ANASTASIA Reviews

thealtoslament Profile Photo
thealtoslament
#25ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:30pm

Yeah, I have no idea what he's trying to do with the Trump references, and the whole thing reads pretty negative. The scenic design gets, like, one line of praise at the end. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#26ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:32pm

The Wrap is the dumbest theatre review I've ever read. What a disgrace of a piece.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#27ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:35pm

The review from The Wrap is tacky, tasteless, and uncalled for. I don't remember the last time a review made me this angry (and I wasn't a huge fan of the show either).

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#28ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:35pm

The Wrap is a flat out pan, mixed? Where are you seeing mixed? 

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#29ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:39pm

^He did like the creative team 

Willie4316
#30ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:44pm

Perhaps the show has changed since I saw the Hartford version, but wasn't it Vlad and Lily who had a previous love affair? According to EW, Dmitry and Lily? If there were any changes, a PM explaining them so as not to spoil for those who haven't seen it would be appreciated. 

Trish2
#31ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:44pm

Time Out NY

Positive

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/anastasia

per Adam Feldman of Time Out:

"In a season crowded with new musicals, this one has maintained a modest profile. But now the secret can be told: Anastasia is the richest and fullest family show to hit Broadway in years. Who knew? "

I don't know Adam, but trying so hard to get your pull quotes is pretty evident.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
Trish2
#33ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:50pm

What/who the heck is Broadway News?  Did i miss something here?

pupscotch
#34ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:50pm

That TheWrap review is ridiculous. Not liking the show is one thing, but it's based on well established source material and he really goes after the material claiming it's a Trump-era musical? What? Where?

KathyNYC2
#35ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:51pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Literally only at the beginning and the end. The little actress then plays Alexi for two scenes and a child in the train scenes. And when I saw it, there were plenty old adults too.

"

There are two girls that rotate in the role, I think I read. Is that correct? Who did you see?

Mike66
#36ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:53pm

The WORST thing about the EW review is it gets its historical facts wrong.  Way wrong.

The Romanovs were not "tragically" "killed by the Bolsheviks in an invasion."  They were rounded up at Lenin's orders, and after being moved from place to place for a while, they were literally lined up against the wall in one of the rooms in the dacha and murdered by gunfire.

As to whether their deaths were "tragic", that depends on how you feel about dynastic rulers who enslave their peoples en masse.  (The Russians did not end the serf system until late in the 19th century.)

OK, back to Broadway now....

"

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#37ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:53pm

^No, it's just Nicole and McKenzie is her understudy

pupscotch
#38ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:57pm

Trish2 said: "What/who the heck is Broadway News?  Did i miss something here?

"

I think it's Isherwood, if I'm not mistaken.

Trish2
#39ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 8:59pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Chicago Tribune

Mixed-Positive 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/broadway/sc-anastasia-broadway-review-ent-0424-20170424-column.html

I beg to differ on that Mixed-Postive review. The only thing he raves about is our star. MIXED.

Updated On: 4/24/17 at 08:59 PM

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#40ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:02pm

Adam Feldman is such a softy. He's worse than Isherwood.

As Anastasia piles discovery upon discovery, the happiest surprise is how consistently good the musical turns out to be. Smartly adapted by Terrence McNally from the 1997 animated film and the 1956 Ingrid Bergman movie-with Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens impressively expanding their score from the former-Anastasia is a sweeping adventure, romance and historical epic whose fine craftsmanship will satisfy musical-theater fans beyond the show's ideal audience of teenage girls. (When I saw it, a second-act kiss was greeted with deafening shrieks of approval.)

Jeffrey Karasarides
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#42ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:13pm

Feldman is hardly a softy.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 4/24/17 at 09:13 PM

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#43ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:19pm

Well he sounds like it in that review. Plus he loves Les Mis.

Jeffrey Karasarides
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#45ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:23pm

And you're Phillypinto, back from the forbidden zone. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

smidge
#46ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:26pm

Butter Broadway said: "Well he sounds like it in that review. Plus he loves Les Mis.

Yes, he and thousands of other softies

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#47ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:26pm

Kad said: "Feldman is hardly a softy."

Seriously. Of course he can't go too in-depth due to space limitations, but I always enjoy Feldman's reviews (and David Cote's, for that matter). And he's hardly the first to say that Anastasia is a good family musical or better than expected. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#48ANASTASIA Reviews
Posted: 4/24/17 at 9:29pm

Kad said: "And you're Phillypinto, back from the forbidden zone. "

I knew IT seemed familiar. What was his last username again?

Jeffrey Karasarides

Videos