pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15

Vespertine1228 Profile Photo
Vespertine1228
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15
Posted: 10/27/15 at 11:42am

I think Hand to God is still on the radar of cool young theatre people coming to New York for the holidays. It seems silly to shutter now. All it needs is a little boost since their running costs are so low.

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15
Posted: 10/27/15 at 1:00pm

On Your Feet is no Avenue Q and Wicked is no Hamilton.  Hamilton is the show to beat and I doubt any other show will beat it for Best Musical.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15
Posted: 10/27/15 at 1:18pm

The fact that there's a conversation even entertaining the notion of On Your Feet taking Best Musical from Hamilton...

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15
Posted: 10/27/15 at 1:47pm

Braniff Forever said: "I'm tired and bored with the Hamilton hype. I thought FUN HOME and ON YOUR FEET were better than HAMILTON, although HAMILTON does have very clever lyrics. What's all the fuss? "

Just because you disagree with something doesn't make it hype/fuss. You don't have to like the same things everyone else does...

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15
Posted: 10/27/15 at 3:35pm

Avenue Q was seen as more creative, and an underdog. And they completely changed the game of Tony campaigns with the "vote with your heart" campaign. no one had ever done that.

There were also reports that the producers held some deceptive campaign by announcing they were going to take Avenue Q on tour, but after winning the Tony it was revealed that there was no tour, they only made an exclusive deal with Las Vegas, which irritated the road voters.

VintageSnarker
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15
Posted: 10/27/15 at 4:47pm

"On Your Feet is no Avenue Q and Wicked is no Hamilton.  Hamilton is the show to beat and I doubt any other show will beat it for Best Musical."

It's almost impossible to see something toppling Hamilton right now but if we're entertaining the hypothetical, I think it's much more likely to be a show coming in the spring... American Psycho, Bright Star, Waitress, Shuffle Along, Tuck Everlasting than On Your Feet. 

Also, goodbye Amazing Grace. I feel like I was in the minority of people who even vaguely wanted to see it and had heard good word of mouth they were inclined to believe... and even I didn't see it before it closed. 

brdway411
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15
Posted: 10/28/15 at 1:15am

What if Lazarus and or Invisible Thread dare to make the jump to Broadway this season? Could one of those two over come the hype of Hamstring? Lazarus is COMPLETELY sold out and I have heard talk of Invisible Thread being a possible Pulitzer contender.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15
Posted: 10/28/15 at 10:18am

"Could one of those two over come the hype of Hamstring?"

It is not hype. And the name of the show is Hamilton.

The inability of some here to accept Hamilton for what it is rather than how they might personally feel about it (or worse yet, simply because of the amount of attention it is justifiably getting) is beyond lame. It is wonderful that we are blessed with multiple shows at the same time that we can be proud of, but Hamilton is a show of generational (or more) significance. That conclusion is not subjective, nor is it the product of some exaggerated claims of the production itself (something that could fairly be called hype); there is a large body of opinion on the show, much of it from quarters that rarely pay the slightest bit if attention to Broadway musicals) demonstrating that Hamilton is not just another good show.

brdway411
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15
Posted: 10/28/15 at 10:25am

Hogan,, it's art and art is subjective. I didn't care for Hamhock, so what, It's my opinion, and Yes, it's is a lot of hype attached to the show. 

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15
Posted: 10/28/15 at 10:37am

Theatergoers' enthusiasm about a show is more accurately characterized as word of mouth, not hype. I realize that widespread excitement about a show you didn't personally enjoy can be irritating, but honestly, it's not that hard to ignore. I am one of those people who never tires of talking about Hamilton, but I don't read the BWW articles about it (because I've already seen everything on twitter).

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15
Posted: 10/28/15 at 10:44am

brdway411 said: "Hogan,, it's art and art is subjective. I didn't care for Hamhock, so what, It's my opinion. "

And I'm sure your mother thinks you're very special for that.

It's not about what is or isn't your opinion and you know that. The second you start making posts trying to belittle the show (e.g. Hamstring, "It's all hype" etc) it stops being about whether you had an opinion and becomes just about you taking cheap shots.

It's interesting the line people will draw here. When you make a joke at the expense of a show like Amazing Grace or Allegiance, you're kicking a show while it's down. But when you do it at something like Hamilton, you're merely taking a kick at a Goliath and people's attitudes seem to be "Who cares, they can't feel it anyway with their $40 million advance." Liking Hamilton or not is subjective. Understanding and acknowledging the impact it's having isn't. When a Broadway show reaches the heights of popularity that Hamilton has, or even Wicked and Book of Mormon, many posters on here decide they don't want to seem like sheep, so they proclaim that they didn't like the show because they saw something in it that no one else could. That's fine. If they didn't like it and can eloquently say WHY it is that they didn't, then it's fine. But when you take numerous opportunities to remind everyone that you didn't like the show and choose to belittle the show, that's when it stops being about your opinion of the show and just becomes about you.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 3/12/16 at 10:44 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15
Posted: 10/28/15 at 11:49am

And while I feel there are very few here that have fallen into that about Hamilton, I applaud nearly every word you uttered, WICKEDFAN.  (Only in caps so that you see it!)

hype - noun

Definition of HYPE

1:  deceptionput-on

2:  publicityespecially :  promotional publicity of an extravagant or contrived kind 

There is no HYPE here.  You might not have liked it, but unless all the articles are "contrived" or purposely deceptive, it's not happening.

Is all the publicity a  bit much?  Yes, even for my taste and I loved the dang thing and can't wait to go back.  SO I DON'T READ IT ALL.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

neonlightsxo
#37Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15
Posted: 10/28/15 at 12:12pm

I was just about to explain "hype" but dramamama beat me to it. The "hype" you are referencing is actually just word of mouth. Great word of mouth.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#38Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/25/15
Posted: 10/28/15 at 12:18pm

Jeffrey: "There were also reports that the producers held some deceptive campaign by announcing they were going to take Avenue Q on tour, but after winning the Tony it was revealed that there was no tour, they only made an exclusive deal with Las Vegas, which irritated the road voters."

I've heard this, too. If it's true, then I'd say the shame is on Tony voters for taking such matters into account.

Videos