pixeltracker

Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...- Page 2

Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#25Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 8:58am

"Funny Girl 2064!" The Hundredth Anniversary Revival!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

bwaylvsong
#26Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 9:00am

She's not really right for the role, but holy vocals!
Stephanie J Block Funny Girl Medley

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#27Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 9:01am

One of the first songs, IF A GIRL ISN'T PRETTY, is obviously being cut. What are they thinking?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars

I really don't think they should attempt a revival unless they already have someone in mind for the part.

This is one of those shows where you wait patiently until the right person comes along for the revival. You don't plan the revival first and hope the right person comes along.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner

One of the first songs, IF A GIRL ISN'T PRETTY, is obviously being cut. What are they thinking?

raker
#30Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 9:02am

What's the deal with Broadway musicals casting middle-aged women in ingenue parts and casting goddesses to play homely girls. There must be a young actress who would be credible as Fanny Brice—talented but not a Miss Atlantic City.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#31Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 9:15am

"There must be a young actress who would be credible as Fanny Brice—talented but not a Miss Atlantic City."

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

raker
#32Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 9:17am

I was thinking Benanti and O'Hara. Goddesses.

Donthatecongratulate Profile Photo
Donthatecongratulate
#33Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 9:28am

"I think this is a lose-lose situation, which is probably why this show hasn't had a NY revival yet."

you're absolutely right best12bars. Benanti's all wrong look-wise and vocally. Factually, Michele doesn't have the vocal chops either. Her voice is cute, but doesn't sound very womanly.

They should do a public documented national search, ala legally blonde, that way attracting the public's interest in the show & guaranteeing ticket sales.

Who the hell put this in Sher's hands? Impending disaster.

"Don't f*** a baby. I'll get rid of your AIDS. If you f*** this frog."

bwayfan7000
#34Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 10:03am

"I've said it before and I'll say it again... based on her youtube videos, Marla Mindelle would be perfection in the role. How is she in Sister Act?"

In my opinion, pretty fantastic. She'd be interesting in the role as well.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#35Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 10:11am

Lord, this entire idea is nothing but a foolish bore.

No one is ever going to surpass (or even match) the original. The production will probably be scaled down to 1/2 the size of the original cast and 1/3 of the orchestra.

And no matter who is cast, they'll be compared, ultimately unfavorably, to Stresand. And no one will be made a star the way Streisand was made a star by this show.

The whole thing is a dull, pointless, Roundaboutian misconception.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#36Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 10:42am

Nicole Parker could never, ever sing this role.

O'Hara is completely wrong for the role.

Can Benanti belt the score well enough? She has the charisma, but I'm not sure if she could sing it properly.
Updated On: 5/6/11 at 10:42 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#37Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 10:44am

I love Benanti- but can she meet the demands of a role like Fanny Brice, physically? Night after night? She IS known to call out.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#38Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 10:58am

Oy! I can see these four as the poker ladies, but Fanny?!
Theyz all too old!!! Except Michelle, who I like, but seems to want it a little too much.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#39Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 10:59am

Is there some other Laura Benanti out there? Is this a bagel on plate full of onion rolls? Can Fanny be prettier than the other brides in His Love Makes Me Beautiful?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#40Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 11:13am

Benanti and especially O'Hara are so seemingly wrong for the role, I'm almost fascinated to see what they would do with it. I agree with Best12 that unless you have some incredibly perfect person for the role as everyone associates it, it's probably a wiser decision to cast the part with an actress completely different from Streisand.

I mean if Barbara Cook could play the role in the touring company...

Sirius Black Profile Photo
Sirius Black
#41Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 11:21am

Funny Girl is about a GIRL not a woman. Must find a new person, someone young. And she MUST be credible as someone from the Lower East Side. Bart Sher is a bore. Please God, let someone else do this show, or let Adam Guettel's next show miraculously write itself so Herr Sher has something else to occupy him.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#42Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 11:31am

The musical actually covers events in Fanny Brice's life that historically happened to her between the ages of 19 - 36, so while I agree you need somebody to capture the youth of the character, the actress does need to be able to play Brice convingly as an adult woman at the height of her career.

elphabelle07 Profile Photo
elphabelle07
#43Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 11:55am

Laura Benanti is my idol, and even I think she's vocally wrong for Fanny. Acting wise, I think she'd be brilliant.
I think Anneliese van der Pol would be incredible.

"I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls!"-Funny Girl

Dollypop
#44Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:19pm

I saw the young and pretty Barbara Cook play Fanny Brice and her looks were really at odds with her performance. Vocally, she was sublime though.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

SingingChef Profile Photo
SingingChef
#45Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:30pm

I hope they choose someone age appropriate...

My votes are for:

LEA MICHELE
or
MARLA MINDELLE

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#46Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:57pm

My vote is still for Stephanie J. Block. I think she could do a great job under Sher's direction.

baritonepride
#47Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 1:09pm

Egan & Murney are two great choices. And LuPone would just rock it, if only she were a few decades younger. Although, that Grannie Bryce thing could actually work...

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#48Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 1:12pm

LESLIE LESLIE LESLIE
Miss Kritzner is the ONLY one to play this part.
Yes, many think Lea Michelle should do it but Leslie needs something finally to throw her into orbit.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

Broadway_Boy
#49Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 1:52pm

Lea Michele is NOT "in the running for FUNNY GIRL." And you can quote me on that. I know for a fact.

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

Videos