Spamilton

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#25Spamilton
Posted: 7/21/16 at 12:42pm

mpkie said: ""The names of the characters are the OBC" ! I mean, I know most of the principal OBC, like Lin, Daveed, Chris, "Oak", Phillippa, Renee, Leslie, Anthony, etc. I've seen whatever performances were telecast (like Tonys, Grammys, White House) and endless "Alexander Hamilton" parodies. I was also at Elsie Fest where Leslie did "Room Where It Happens" and MisCast where Ana and three boys did "Schyuler Sisters". As a result I probably know a lot more of the songs than I wanted to!

Will skip it though because I don't want listening to the OBC to be a prerequisite, something I'm purposefully avoiding until after I see the show."

There are no pre-requisites to see the show. However, I think to understand any sort of satire or spoof of something, it's important to know the actual original story they're spoofing (is that a word?) from. Spamilton If I had a choice, I'd watch Hamilton first and then watch this spoof but that's my opinion. 

mpkie
#26Spamilton
Posted: 7/21/16 at 1:17pm

i figured as much, thanks for your opinion!

Jakeevan942
#27Spamilton
Posted: 7/21/16 at 7:01pm

FYI, I'm here right now as one of the 2 people who entered the lottery, so it's pretty easy to win. They are sold out already for next week so this is the one way to get in right now.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#28Spamilton
Posted: 7/21/16 at 9:33pm

I was there tonight too and Spamilton is easily the show of the summer to see! I loved it. There was some holy sh!t snacks level busting of the gut for me and I pray this receives a cast recording. Don't read anything else about it. Just buy your ticket and go!!

For those who want to read a few spoilery highlight moments, well you've been warned...

One of my favorite running gags was the beggar woman constantly running into Lin on the street, but instead of asking for alms, alms for a miserable woman, she needed tickets, tickets for Hamilton. Lin would respond, Don't I know you?, pull off the veil and it would be a diva desperate to get in; Patti, Bernadette and especially Audra were the best. To Audra he exclaimed, Audra McDonald? You're washed up! A has-been! You haven't won a Tony in months!  Tickets, tickets, for a woman expecting. Then Brian Stokes Mitchell came out to comfort her and they imagined themselves playing the Roosevelts to a Wheels of a Dream parody. 

Barbra came out (notice my revolutionary garb!) to announce the best musical of the century. The nominees are: Hamilton, Hamilton, Yentl and Hamilton. But first, before I read the winner, I have one thing to say to Lin: I want to be in the film when it happens, the film when it happens, the film when it happens. And it went from there!

Soo came out to make us cry with the epilogue and sing about the orphanage she built...for little orphan Annie! Annie (in drag) sang NYC to Lin Man-uel with Lin showing up to belt out the star of tomorrow part. 

Carol Channing even popped up to know that rapping is a girl's best friend and Lin turned to Sondheim (his Yoda, over scotch and soda) to get some advice on how to write the perfect lyrics, which launched our hero into an epic Sondheim mega mix. 

Dan Rosales who played Lin was effing fantastic. There were times when it really felt like it was Lin up there. Everyone is a delight though. Apparently it has been selling very well, so don't slack off and buy your ticket soon. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Jakeevan942
#29Spamilton
Posted: 7/21/16 at 11:39pm

Always an honor to be at the theater with Whizzer. Some light spoilers below.

I second everything said above-This is the funniest thing running in Manhattan right now, although I'd venture to say it is a bit more insider than the past few go-arounds of Forbidden Broadway. There were clearly people in the room who knew Hamilton very well, responding to every reference, and clearly people who were slightly confused from the rapid-fire nature of the parodies. It hearkens back to old school Forbidden Broadway, not 100% polished, but really funny, and featuring some classic costumes that haven't  seen daylight in years-The old Lion King mask for one.

The cast is uniformly great, a young group, 2 of whom just graduated college in May. Of note, Dan Rosales, from my seat in the balcony, could have been Lin or Javier on stage, and Nora Schell manages to play all 3 Schuyler Sisters at the same time. The other 3 guys are hilarious, especially Juwan Crawley as Annie in Drag, singing a few bars of Tomorrow in what sounded like the original key. I can't wait to hear what Christine Pedi does with the Diva track when she comes into the show in a few weeks-Gina Kreizmar this week, Jenny Lee Stern next week per Gerard, and I'd assume Christine from there.

There are no tickets, except the 5 lotteries seats at each show, left until August, and at least 1 show in August is already sold out. I'd expect this to sell out its whole run at the Triad, and for Reidel to announce a transfer closer to the theater district for the fall.

TL;DR: Buy Tickets to Spamilton now!

reed23
#30Spamilton
Posted: 7/22/16 at 3:35am

Especially since "Hamilton" is one of the most popular, famous and publicized show in Broadway history, I'd say no one needs to do special research to see "Spamilton." A lot of the audience I saw seemed more like a traditional "Forbidden Broadway" audience than a particularly "Hamilton Hip" audience, but recognition laughter was loud and continuous.  Since it's centered on the one show, it's different from a typical edition of "Forbidden Broadway," although there are a few clips from other shows dropped in on its way to making its point about Lin-Manuel and his effect on today's Broadway. They've had 3 performances so far, so it will be interesting to see where and how it goes from here. The cast is terrific.  I saw Maury Yeston in the audience, and I heard that Lin-Manuel will be in to see it soon.  

mostly_musicals
#31Spamilton
Posted: 7/22/16 at 4:31am

We saw it last night, and it's BRILLIANT. I cannot imagine that this is not going to have a longer life elsewhere, this sorta feels like the out-of-town (up-town?) try out. Couldn't be much better, smart, fast, funny. The whole cast was great, but Nora Schell as EVERY woman is a force to be reckoned with. (imean, DAMN, all 3 Schuyler sisters at once..!)

don't want to spoil too much, but 'another hundred syllables came out of his brain...' is so SO right.

:)

Fleasa
#32Spamilton
Posted: 7/22/16 at 8:04am

Jakeevan942 said: "FYI, I'm here right now as one of the 2 people who entered the lottery, so it's pretty easy to win. They are sold out already for next week so this is the one way to get in right now.

"

Can you tell me what time the lottery was drawn?

Jakeevan942
#33Spamilton
Posted: 7/22/16 at 11:57am

Fleasa said:

"

There really was no direction as to how the lottery worked. I had to figure it out myself. Basically, you have to go upstairs to get the lottery slip from the box office. This is supposed to be 40 minutes before the show, but I got the slip at around 6:10. Gerard came down at about 6:30 to collect the slips and pick the winners.

Hope this helps.

MyLife
#34Spamilton
Posted: 7/22/16 at 12:07pm

Am I really the only person who thought this was a total dud?

Fleasa
#35Spamilton
Posted: 7/22/16 at 3:31pm

Jakeevan942 said: "Fleasa said:

"

There really was no direction as to how the lottery worked. I had to figure it out myself. Basically, you have to go upstairs to get the lottery slip from the box office. This is supposed to be 40 minutes before the show, but I got the slip at around 6:10. Gerard came down at about 6:30 to collect the slips and pick the winners.

Hope this helps.

"

Yes, thanks!

ashk8177
#36Spamilton
Posted: 7/24/16 at 3:54pm

Does anyone know if the shows that are sold out still have seats reserved for the lottery tickets, a la Hamilton? Or if it says sold out does that mean there won't be a lottery held? Thank you!

ashk8177
#37Spamilton
Posted: 7/24/16 at 4:18pm

DOUBLE POST- sorry for that

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#38Spamilton
Posted: 7/24/16 at 7:32pm

ashk8177 said: "Does anyone know if the shows that are sold out still have seats reserved for the lottery tickets, a la Hamilton? Or if it says sold out does that mean there won't be a lottery held? Thank you!"

The last row of balcony/mezz is reserved for lottery seats, I believe.

cascade
#39Spamilton
Posted: 7/31/16 at 3:18pm

Is there any chance this will extend? My mom is visiting over Labor Day and I thought she'd get a kick out of seeing this. Otherwise I might check it out by myself via lottery next week.

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#40Spamilton
Posted: 8/1/16 at 10:59am

Yes.  There is a chance it will extend.  Prior such shows have stuck around for years

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#41Spamilton
Posted: 8/11/16 at 10:05am

Thomas Kail and Alex Lacamoire were at the show last night. Looks like they had a great time cracking up at the expense of their show.

Brilliant show. The cast blew me away. 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#42Spamilton
Posted: 8/11/16 at 10:11am

Lin-Manuel Miranda was there too, and posed for photos with the actor playing him. Lin said he laughed his brains out, and this endorsement is great news for those of us hoping for an extension! BWW has the story. 

Updated On: 8/11/16 at 10:11 AM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#43Spamilton
Posted: 8/11/16 at 10:22am

Or you could just go to the tweet.

https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/763561586959187968

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Jakeevan942
#44Spamilton
Posted: 8/11/16 at 11:03am

Playbill just announced an extension through October 10, Official Opening on September 8, staying up at the Triad.

LizzieCurry
#45Spamilton
Posted: 8/11/16 at 11:19am

http://www.playbill.com/article/hamilton-parody-spamilton-extends-sets-official-opening-night

LizzieCurry
#46Spamilton
Posted: 8/11/16 at 11:19am

http://www.playbill.com/article/hamilton-parody-spamilton-extends-sets-official-opening-night

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#47Spamilton
Posted: 8/11/16 at 11:53am

Managed to get a ticket for this on Flea Market day. It says it is general admission, so does that mean that seating is based on the order in which people come and where people want to sit? And I also noticed tables in some pictures and that is making me nervous now because I'm going by myself and get really anxious around people I don't know. Or is it not as bad as my brain is making it out to be?

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

After Eight
#48Spamilton
Posted: 8/11/16 at 12:04pm

"Looks like they had a great time cracking up at the expense of their show."

At the "expense" of their show? This is only giving their show more free publicity. 

They'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#49Spamilton
Posted: 8/11/16 at 1:01pm

Are you really criticizing the figurative use of a common idiom?

Videos