pixeltracker

Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?- Page 2

Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#25Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 1:56pm

She would back out of the run half way through due to low ticket sales.....I mean a hip injury

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Gothampc
#26Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 2:18pm

I can't wait to hear the lyric changes she'll make to suit whatever mood she's in.

Or maybe she'll play Fanny wearing a blue wig.

Link

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 6/30/13 at 02:18 PM

Rentaholic Profile Photo
Rentaholic
#27Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 2:25pm

She really can't act or dance though. The only thing going for her here is the nose.

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#28Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 2:29pm

Song, you can say many things about Lady Gaga, but you can't knock her work ethics. She's one of the hardest working women in the music industry today, and the most insanely devoted to her fans.

Goth, I've seen her live and she definitely has the humor.

Updated On: 6/30/13 at 02:29 PM

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#29Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 3:17pm

Rentaholic, what acting have you seen her do?

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#30Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 3:18pm

She's not a perfect dancer, but she's really improved over the years. She went from not dancing at all, to really dancing in a lot of numbers on tour.

"She would back out of the run half way through due to low ticket sales.....I mean a hip injury."

For what it's worth, I saw the Born This Way Ball tour in Los Angeles and it was more than sold out.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#31Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 3:48pm

I'd still like the Sher revival to come around with Bobby Cannavale and Jessie Mueller (over the redhead they originally had)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#32Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 3:53pm

We know my feelings re: La Mueller, but Bobby Cannavale would be sensational. The idea of that production is more exciting to me than anything that's been announced for next season.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

Gothampc
#33Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 4:12pm

Deborah Gibson - I remember now.

Question: Who was the singer in the 90s that everyone wanted to do Funny Girl. She may have done a production of it outside of NYC. I don't know why I can't remember her name.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 6/30/13 at 04:12 PM

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#34Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 4:17pm

Debbie Gibson?

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

Gothampc
#35Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 4:18pm

^^^Yes. I just remembered as you posted.

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#36Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 4:23pm

^I thought you were talking about Taylor Dayne, who was attached to do a production of Funny Girl in the early 90s.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0%2C%2C307541%2C00.html

behindthescenes2
#37Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 5:01pm

She can do as well as whatever they are throwing at this show....Anne Bancroft was offered the role first not BS. So she could probably handle it - Broadway is now in full throws of offering roles and coddling people on the stage that have absolutely no business doing it (the Weisslers have perfected this to a finite degree since the revival of Grease with Rosie O'Donnell), however in this case I bet the girl can sing it.

Gothampc
#38Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 5:10pm

"I thought you were talking about Taylor Dayne"

Oh wow, I didn't know Taylor Dayne was considered.

"Anne Bancroft was offered the role first not BS"

I think Carol Burnett was offered before Anne Bancroft. Theater legend says that Carol Burnett turned it down saying "This really needs a Jewish girl."

all that jazz
#39Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 5:22pm

I love Carol, but I'd like to see her attempt "People." I'm glad she realized this and denied the offer.

amoni2 Profile Photo
amoni2
#40Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 5:52pm

"What "musical theatre" experience does she have and what does going to NYU have to do with anything?"

You do realize that "Lady Gaga" is a character don't you? Every time Stefani Germanotta is onstage as Gaga, she is doing theater.

Gothampc
#41Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 5:58pm

"I love Carol, but I'd like to see her attempt "People." I'm glad she realized this and denied the offer."

I think if they went with Carol it would have been a very different show. Who knows what songs would have been written or remained.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#42Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 6:30pm

That being said, I bet Carol could have sung the f*ck out of "People." She has an amazing voice.

all that jazz
#43Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 6:43pm

"What "musical theatre" experience does she have and what does going to NYU have to do with anything?"

I absolutely agree with Amoni. Plus, I don't know if Tisch was different back then, but now there are only 18 available spots for the MT program and hundreds of students auditioning from all over the world. There is no way you can get in, withouout demonstrating tremendous acting abilities.

Brave Sir Robin2
#44Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 7:57pm

I'm pretty sure that she wasn't a musical theatre major, but was music composition or piano performance or something along the lines of that. But she often talks about her musical theatre experience in high school.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

all that jazz
#45Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 8:08pm

Sir Robin, she was a theatre major at cap 21.

Brave Sir Robin2
#46Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 8:19pm

Oh. Never mind then.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#47Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 8:27pm

'You do realize that "Lady Gaga" is a character don't you? Every time Stefani Germanotta is onstage as Gaga, she is doing theater'

Oh, you mean climbing out of a fake egg? pulling fabric over her face? (originally done by Leigh Bowery), copying a Madonna song? wearing outrageous costumes?

Fanny Brice is REAL theater.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Updated On: 6/30/13 at 08:27 PM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#48Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 8:45pm

Now, My Dear Gaveston,

First of all, there's no reason one can's be an ardent feminist and want to play a woman in a role one sees as written as classically pre-feminist. Actors often are drawn to people whose sexual politics are very different than their own.

Then we should ask ourselves, is Fanny classicly pre-feminist? Is Funny Girl? Is a woman who falls deeply in love, assertively goes after it, has no issues being in a marriage where she is the major breadwinner, and demands both a career and a marriage qualifies as classically pre-feminist - one can make a strong argument that she does not.

Is the attitude of Funny Girl strictly pre-feminist? I disagree. Although certainly it describes characters and situations which at sometimes make us question the roles of men and women, struggling men married to powerful strong women, and how they and the people around them saw that dynamic.

My dear henrik,

We're not talking about Angela Lansbury here. (Not that Angie would take a part she thought was hateful, but she identifies primarily as an actress, i.e., an "impersonator" of characters.) Gaga has always presented a persona based on certain principles, primarily including equality for marginalized groups, including women and gays.

In the play, Fannie barely registers her opening night triumph because she's too busy mooning over Nicky. At the conclusion of Act I, she walks out on her touring job (quite unprofessionally), telling Ziegfeld words to the equivalent of "a gal's gotta stand by her man."

Of course she's forgiven because she's talented and, anyway, the book was written with, as I say, a 1950s' sensibility. In Act II we find out she's far more happy about being housewife than a theater star and then she spends the rest of the act blaming herself for emasculating poor Nicky and offering to quit show business if it will only save her marriage. The message is clear: a woman has to suppress her talents so that her fella can be secure. It's pure ANNIE GET YOUR GUN.

In other words, Fannie does NOT demand "both" career and marriage. She uses the former to support the latter, but says more than once she'll give up the theater if it makes Nicky happy. EVEN IN THE FINAL MOMENTS OF THE PLAY, while she is waiting for Nicky's arrival, she once again tells her maid that she may be retiring if that's what it takes to keep Arnstein.

What part of that is NOT "pre-feminist"?

Now, of course, I don't know Gaga and maybe she'd like to do the show as an historical piece. But while she's still selling out MSG? I seriously doubt it.

Not to mention the creaky book and the fact that there is nothing avant-garde about the concept of the show and such seems to be Gaga's bent.

(ETA I should allow that Gaga might find her own way into the material. I saw Meryl Streep play Kate in TAMING OF THE SHREW in the Park and somehow she and Raul Julia made the "submission" scene at the end seem like the beginning of a marriage of equals. But, personally, I don't see the same possibility in FUNNY GIRL, though I will gladly go see the show (and had tix to the Ambrose version).)

Updated On: 6/30/13 at 08:45 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#49Possibly Controversial Idea: Lady Gaga as Fanny Brice?
Posted: 6/30/13 at 11:19pm

Good points. I may have had a selective memory about the show. All I kept thinking about is "that's where I live; on stage."

Videos