The Encounter at The Golden

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#25The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 6/17/16 at 8:56am

LightsOut90 said: "RaisedOnMusicals said: "LightsOut90 said: "flop alert

Idiot alert

"

bwahaha will see whose right when this thing closes at a huge loss because tourist are the actual idiots in this scenario. 

Yeah, we'll see WHO'S right but based on the above I'm pretty sure I know who it's gonna be.  But it's clear that this play will exceed your intellectual grasp, so don't buy a ticket.  And just so you understand, this play will likely succeed without a single tourist buying a ticket.  There are more than enough people in the NY Metro area to fill up this 16 week run all by themselves, which they will do, just as it sold out in London.

"

"

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.

bandit964 Profile Photo
bandit964
#26The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/11/16 at 12:40pm

For those who have seen this, is it scary in any way?  I want to take my parents to a show, but my mother gets scared easily.  If not this, I'll take them to The Humans.  It'll be my second time, so I wanna see something new, but am afraid The Encounter may be too intense for my mother.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#27The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/11/16 at 12:45pm

If your mother gets scared that easily, I'm not sure that The Humans is the best fit for her either.  It gets pretty suspenseful at the end for those people who haven't seen the show before.

bandit964 Profile Photo
bandit964
#28The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/11/16 at 12:50pm

My mother will not have a problem with The Humans.  If anything, it was baffling, not scary.

How about anyone who's seen The Encounter in London or knows much about it.  (NO SPOILERS, PLEASE)

Updated On: 8/11/16 at 12:50 PM

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#29The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/11/16 at 3:23pm

WhizzerMarvin said: "The last two rows of the mezz are $89? Haha. I think I'll wait for TDF 

"

I'm very curious about this show and was surprised to see that $89 are the cheapest seats. I know it's coming off a sold out run but there have been plenty of shows transferring from London that ended up doing horrible here. I see this being a hard sell here.  I'll wait for TDF as well. 

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#30The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/22/16 at 4:40pm

So, taking into consideration that this is a one-man show, and the audience is listening through headphones, is seating all that important? I mean, if it's all about the sound, does it really matter where you're seated? For anyone who has seen it, is there any reason to spend more $$$ for better seating?

trpguyy
#31The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/22/16 at 5:00pm

^ that is correct, seating doesn't matter so much, which is reflected by the pricing. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#32The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/22/16 at 5:18pm

Can you explain that to me, trpguyy? I'm browsing through seats for different performances and the show seems to have a rather strange seat-to-price structure. Genuinely confused.

trpguyy
#33The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/22/16 at 5:53pm

I just meant that the back row of the mezz is $89, which is more expensive than most/almost every(?) other Broadway show(s), because it's still pretty much the same show no matter where you sit. There is practically no visual aspect to the show.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#34The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/22/16 at 6:03pm

Ah, gotcha. I had been looking at orchestra sections. The pricing on there is a little strange.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#35The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/23/16 at 12:58am

Am I correct to assume they are removing Rows A & B of the Orchestra for this?

StageDoor3 Profile Photo
StageDoor3
#36The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/23/16 at 2:28am

I live in Los Angeles, and I'm glad to hear good buzz about The Encounter.  Because we'll get to see it in a short run at the Wallis Annenberg Theatre in Beverly Hills in April 2017 -

https://tickets.thewallis.org/single/eventDetail.aspx?p=8232

Got my tickets a couple of months ago when I heard about it coming to Broadway.  Now I'm glad I did.  Other Southern California message board members can get a jump on this now too.

Updated On: 8/23/16 at 02:28 AM

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#38The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/23/16 at 8:14pm

Don't think this ever played London, it played Edinburgh festival.

somechrysanthemumtea Profile Photo
somechrysanthemumtea
#39The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/23/16 at 9:14pm

It played the Barbican earlier this year

RaisedOnMusicals
#40The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/24/16 at 9:15am

somechrysanthemumtea said: "It played the Barbican earlier this year

Yep, and I believe it sold every seat during the limited run.

https://www.barbican.org.uk/theatre/event-detail.asp?ID=18001

wonkit
#41The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/24/16 at 4:13pm

Any word about the alternative actor for non-McBurney performances? I may have to go on a Wednesday matinee or a Tuesday night.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#42The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/31/16 at 8:17pm

Has it been announced that there will be an alternate or are you just speculating?

I'm also confused about seating. It it really doesn't matter then I don't see the point in buying anything but the cheapest seat. Has anyone bought tickets yet? I'm thinking about waiting for TDF for this one, even though it's high on my list.

10086sunset
#43The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/31/16 at 8:28pm

TotallyEffed said: "Has it been announced that there will be an alternate or are you just speculating?

I'm also confused about seating. It it really doesn't matter then I don't see the point in buying anything but the cheapest seat. Has anyone bought tickets yet? I'm thinking about waiting for TDF for this one, even though it's high on my list.
"

Per telecharge : 

Please Note: Richard Katz will perform at the following performances:
Wed Mat 9/21, Wed Mat 9/28, Tue 10/4, Wed Mat 10/5, Tue 10/11, Wed Mat 10/12, Tue 10/18,Wed Mat 10/19, Tue 10/25, Wed Mat 10/26, Tue 11/1, Wed Mat 11/2, Tue 11/8, Wed Mat 11/9, Tue 11/15, Wed Mat 11/16, Wed Mat 11/23, Fri Mat 11/25, Tue 11/29, Wed Mat 11/30, Tue 12/6, Wed Mat 12/7, Tue 12/13, Wed Mat 12/14, Mon 12/19, Tue 12/20, Wed Mat 12/28, Thu 12/29, Tue 1/3/17, Wed Mat 1/4/17

Performer schedule subject to change.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#44The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 8/31/16 at 8:30pm

Appreciate it!

corthomas
#45The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 9/5/16 at 2:57pm

It's kind of early, but any ideas if they would offer standing room or rush to this show? Deciding if I want to spring for the full price tickets or risk waiting...

RaisedOnMusicals
#46The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 9/13/16 at 11:22am

This is a very interesting piece from Vanity Fair about the technology involved in the show.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2016/09/the-encounter-broadway

10086sunset
#47The Encounter at The Golden
Posted: 9/13/16 at 11:53am

Thanks for posting...

Great read...

Videos