Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week

sephyr
#25Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 1:05pm

edit Updated On: 10/28/11 at 01:05 PM

sephyr
#26Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 1:06pm

I agree that an alternate system for more shows would be beneficial. A lot of these roles (especially in contemporary theater) are tough on the voice over time and having an alternate to go on at least sometimes would definitely benefit the principal in the long run, in shows where there is one character singing alot.

This Evita info is so interesting.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#27Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 1:08pm

Do I remember reading somewhere that during EVITA LuPone was miffed that she couldn't do 8 shows a week and that's one of the reasons why she would do Les Mouches to prove them wrong?

Also...I think LuPone said it took her some time to learn how to sing the role of Eve without killing herself.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#28Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 1:14pm

There was an interesting article a few months ago (can't find the link) that talked about the evolution of the Broadway 'diva' and mentioned that most contemporary composers (mostly men) actually don't have a good idea of the physiology of the female voice and don't take into consideration when crafting scores the technical demands not only of belting high notes repeatedly but the difficulty of maneuvering octaves.

LuPone has famously (and repeatedly) spoken about how Andrew Lloyd Webber 'doesn't know' how to write for woman and asks them to do nearly impossible things technically; having his female characters (for example) sing for twenty minutes in a low range then unexpectedly spiking the notes up a full octave, just as the voice has gone 'cold'.

The same article talked about how Rodgers, Hammerstein and Styne etc really understood the female voice (and the women they were writing for) -- the role of Rose in GYPSY, for example is apparently all within a single octave, and though challenging to sing, has an organic and fairly healthy progression in its demands on the actress playing her throughout the evening so that Rose's Turn is still singable after 3 hours.

EDIT: Morosco, LuPone has written and talked so much about how difficult it was to sing EVITA, that I doubt that's true. She has mentioned though that she thought the music was 'boring' and I think did LaMouche more for the creative outlet than to prove anybody of her singing prowess.

Updated On: 10/28/11 at 01:14 PM

californiasnow Profile Photo
californiasnow
#29Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 1:37pm

During the tour in the late 90s that had Raul Esparza as Che, I am pretty sure the "main" Eva did 5 shows and the alternate did 3 shows (from what I remember, it was Thursday nights, Saturday matinee, and Sunday evening). I would imagine that this was due to the fact that most touring shows play 2 shows on both Saturdays and Sundays.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#30Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 1:50pm

Do I remember reading somewhere that during EVITA LuPone was miffed that she couldn't do 8 shows a week and that's one of the reasons why she would do Les Mouches to prove them wrong?

She wrote about all of the negativity surrounding her, her alternate and the ensemble, but never said she was miffed she couldn't do 8 shows a week.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#31Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 2:51pm

Tell it to the Merm!

AEA AGMA SM
#32Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 6:15pm

Natalie Toro did the 20th anniversary tour with Esparza and did indeed only do five performances, though that was not by her request. She has said that the role sat in her voice very well and she could easily have done all eight performances if the producers would have let her.

Michael Bennett, I think I remember that article. Wasn't it an interview on Playbill with one of the replacements in the original production (I'm blanking on the name)?

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#33Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 6:29pm

I can understand the actress playing Evita only doing 6 shows a week, however, I don't understand how in the Andrew Lloyd Webber "Sound of Music", the actress playing Maria did 6 shows a week, and then had an alternate do the other 2 shows. I know it was done first because Connie Fisher had some vocal damage, but still. The later Toronto production did the reality show to cast Maria, and flaunted the idea of one actress playing Maria, only to have the runner up actress be casted as the alternate.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#34Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 8:18pm

Yea that I dont understand. Maria is FAR from a demanding role, along with Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz in London. I think its because they are reality show-created so the runner up is given the alternate to appease the fans.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

Michael Bennett
#35Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 8:57pm

Partly that and partly because often the winners of these reality shows have very little professional experience, its a safety net in case the winner isn't up to performing 8 shows a week.

AwesomeDanny
#36Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 9:38pm

This is why an alternate is needed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ3UwL97lb4&t=4m07s

I think that says enough.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#37Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 10:02pm

"Since Evita other shows adopted a shorter performance schedule. When Sarah Brightman did 'Aspects of Love' she only did six shows a week. Lea Salonga during 'Miss Saigon' only did certain performances (was it 6 or was she reduced to 5?)"

I believe the practice for a long while now in certain shows (mostly the sung through musicals/pop operas) is for leading ladies to have alternates with the 6-2 shows a week schedule. Doesn't the lead Christine in "Phantom" get two performances off a week?

I can't remember if Ann Crumb had an alternate in "Aspects of Love" when it was brought over to Broadway.

Lea Salonga initially did all 8 performances of "Miss Saigon" a week when it opened in London but because she was young and vocally untrained, it almost destroyed her voice and so they started using the alternate Kim template, which "Saigon" brought over to New York. IIRC, Salonga did 6 shows a week just like Elena Roger is scheduled to do for "Evita."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#38Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 10:16pm

Wasn't part of Equity's deal with Miss Saigon to have an American actress alternate with Salonga? Kam Cheng was the alternate; she was Chinese American.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#39Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/28/11 at 11:19pm

I don't know if that was part of the arbitration's ruling during that hot mess surrounding Equity bitching about the casting of Salonga and Jonathan Pryce that her alternate be Asian-American, but maybe it was. Either way, Salonga already was alternating with another girl in "Saigon" when she was doing the show in London.

jimmycurry01
#40Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/29/11 at 12:45am

I will once again take time to point out that during the original London run there was a time they went through 3 Evas in one night. Going through 2 was an even more common occurrence. Eva Peron is probably the single most vocally demanding role written for the musical theatre stage. It can easily destroy the voice, and vocal blow outs are common with it. That is why an alternate is necessary, as well as a standby, just in case.

On a side note, Evita will not be the only show currently on Broadway to have an alternate at certain performances. Many other musicals have also used alternates during the performance week as well.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#41Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/29/11 at 12:48am

I wish this was the Hal Prince production, I have been wanting to see his Evita since 1984.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

#42Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 10/29/11 at 12:18pm

Does anyone know what shows Elena Roger will be doing?

#43Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 11/3/11 at 3:27pm

BUMP

Anyone know what performances Elena Roger will not be playing?

Michael Bennett
#44Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 11/3/11 at 3:53pm

I heard Monday nights and Wednesday matinees, but would hate you to buy tickets based on that if it proves untrue...

Wildcard
#45Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 11/3/11 at 8:23pm

"Lea Salonga initially did all 8 performances of "Miss Saigon" a week when it opened in London but because she was young and vocally untrained, it almost destroyed her voice and so they started using the alternate Kim template…"

Right when Miss Saigon opened, Lea already had an alternate. She was seen in the Miss Saigon docu and I believe her name was listed in the original window card as well as Kim "at certain performances"

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#46Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 11/3/11 at 9:30pm

Damn it. I just bought tickets for a wednesday mat. I really wanted to see Roger, but I'm sure her alternate will still be great.

Michael Bennett
#47Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 11/3/11 at 9:46pm

I think somebody posted that ticketmaster will allow exchanges for performances bought now if they turn out to be those scheduled for the alternate.

chickfila
#48Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 11/4/11 at 9:20am

I posted that ticketmaster will exchange seats for non-Rogers performances. I bought tickets on the first day of pre-sale for a Saturday matinee - excellent seats, first row center mezz - and didn't even think about her performance schedule. I hope the rumors are true that she will perform Saturday matinees! This is really information that should've been made available prior to tickets going on sale.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#49Evita - Eva's 6 Show Week
Posted: 11/5/11 at 3:06am

I'm surprised this info wasn't available on the ticketing web sites and that Ms. Roger's schedule hasn't been nailed down yet. I assumed that would've been part of the negotiations before she signed on the dotted line.

@Wildcard "Lea Salonga initially did all 8 performances of 'Miss Saigon' a week when it opened in London but because she was young and vocally untrained, it almost destroyed her voice and so they started using the alternate Kim template."
----------------
"Right when Miss Saigon opened, Lea already had an alternate. She was seen in the Miss Saigon docu and I believe her name was listed in the original window card as well as Kim 'at certain performances'"

Monique Wilson was cast as Lea Salonga's understudy as as the bar girl Mimi. It was only after Salonga took a leave of absence due to her vocal problems that Salonga began alternating the role with Wilson. Up until then, Salonga did all 8 shows at Drury Lane. The London window card listed the names of the leading actors such as Jonathan Pryce et al. then it stated "Introducing Lea Salonga as MISS SAIGON."

Maybe you are confusing the window cards between the New York and London productions. For the Broadway transfer, the window card listed Kam Cheng as "Kim at Certain Performances" when "Saigon" opened in 1991. I don't believe that was the case when "Saigon" opened in 1989 in London.

Videos