GODSPELL Reviews

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#25GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:08pm

OK.

Anyway, Time Out NY (Adam Feldman) is negative:

"Reorchestrated and sound-designed for young, modern ears, this Godspell sounds like a born-again Glee, and several performers have moments to shine (including Uzo Aduba, Telly Leung and the wonderful Lindsay Mendez). Capering through Christopher Gattelli’s joyous choreography, on David Korins’s continually surprising set, the actors are nothing if not energetic. But for all the copious tributes paid to him, Jesus is a thankless role, and Hunter Parrish is this production’s sacrifice to it; with a voice and presence as light as his ultra-blond locks, Parrish preaches softly and wears a creepily forced smile. This is Jesus as Stepford twink, and it’s regrettably in keeping with a show that, in its combination of bathos and kitsch, is a model of bad faith."

iluvtheatertrash
#26GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:09pm

Never said it was CATS.... But you're telling me you don't find the "Be a Producer but you WON'T GET COMPS" thing a little bit ridiculous?

These people think they're producers of the show. They don't think they "donated" money.

He's a sleezy guy...

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#27GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:10pm

Time Out (as bjh2114 posted) is two stars. Here's the link:

http://newyork.timeout.com/arts-culture/theater/2190815/review-godspell

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 11/7/11 at 08:10 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#28GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:12pm

Never said it was CATS.... But you're telling me you don't find the "Be a Producer but you WON'T GET COMPS" thing a little bit ridiculous?

These people think they're producers of the show. They don't think they "donated" money.

He's a sleezy guy...

Those people didn't read the fine print. It's all there in black and white.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#29GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:14pm

^ Indeed. The SEC refused to comment on it, and only a handful of states allowed the circular to pass as kosher. That should've been a warning sign right there. Did they miss my Zero Mostel jokes? I all but painted them on a billboard.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

iluvtheatertrash
#30GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:16pm

I mean -- okay. Fact is fact, I guess.

I just don't care for this guy or his shady business practices and -- frankly -- I hope these reviews run him outta town.

BwayKitty
#31GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:27pm

The Stepford twink line has me LOLing. Minimum buy in to this travesty was 10 shares, 1 share = $100, minimum to put down was $1000.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#32GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:28pm

Of course, Matthew "I hate anything good" Murray LOVED IT! Warning: It's one of his cheesiest and lamest reviews.

For most of its two-hour-and-fifteen-minute running time, nothing can stop this Godspell from exploding straight into your heart and — dare I say it? — soul. If indeed spirituality is old-fashioned and outdated, someone forgot to tell everyone involved with this production. And thank goodness: The honesty, charm, and appeal everyone displays shows that, sometimes at least, theatregoers' prayers are indeed answered.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/world/

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

FindingNamo
#33GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:30pm

"Jesus as Stepford Twink" is a line for the ages.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

iluvtheatertrash
#34GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:37pm

Maybe she put in $1,000 then. I don't recall the amount she mentioned. I was too disgusted by the fact that she didn't even get a single comp.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#35GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:45pm

Lord, those live tweets are awful. And stupid. Someone should start tweeting the reviews to him. Her. Whomever.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#36GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:45pm

Oh my god blaxx. Just the other day, I was wondering if Matthew Murray had ever given anything ever a positive review. I didn't care enough to look, but I suspected no since he always manages to give the sole negative review to universally raved shows. Jesus Christ (literally) of course he'd be involved in this inbred mess of theatrical fangirl shilling.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

iluvtheatertrash
#37GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:46pm

Murray is an idiot. Simple as that.

And yeah, I looked briefly at the Tweets when someone mentioned them. Pretty awful. Could you imagine sitting next to this person? Yikes.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#38GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:48pm

Honestly, I sometimes think Matthew Murray just writes what he thinks the show would be like. He just asks his friends about what they saw and thought and never shows up at the theater.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#39GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 8:48pm

But he's hidden! He's hidden! I only know this because about half of the tweets are him tweeting "I"m hidden" to people.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#40GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 9:11pm

Hollywwod Reporter is negative

They certainly appear to have learned nothing from Broadway’s recent Hair revival, which succeeded by respecting the integrity of a show that will always be a period piece. “Rejoice in simplicity,” says Parrish’s Jesus at one point. But that message got tossed aside in the music meetings, along with the original score’s funky Hammond organs.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/godspell-theater-review-258325

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#41GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 9:29pm

Even the most devout atheist will find little to object to.

I find that hard to believe, Mr. Murray.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Emmaloucbway
#42GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 9:31pm

Don't mean to threadjack, but to whomever posted that Twitter link to @BroadwaySpotted, did u notice this tweet?

@beautifulsouptc they're always looking for something to be in a tizzy about. Lol I don't read bww forums.

PS follow me on twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/emmaloucbway

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#43GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 9:40pm

Newsday is negative

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/theater/godspell-fails-to-spellbind-1.3303262

BwayKitty
#44GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 9:53pm

Oy vey Ken Davenport and his antics make me want to barf. I'm just imagining his blog post when he falls on his face "Hey, it's live theatre you never know what's going to happen!" "We tried, and I'm so proud of what we accomplished!" "Anyone want a GODSPELL Tissue box?"

Let's do a flash mob with 500 crying Ken's drying their eyes with tissues from GODSPELL tissue boxes. The mere idea of that is more entertaining then anything he's actually produced.
Updated On: 11/7/11 at 09:53 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#45GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:02pm

Sorry to see the negative reviews because the show was great tonight. Lots of original Godspell-ers (Victor Garber, Martin Short, Eugene Levy, etc.) and the cast was incredible. A very joyous opening night performance.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#46GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:03pm

Theatermania is mixed to positive

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/reviews/11-2011/godspell_43856.html

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#47GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:05pm

The Philadelphia Inquirer is very positive

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/arts/20111107_Broadway_Review__Godspell.html

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#48GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:07pm

The New York Times is Negative:

"Go easy on the caffeine if you’re heading to the Broadway revival of “Godspell” that opened on Monday night at the Circle in the Square. The cast of this relentlessly perky production of the 1971 musical, which transformed parables from the Gospels into a series of singable teaching moments, virtually never stops bopping, bouncing, bounding, even trampolining across the stage and up the aisles of the theater. It’s like being trapped in a summer camp rec room with a bunch of kids who have been a little too reckless with the Red Bull..."

http://theater.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/theater/reviews/godspell-at-the-circle-in-the-square-review.html?ref=theater

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 11/7/11 at 10:07 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#49GODSPELL Reviews
Posted: 11/7/11 at 10:10pm

I'd say Isherwood is mixed to negative. He does have a few nice things to say about the cast.

Videos