery period. It started with the hopes that I would return to the show within a 6 week period. And after that period ended and I wasn't ready to return I plagued myself with a number of other deadlines. I have learned now that the body will not be rushed. I tried so many things to get prepared for Anita. I did state of the art treatments to heal my bone at a rapid rate, I changed my diet, I did all the physical therapies available and I even tried to do a revised show. When it came down to it my doctor and I had to admit that my foot was not prepared for the grind.
I am not happy about not being able to close my show. At one point this past week I felt as if it was the worst thing that could have ever happened to me. And then I got some perspective on the situation. My body is telling me to stop and heal properly and I would be a fool not to listen.

I am thankful for all the support that I have received via FB and Twitter. Those kind words are truly a comfort to me on those days when I realize I will never play Anita again.

I will keep my chin up and look for the next character to throw myself into...well, maybe not "throw"...

Karen Olivo

Sawyer44
#34WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2
Posted: 9/16/10 at 12:19am

Karen Olivo wrote this note on her facebook...

"Exit Stage Left
by Karen Olivo on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 at 11:08pm
I know that I don't need to explain this but I want everyone to hear the truth from me.
After I broke my foot in May I had a difficult recovery period. It started with the hopes that I would return to the show within a 6 week period. And after that period ended and I wasn't ready to return I plagued myself with a number of other deadlines. I have learned now that the body will not be rushed. I tried so many things to get prepared for Anita. I did state of the art treatments to heal my bone at a rapid rate, I changed my diet, I did all the physical therapies available and I even tried to do a revised show. When it came down to it my doctor and I had to admit that my foot was not prepared for the grind.
I am not happy about not being able to close my show. At one point this past week I felt as if it was the worst thing that could have ever happened to me. And then I got some perspective on the situation. My body is telling me to stop and heal properly and I would be a fool not to listen.

I am thankful for all the support that I have received via FB and Twitter. Those kind words are truly a comfort to me on those days when I realize I will never play Anita again.

I will keep my chin up and look for the next character to throw myself into...well, maybe not "throw"...

Karen Olivo"

TheatreFan4
#35WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2
Posted: 9/16/10 at 12:21am

Well then I apologize to Miss Olivo.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#36WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2
Posted: 9/16/10 at 3:24am

I love Karen! Muahzzz to her.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

thisisthetheatre2
#37WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2
Posted: 9/16/10 at 11:42am

she's free to play rape victims on Law & Order: SVU now.

AEA AGMA SM
#38WEST SIDE STORY to Close January 2
Posted: 9/16/10 at 11:46am

A wise choice for her not to rush the healing. Just ask Christina Applegate, who has said that one foot is now a full size bigger than the other as a result of going back into Sweet Charity before it was truly healed.

Videos