The Weinstein Effect

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#25The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:08am

If anything, this makes Diane look even better. She is the director of this big Broadway musical that is raking in millions. Plus, regardless of the tony awards, people are loving the show. And Diane already has shows lined up for her!  I <3 Diane

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#26The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:10am

"If anything, this makes Diane look even better. She is the director of this big Broadway musical that is raking in millions. Plus, regardless of the tony awards, people are loving the show. And Diane already has shows lined up for her!  I "

You are correct Philly. While not a critical hit, FN is a commercial success and that is a gold star on anyone's resume.

Plus she's got tons of clout from her previous work.

It would have been nice for her to get a nom, but her career is thriving and now shows she can do commercial as well as artistic.

....but the world goes 'round

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#27The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:23am

Harvey knows better than anyone that sometimes your movies gets a ton of nominations and sometimes your movie gets nothing. The difference is that he doesn't have the clout in the theatre industry that he does in the movie industry. I'm sure his reputation will build if he keeps at it.

I'm much more concerned about Diane Paulus. She's a wonderful artist but she has turned her non-profit regional theater into a place where commercial productions go before they hit New York. That's icky to me. It's one thing to transfer a show every few years. It's another to program a 5-show season with 2-3 big money productions hoping for commercial runs in NY every year.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#28The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:27am

I doubt NEVERLAND is "raking" in dough.  It made a million but the nut is probably close to $700,000 and they are pouring money into advertising like crazy.  Casting Morrison and Grammer was a "costly" decision, (Salary wise)  A million does not go very far these days, and it's only been running a few weeks, it's a little early to say it's a "commercial smash" (yet) As for Ms. Paulus, this was a chance for her to prove she could direct a show other than a revival and help create and develop a "new" show.  I'm not saying her career is over, but this snub has to hurt. 

I get your point Dramamamama, and I agree.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#29The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:27am

He will start his own award show. It will be called the Harvey's and in its first year FN will be nominated for everything - even best revival - and will win every award handed out. The after awards will be held at Joe Allens

Poster Emeritus

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#30The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:31am

"He will start his own award show. It will be called the Harvey's and in its first year FN will be nominated for everything - even best revival - and will win every award handed out. The after awards will be held at Joe Allens"

I thought that was Cameron Mackintosh's plan - after the Miss Saigon revival didn't win any Olivier Awards.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#31The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:33am

Diane Paulus...the empress has no clothes. And Vespertine is right, she has turned A.R.T. into a Broadway-obsessed tryout house. You know, Boston DOES have the Colonial Theater not too far away. 

Updated On: 4/28/15 at 10:33 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#32The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:34am

Did Pippin play A.R.T?

....but the world goes 'round

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#33The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:38am

Where is Forbidden Broadway when we need it?

Poster Emeritus

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#34The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:38am

It did indeed.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Phillypinto
#35The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:39am

yeah they did. They do broadway-bound stuff, but what is the problem with that? They still mostly do creative, interesting, different theatre, and stick to their mission which is "expanding the boundaries of theatre." I think what Diane has done with the ART is amazing really.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#36The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:50am

JV

I thought the Colonial closed a few years ago. Did it reopen?

Poster Emeritus

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#37The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:52am

It did indeed. Citibank now has its name attached to it, but at least it's open. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#38The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:53am

The Colonial theater doesn't produce anything (or at least not that I'm aware of)....it's a touring house.  

The ART community loves what has happened with its little theater.  Its exactly what she was hired to do.  

I'm not so sure why this is seen as a bad thing.   and as a director, you know not all of your work is going to "click"...and usually you have a pretty good sense of what you've done.  It makes no sense for her to publicly talk about a current show in anything but glowing terms.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#39The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:55am

"The Colonial theater doesn't produce anything (or at least not that I'm aware of)....it's a touring house. "

It never did produce anything. It was always rented by producers for out-of-town tryouts. I was making a little (bad) joke about A.R.T. replacing what the Colonial used to be. 

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#40The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 10:58am

Good news indeed. A beautiful theater.

Poster Emeritus

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#41The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 11:04am

What else has come from A.R.T over the past few seasons?

Pippin

Finding Neverland

The Glass Menagerie

All the Way

Porgy and Bess

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#42The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 11:13am

5 Broadway transfers in 3 years is incredible for any non-profit institution. The Public doesn't even have that kind of record.

The Heart of Robin Hood was supposed to play Broadway. The Tempest and Witness Uganda had commercial aims. They're also responsible for bringing Sleep No More to America.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#43The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 11:16am

I'll be fair and say that one of those transfers was downright brilliant (THE GLASS MENAGERIE) and one was highly entertaining and featured a great lead performance (ALL THE WAY). Funny how those are the two that didn't involve Diane Paulus as director. 

Updated On: 4/28/15 at 11:16 AM

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#44The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 11:16am

People keep saying Finding Neverland is a commercial success, but its way too early to tell.  Plenty of shows over the years here in the UK and broadway start out strong and then fade.  If its still doing a million a week in a year (and when its two stars have left) then id say its a commercial hit.  I can see this surviving whilst it has its stars but closing soon after, like Addams Family

If it had been a good show im sure the weinstein effect wouldnt have mattered so much, but im struggling to see what they could have possibly been nominated for.  I didnt like it at all, but friends I saw it with did, and even they said they couldnt say what would be award worthy...it was just a nice evening in the theatre

Also if it had been a labour of love, it should have been better.  It felt much too paint by numbers on how to try and do a family musical

Phillypinto
#45The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 11:33am

Porgy and Bess and Pippin were fantastic productions. All of the shows that come out of ART are great and win awards because they are good. I don't know why it should be looked down upon because they have so many transfers. That should be seen as a good thing because people want to see the shows

Liza's Headband
#46The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 11:37am

They also want to see you leave this board. 

Phillypinto
#47The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 11:38am

okay Liza-Mr. Smith-Annette whatever profile you're using now

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#48The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 11:49am

NOT getting a director nod certainly does not make Paulus look better, no way, no how.  

ART has a good rep  (right now) for transferring but it brings up the old question: Is the purpose of regional Theatre JUST to do shows with the aim for Broadway. Of course these days when a show opens in Podunk Iowa (no offense) the first question is WILL IT TRANSFER?

And "laughing all the way to the bank" can also mean sitting home crying in the dark on TONY nomination morning.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#49The Weinstein Effect
Posted: 4/28/15 at 11:53am

I find the complete shutout appalling, but not surprising. The critics and the nominators had it in for Harvey ever since he muscled his way onto last year's telecast. The ensuing backstage drama must've ticked the hearts of the critics, who loved the storyline it created, and the Tony voters, who were probably dying to finally flex their muscle back when it became time to pass out the nominations.

Sure, it's making hand over fist, but that's like a drop in the bucket to Harvey. They hit him where it hurts, and that's in faint praise, and lack of shiny things to put on his shelf.

I happened to love this show, so I was really disappointed.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Videos