pixeltracker

Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?- Page 2

Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?

#25Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 3:50pm

Never mind I found it. She must have the IQ of a skink to post that.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#26Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 3:53pm

Scripps--those were the first pre-Internet examples of the new world. Merrily had no out-of-town tryout, so the first preview was the first inkling the creators had of the mistakes they had made. And since it was happening in New York, they were right in the middle of the beehive. The number of people talking about it was much greater than the number of people who used to go to an out-of-town tryout and come back with gossip. The same goes for a gypsy run-through: That was only a few hundred spectators, not an audience-ful every night.

I'm not saying such a moratorium could be enforced or policed. I'm simply asking if it could be honored or respected on an individual basis. Once the show is open, anyone would then be free to say whatever they like.

That right would even be extended to dimwitted boundary-less foul-mouthed D-list performers who apparently don't care if they ever work again.

And, yes, I know, that nowadays tickets cost just as much in previews as they do after opening, but still...

Previews are where they fix things, and previews are where they figure out where the laughs are, and the magic of theater often takes a few performances to kick in.

(And, yes, I also enjoy Whizzer's first-night reports, but as he points out himself, those are usually driven by his bountiful love for the theater and not a desire to be bitchy.)

WOSQ
#27Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 3:54pm

I hope everyone who believes in broadcasting early preview 'reviews' goes through the preview experience at least once. You may then want to rethink your position.

It is not easy to be in a sitting duck situation, even when things are going relatively smoothly. The stress involved for everyone during the gestation period is quite enough without sniping from the outside.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#28Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 3:57pm

Buzz? Of course? And keeping your mouth shut completely? That's kind of absurd.

But what once used to be fun, bar room conversations are now essays being 'published' without, of course, any kind of personal accountability, in that most people do so anonymously (which is, of course, the true sin Morgan James committed).

And that's fine. People will do what they do. And there will always be people who are supportive and others who are c*nts. That's the way of the world. And I don't think anyone is asking that such a thing be forbidden. I do think, though, that, in light of what's happened at INTO THE WOODS (reduced rehearsal and performance opportunities due to the SH*Tshow weather we've had in NYC...for a free show, mind you), it's appropriate to ask if some of this behavior has gone off the rails. And to maybe suggest that it's appropriate to let the actors and creative staff have a performance or two of breathing room before hitting post message. It's not a law...it's a suggestion.

I've been in the situation of getting through a performance in front of people where everything has gone wrong. It's awful. But you learn very, very quickly how to keep that from happening again. And considering ITW didn't actually get a full dress rehearsal with an invited audience, I would hope that those in attendance understood that and could be a little more forgiving.

#29Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 4:03pm

If Hitler is alive today I hope he's reading Tweets about his out-of-town musical.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#30Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 4:16pm

Next you'll want to stop internet dating.

I think you have to look at a bigger picture and get with the times. Producers and others use the interweb to generate buzz, announce shows and casts and lure folk to the tent.
You have to take it all in perspective, if you read one bad comment about a preview and say, oh that's a fact, you're gonna loose out on a lot of stuff. But if you say, oh it's the bitter queen on BWay world trying to be clever and read other opinions you'll be healthier.
The good buzz on MORMAN helped hype the show early on. If you're gonna use the good you gotta accept the bad.
Bob Dylan said it: THE TIMES THEY ARE A'CHANGIN'.

SonofRobbieJ
#31Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 4:24pm

But good manners don't!

Honestly...yes. We all have to deal with it. But something like Morgan James-gate shows that perhaps...just perhaps...people could be a titch more thoughtful about what they write, how they write and when they write.

WOSQ is right. Going through a difficult time putting a show up can be rough. Very, very rough. And I think a lot of people would think twice about posting negative things immediately after a first preview if they could go through the process. But most people can't. And so others who have are simply offering a different perspective. And reminding people that posting their opinion on a website is a choice. It's not a requirement. No one is holding a gun to their head. They are choosing to put that out in the world.

Opinions are like @ssholes. Everyone has one and they all stink. Except for mine. Cause I use Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit bodywash. Rimming me is like eating breakfast.

I think I've lost the thread of this thread.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#32Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 4:28pm

Deena got it right when she said

"With that in mind, maybe the producers can go back to reduced price previews. Some shows do but many/most do not."

I think that reducing ticket prices is fair to the audience.

But also it will lower expectations, which in turn would probably temper some of the negative feedback.

You pay for less, you expect less.

....but the world goes 'round

DrMark Profile Photo
DrMark
#33Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 4:30pm

I go to NYC once a year to see shows, shop, eat, and generally have fun. Sometimes, when I go I must see shows that are in previews simply due to timing. It is nice to be able to read what other people are saying about a show in previews, so that I can decide if it is worth my time (and money) to see it while I'm there. I may not have the opportunity to see the full show, depending upon when I return and how long the show ends up running. I was at the very first preview performance of "Mary Poppins," and I really enjoyed it (well, once they got the house back on the track). I saw a preview performance of "Butley" with Nathan Lane. In that case, I would have appreciated a warning (enough said). I just thought I'd share this to give a different perspective.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#34Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 4:36pm

So, positive preview buzz is ok, but negative not. Therefore, one should read positive preview buzz one disagrees with and not respond?

Is that what you are saying?

And, if everyone complied with your proposal, then we can take it that when there is no preview buzz at all, that everyone hates it. And silence would merely speak louder than words?

Is that what you are suggesting?

Are you sure you've given this enough thought?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
After Eight
#36Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 4:41pm

"But good manners don't! "

Oh, my God!

This coming from someone who uses the most disgusting four letter word in practically every post, who regales us with a thoroughly nauseating evocation in this one.

Truly, this has to take the cake on BWW.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#37Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 4:44pm

Oh, AfterEight. The only person who clutches his pearls, and then uses them to whip people.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SonofRobbieJ
#38Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 4:45pm

How about 'thoughful,' be it positive or negative?

How about giving a show at least one performance in front of people before hanging up the black crepe?

I've seen lots and lots of things on this board that I disagree with, but I don't respond simply because I choose not to add negativity. I've also seen friends spoken about on here negatively, but have kept my mouth shut so as not to betray a confidence or because I know my friends are adults and know how to deal with this kind of bullsh*t.

How about just showing some restraint?

I say this not as a scold, but as someone who has posted some really negative sh*t on here, and I've come to regret that. Not because I got caught by someone in the business, but because in the end, it made me feel like I was disrespecting a process I have so much respect for.

Updated On: 7/25/12 at 04:45 PM

SonofRobbieJ
#39Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 4:48pm

Oh...and to After Eight.

I'm complex. Kiss my ass.

Winky emoticon implied.

After Eight
#40Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 4:49pm

^

You need to learn manners, not lecture people about them.

SonofRobbieJ
#41Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 4:50pm

Nope.

I can be a vulgar broad when needed! And I like to pepper a 'deep' conversation with a little bawdy humor to lighten the mood.

But I don't need to learn manners on how to be a good theatre professional.

Updated On: 7/25/12 at 04:50 PM

After Eight
#42Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 4:55pm

^

What you don't seem to understand is that there is nothing humorous about a certain four letter word that you use repeatedly.

Even if you don't understand, and I suppose you can't, do us all a favor and stop it.

SonofRobbieJ
Phyllis Rogers Stone
CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
After Eight
#46Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 5:02pm

^

Both.

Ditch 'em.

Along with 99% of what you write.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
SonofRobbieJ
#48Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 5:05pm

Well...I probably won't stop saying sh*t. It's mama's favorite, ya know.

But, how about this? I'll stop saying the other word for at least 25 minutes. Mostly cause both Carlos and Phyllis (that's a buddy movie I want to see) had a good laugh at your expense. So, I'll lay off! Never say I ain't fair!

Updated On: 7/25/12 at 05:05 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#49Is it time to revive the forgotten Broadway custom of NOT commenting on shows in previews?
Posted: 7/25/12 at 5:05pm

RobbieJ, I'm still cracking up about your "Opinions are like...." paragraph.

After seeing the first preview of Cry Baby I vowed never to see a show until after it has officially opened. I made the exception for the Ragtime revival as that was already established from the production at the Kennedy Center.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Videos