pixeltracker

Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...

Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:30am

Per Riedel...

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/funny_search_gets_serious_jMOFxN1yuQfdRJ3YsGdndI

O'Hara seems all wrong. Benanti and Parker are not strong belters. hmmm. Updated On: 5/6/11 at 12:30 AM

bwayfan7000
#2Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:35am

To say that O'Hara would be miscast is an understatement, love her though I do. I think Benanti could handle it, as could Parker and Michele, but my choice is Kritzer. Girl's amazing. Did anybody see her at Papermill?

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#2Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:39am

I wish they would consider Kritzer, she'd be perfect. Or even better, go with a total unknown.

Kelli O'Hara is all wrong for the part, and much as I love Laura's voice, I don't think it'd work for Fanny at all. I could see Nicole Parker doing it though.

All I ask is please, no Lea Michele. Her performance at the Tonys was embarrassing and the definition of trying too hard.
Updated On: 5/6/11 at 12:39 AM

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#3Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:39am

Kritzer all the way for me too.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#4Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:40am

I just saw an interview with Benanti where she was asked about any future Broadway plans. She said there was, but she couldn't talk about it. So maybe this is it.

That said, I can't picture it.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#5Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:43am

Sadly, I really can't see anyone of these talented ladies except Lea Michele as Fanny (I don't care what anyone says, I'd pay to see it). I really like them all, but really, Kelli O'Hara? ROFLOL at the thought!

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#6Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:45am

It's odd that the only qualifier listed against Kritzer is that she's not a name when none of the other women listed (besides Michele) are either. She's very much still in the running, and she's the only person on that list who could pull it off.

The fact that Kelli O'Hara is even an idea is a joke. She's a blonde, blue eyed soprano straight out of the heartland. On what planet is that Fanny Brice? And while Benanti isn't short on personality, she is far too conventionally attractive to play a character who finds the very idea of singing a song called "His Love Makes Me Beautiful" a laughable proposition.

If these are the types of people Sher is considering, he's sure demonstrating a severe misunderstanding of the piece.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 5/6/11 at 12:45 AM

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#7Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:45am

Kritzer. full stop.

(Also- is Stephanie J. Block no longer one of the names being tossed around here?)

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:51am

I'd love to see Benanti do it! Unlike Michele, she's a great singer who can also act and she deserves a show like this with her name above the title.

bwayfan7000
#9Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 12:53am

Somethingwicked, on planet Bartlett Sher. The reasoning behind that is obvious, albeit misguided.

And you want a belter? Kritzer. Has the look? Kritzer. Can do the right sort of comedy? Kritzer. Other than Michele, none of them are really names. I'd see Benanti do it, but Kritzer is the rightest out of the list.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

gravity87
#10Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 1:02am

Block sure had the voice, and then some. Unfortunately, she just isn't funny enough to play it on Broadway. She does a great job in VERA STARK, but misses some great laugh opportunities. Love her, though I do, in a show titled FUNNY GIRL, you need a BRILLIANT comedienne.

Kritzer all the way, that is a voice to die for, and her acting range is unbelievable. Sign her up!

Barbour Pole Profile Photo
Barbour Pole
#11Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 1:04am

I can't believe that this is a real conversation.

Kritzer.

(although the Kelli O'Hara part is a little hilarious. He would try to put her in Porgy and Bess if given the opportunity. Bart, cut the cord, dude.)

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#12Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 1:10am

Hopefully Bart will be able to catch Farah Alvin in Funny Girl in PA coming up. I would love for her to be considered.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#13Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 1:11am

Benanti certainly has the personality and the comic chops! My god, I would die in all the best ways if she played Fanny. I think that she has a "interesting" enough look, although she is beautiful. They frumped her up for a part of Gypsy, so why not do it in a different way again? She isn't exactly what comes to mind when I think of a beltress, but it could work.

O'Hara, as much as I LOVE her, isn't right for it.

Although I love the idea of Benanti now just because I hadn't thought of it before, I also think that Parker and Kritzer would also be excellent choices. These ladies are perhaps better suited for it than Benanti, but I got pretty excited thinking about Benanti in the role.
Updated On: 5/6/11 at 01:11 AM

mattywhits Profile Photo
mattywhits
#14Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 1:13am

I ADORE Laura Benanti, and I think her voice is incredible, but I just don't believe she could sing the score...she RARELY belts (even in Wedding Singer she was mixing her face off, and the music was in the world of 80s pop...) and when she does, it's not very strong/high....I would be interested to see if she can do it, but I don't see her being able to sing the score 8 times a week while still being true to who Fanny was- someone loud, brash, and bold (aka a belter) without vocal issues. But I'd be there in a heartbeat to give her the chance. That woman can ACT. And she's funny- I agree with everyone else so far who've said that she and Kritzer are the only names listed so far who would actually live up to the title "FUNNY Girl".

husk_charmer
#15Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 2:13am

Am I the only one who isn't on the Kritzer train? I just find her loud and annoying.

If it were me casting, my first choice is still Ana Gasteyer, with Benanti and Parker being my backups.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#16Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 2:28am

I personally would LOVE to see Nicole Parker in the role. Her belt is strong and clear (I know some on here dont like her but the girl's got some major pipes) and she is obviously trained in the comedic aspects and also could pull of the more dramatic bits.
I like SJB's voice...but not so sure of the acting chops.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#17Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 2:54am

Am I the only one who isn't on the Kritzer train? I just find her loud and annoying.

Nope. I am right there with you. I have never been impressed by her in any show I have seen her in.

HistoryBoy2 Profile Photo
HistoryBoy2
#18Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 6:42am

I'm just gonna throw this out there - I think Patti LuPone could have nailed this in her heyday. If Babs can play Grandma Rose, maybe Patti can be Old Lady Brice?

I'd also like to have seen Susan Egan have a go at it. And Julia Murney. And kind of Tina Fey.

There's pretty much no one suitable at the moment, sadly.

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#19Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 6:52am

I'd love to see Natalie Weiss sing the score!

bwaylvsong
#20Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 7:11am

I actually think Parker would be fantastic. Benanti and O'Hara, as much as I love them, are both totally wrong.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... based on her youtube videos, Marla Mindelle would be perfection in the role. How is she in Sister Act?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#21Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 8:12am

I've been suggesting Parker in prior Funny Girl threads, and she'd still be my first choice. Neither Benanti not O'Hara are even close to the right type, and I don't know that Michele has the comedic chops. For me, Parker is the right package: quirky, funny, with a non-traditional look.

As for Kritzer, I saw her at the Papermill, and she was terrific, but having seen her, I'd rather see someone else's take on the role.

Having said all that, I was Ana Gasteyer were a little younger.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

husk_charmer
#22Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 8:14am

Patti was offered the show in the mid-80s by Jule Styne. She said then that she had no interest in filling those shoes.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#23Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 8:48am

I think this is a lose-lose situation, which is probably why this show hasn't had a NY revival yet.

Anyone who remotely imitates Streisand's performance will be criticized for it and pale in comparison.

Anyone who departs from her interpretation will be criticized for it and pale in comparison ... although a total departure sounds like it would have a (very faint) chance.

If I were them, I would be looking for a young character actress/comedienne, not a singer. Anyone who tries to "sing" these songs will lose in the comparison game. But they might win, if they have the acting chops and can charm and win over an audience with personality. The singing should be secondary, this time around.

But I agree with Reidel, the minute anybody starts to sing "People," the judgements will be harsh.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#24Michele, Benanti, O'Hara, and Parker in the running for FUNNY GIRL...
Posted: 5/6/11 at 8:55am

...or (sadly) hold out for the revival until anyone who remembers Barbra on stage no longer is able to go to the theater...

Yes there's the unforgettable film to contend with too...

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Videos