pixeltracker

Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie- Page 2

Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#25Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 9:49am

g.d.e.l.g.i. That sounds like a dream! I would love to see a Fosse style adaptation.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#26Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 10:04am

^ Apparently they were rather serious about it, as there was talk in the trades of grandiose plans like a six-month Fosse intensive for everyone in the cast so they could get the moves down and really climb inside their characters and all that. No clue if that is still the case this time around.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#27Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 10:26am

Justin Timberlake as "Pippin"
Amanda Seyfried as "Catherine"

...just kidding Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie

ABitOnTheSide Profile Photo
ABitOnTheSide
#28Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 10:29am

Actually I don't think Timberlake would be a necessarily bad Leading Player.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#29Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 10:30am

Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Pippin
Zooey Deschanel as Catherine

...not sure if I'm kidding

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#30Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 10:33am

I honestly wouldn't mind a Timberlake "type," a young pop star of some kind, to play Pippin. This may be one of the only shows where it would make dramatic sense to do that on film, provided they had the talent necessary (and most of them have been rehearsing choreography and doing "numbers" since they were teenagers, for better or worse). Imagine a young star learning (and giving the message) that sometimes being extraordinary isn't what a person really needs.

Oddly enough, Willow Smith got this point way sooner than almost any of them...

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#31Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 10:37am

Considering how much visual stylization the book of the musical requires to make it work on stage, it sounds like a natural fit for film.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#32Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 10:38am

We might see Usher as the Leading Player.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#33Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 10:47am

^ That's one choice I think people would love, given how much he looks like his father... er, godfather...

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

OperaBwayLover Profile Photo
OperaBwayLover
#34Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 11:00am

Pippin seems like a curious choice to me. I mean, I know the revival is here, but is the general public really familiar with this show? Not saying they have to be- just wanting to know.

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#35Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 11:12am

I'm just really interested to see how they do it. The last screenwriter had a really great concept for it that worked, but if they're trying to go more like the revival (or, on the other end of the spectrum, pursuing what Greg [darquegk] posted as a possibility), I don't think it will work quite as well. I could be wrong, though.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#36Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 11:28am

Just like they were going to do CABARET with Nicole Kidman, FOLLIES, DAMN YANKEES, etc. etc...

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#37Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 11:55am

If I were the prospective producer, I'd be calling Darren Criss's agent ASAP. Pippin is a pleasant score but not the world's most demanding one, and it would give a rising star like Criss a chance to do the two things he does best: be a good-looking, somewhat moody young heartthrob, and engage in goofy awkward moments of comedy. His rise to television fame and internet fame came at the expense of polarizing his two natures, making him the "serious guy" on Glee and the "comedy guy" on the internet. Something like Pippin would give him a chance to unite the two.

Owen22
#38Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 12:14pm

I read an interview years ago with Harvey Weinstein where he stated he was obsessed with "Pippin" and wanted to film it.

ABitOnTheSide Profile Photo
ABitOnTheSide
#39Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 1:20pm

I'd kind of like an unknown as Pippin and surround him with stars.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#40Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 2:40pm

Please Zac Ecron as Pippin!!!

I could also see Beyonce wanting to play the Leading Player.

kieranbec Profile Photo
kieranbec
#41Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 3:16pm

Elaine Stritch as Berthe.

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#42Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/17/13 at 3:18pm

If they go with an unknown for Pippin, which makes sense considering Pippin's a new actor in the show, then they should just use Matthew James Thomas.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#43Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/18/13 at 9:05pm

"It could work in dozens of ways. It just needs to be re-imagined for the parameters of film"

Yea... like Chorus Line or Man of La Mancha or Nine.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#44Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/18/13 at 9:07pm

Or Chicago or Hedwig

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#45Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/19/13 at 9:10am

^ Oh, you're doing a "two sides of the same coin" thing! Yay! I love that! xD

In all seriousness... here's a casting idea I've been thinking about. Especially in the Fosse version of Pippin, sex was a barely concealed subtext to everything that happened in the bulk of the show. With this in mind, I took another look at the role of Berthe and some of her lines (particularly "You could use some frolicking..."). It hit me that there is the barest hint of innuendo in the lines, and the possibility that maybe Fastrada evicted her because she was a threat and not because of a "personality conflict," and I decided to maybe cast the role (in my head) in a way that would up the ante on that.

It needed to be someone that you don't think grandmother of when the name is mentioned. Someone who is clearly old enough for the part, yet still looks like a knock-out. Someone who could give an extra charge to those lines, suggesting that Pippin's immediate family aren't the only fucked-up ones. To be blunt, and excessively crude, for a moment, someone who turns around and her tits nearly hit him in the face, y'know? Where you're struck with the stateliness and voluptuousness of the person, but they're older. A fitting legendary actress/singer from a generation or two back.

Here's the list of possibilities I came out with:
* Debbie Harry. (Shockingly she sneaked up to the right age.)
* Linda Ronstadt.
* Raquel Welch.
* When I initially thought of Dolly Parton, it was a joke, but the more I thought about it, she seemed kind of right for what I had in mind. I began picturing a country singalong "No Time at All," a great surreal moment not unlike her fantasy sequence in the 9 to 5 film... Berthe in a cute little cowgirl outfit, fastening Pippin to the chair with her lasso as she lectures him and the film audience about letting her sing the verses.
* And last but not least, the inevitable "safe" casting choice. Someone that the suits would insist on for the "funny old lady with vim, verve, and charm" part twenty seconds after they heard about it. It doesn't really hit the hallmarks of what I planned, but if she resurrected her Sue Ann Nivens sensibility, Betty White could work.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#46Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/19/13 at 9:15am

By the time a PIPPIN film would actually be made, Betty White will be 175 years old.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#47Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/19/13 at 9:18am

What is a two sides of the same coin thing and who is doing it?

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#48Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/19/13 at 9:20am

You and goldenboy. He listed unsuccessful examples of musicals "transformed" for the screen, and you listed successful ones. When the "two sides of the coin" thing happens, it's usually unplanned, but always fun.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#49Weinstein Company pursues PIPPIN the Movie
Posted: 4/19/13 at 9:47am

I'm thinking Shirley MacLaine will probably go after Berthe.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Videos