pixeltracker

DEH Actors Salaries Question?- Page 2

DEH Actors Salaries Question?

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#25DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 1:25am

BrodyFosse123 said: "Unless an actor put in any of their money at any given time as an "angel" (silent) producer, all they receive weekly is their negotiated contract salary.  Regardless of the billions the show they are employed at is grossing they don't see a penny more than their contracted salary.  Producers and any one with negotiated points involvement benefits from any monetary compensation due to their show's success. 

This situation caused a legal uproar with the original cast of HAMILTON and one that the original cast of A CHORUS LINE took legal action also, unsuccessfully, back in 1975-76.   

"

As I'm sure BrodyFosse knows and IIRC, the issue with A CHORUS LINE was based on the fact that the cast has been central to the writing of the show. Their accounts of their own life stories were recorded during the famous "taping sessions" and then written into the show. Actors weren't necessarily playing themselves, since the history of one actor might be written into the role of another. But most had contributed to the book. (The cast may have lost in arbitration but I believe Michael Bennett eventually gave the original cast a small percentage of the Broadway show's gross. Perhaps because the controversy made him look bad.)

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#26DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 1:30am

I don't know anything about Platt's finances, nor should I. But a lot of actors who make a splash make the "big" money on their next projects. If Platt stays beyond his originally contracted period, I'm sure he'll negotiate a hell of a raise. If he doesn't, he'll be offered a TV series or film and THAT will be where he makes more significant cash. This has been true of Broadway actors for a long time.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#27DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 11:48am

Such a strange OP. This isn't the first show to win Best Musical or have its lead actor win Best Actor. Its just always weird to me when DEH fans act like this is the first musical with buzz or talented actors to ever grace Broadway.

Liza's Headband
#28DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 11:59am

^ Because no other rabid fans of any other musicals ever do the same, right? It's just exclusive to DEH? 

Give me a break. Every show has its crazies... especially the successful ones. 

godlessondheimite
#29DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 12:15pm

The Platts are fantastically wealthy and well-connected and Ben Platt will never struggle financially or vocationally in his entire life. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#30DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 12:47pm

godlessondheimite said: "The Platts are fantastically wealthy and well-connected and Ben Platt will never struggle financially or vocationally in his entire life. "

They are not fantastically wealthy; they are just wealthy. If for some reason he could not work, his family would not let him go homeless. Right now he is independently wealthy in a minor way of someone who has earned a million dollars and has not squandered it. And no family connections guarantee a vocation in show business as talent. He may not struggle because a position in a business will be found for him as long as he is able to work, but that is not what this young man is interested in. 

The ridiculousness of posts on here, and especially in this thread, is mind-boggling. 

godlessondheimite
#31DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 1:08pm

HogansHero said: "godlessondheimite said: "The Platts are fantastically wealthy and well-connected and Ben Platt will never struggle financially or vocationally in his entire life. "

They are not fantastically wealthy; they are just wealthy. If for some reason he could not work, his family would not let him go homeless. Right now he is independently wealthy in a minor way of someone who has earned a million dollars and has not squandered it. And no family connections guarantee a vocation in show business as talent. He may not struggle because a position in a business will be found for him as long as he is able to work, but that is not what this young man is interested in. 

The ridiculousness of posts on here, and especially in this thread, is mind-boggling. 

"

They're wealthy enough that no one on this board needs to worry about Ben's finances or him getting cheated in contract negotiations. I don't mean to downplay Ben Platt's own talent and achievement or the fickle nature of the business, though. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#32DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 1:52pm

agreed. 

some folks are acting like he's the illegitimate stepchild of David Geffen or something. (And wouldn't that be a juicy bit of gossip.)

ijest22
#33DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 2:54pm

HogansHero said: "agreed. 

some folks are acting like he's the illegitimate stepchild of David Geffen or something. (And wouldn't that be a juicy bit of gossip.)

"

LOL. I can't get the image of Julie Platt and David Geffen out of my mind. 

Margo319
#34DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 3:48pm

"In my opinion an actor such as Ben Platt should be making at least $20,000 a week and the rest of the cast maybe half that amount. Am I completely off the mark!"

That comment made me spit out my water.  HAHA. Oh my God.  Do you know the base salary of a Broadway actor?  It's $1,605 per week.  Of course Ben is making more than that in his leading role but in no universe does he make close to that figure.   The fact that his Dad has millions and mansions and beach homes have nothing to do with Ben's salary.  

$20000.  Hilarious.  

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#35DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 4:57pm

Margo319, what year are you inhabiting? It's hard to take anything you say seriously when the known quantities are so out of whack.

Liza's Headband
#36DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 8:50pm

Just some perspective for the OP:  Al Pacino, although more irrelevant now than some years ago, made roughly $50k / week while appearing on Bway last year. The dude is a Hollywood star and known entity.  Sorry, but Ben is not making $20k a year. Cut that in half and you'll be closer... 

Margo319
#37DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 11:28pm

"HogansHero said: "Margo319, what year are you inhabiting?"

Look bro, I have no idea what that even MEANS but if you think that Ben Platt, a non household name, known to the LA and NYC area mostly is making $20,000 a WEEK for a Broadway show?  You are out of your mind and need to do research.  A lot of it.

Updated On: 7/17/17 at 11:28 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#38DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 11:29pm

^i think he was referring to your base salary figure. It's much closer to 2k/week now.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Margo319
#39DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/17/17 at 11:34pm

Ohhh, I sincerely apologize and retract that figure.  After further research the base salary is $1,861 per week.  Thank you for that clarification.

http://newmusicaltheatre.com/greenroom/2016/01/the-bare-minimum-breaking-down-broadway-actor-salaries/

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#40DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/18/17 at 12:07am

let's work on your research skills. DEH Actors Salaries Question? it's $1,974, going over 2k in october. $1861 was a few years ago. And that is not the base salary; it is the minimum salary. It is highly unlikely anyone is making that amount as almost everyone who is not making a significantly higher salary is getting various supplements.

The numbers are not what's notable in this thread, however; it is how many people are posting incorrect information. If you don't know something, why make something up? I don't get it. 

Margo319
#41DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/18/17 at 3:03am

I did not make anything up.  I did some light research and I came up with two articles.  That isn't making things up....

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#42DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/18/17 at 9:39am

re making things up.

Some did make things up and you have been rightly critical of them. What you did, however, twice, is give incorrect information. You then used that information to bolster your $20000 point. My point is that when you support an argument with incorrect info, you undercut it. FWIW I agree about the $20k but it is "made up" in the sense that it is speculation and the fact you were pretty dated in your info about the minimums suggests that your assumption about what anyone is actually making is questionable; I suspect he is making around $7500+/- and I also suspect all of the principals are making considerably more than the minimums. As to what further deals some or all may have, it's speculation but as has been rehearsed there are lots of possible bump-ups.

JustAFan3
#43DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/20/17 at 2:22pm

Not sure of the demographics of the majority people that read these boards, but speaking for myself, I have no Idea what the salaries are of people in the broadway industry. I am just a fan, who enjoys broadway immensely.  I honestly don't know who's who and how the actors rank amongst each other salary wise.  I remember having a theatre class in college (an elective- I was a business/law major) and my professor made the comment that broadway actors are amongst the most talented and least compensated actors around.  I am sure comparing them to their TV/Movie counterparts.  I also listened to a Jessie Mueller radio interview recently. Joan Hamburg, the interviewer, made the comment that broadway actors live "hand to mouth". Ms. Mueller agreed and said something to the effect, that she "still lives in a Queens walkup".  Now, I would have thought that Jessie Mueller would be an actor that does commands a larger salary and I am sure she does, but how much larger?  Ben Platt might have a more recognized name than Jessie Mueller/Kelly O'Hara etc but is that what drives the salary or does a Tony win? Again, this is coming from a fan of Broadway, who enjoys and respects the talent that takes the stage every night.  I am just curious.  Is it anyone's busy?  No not at all, but the whole broadway machine intrigues me from those behind the scenes to those on the stage.  I hesitated posting anything because sometimes these threads get a little snarky, but many of you have a lot more knowledge than I and for the most part, I do enjoy reading the various threads.   Have a great day!

ijest22
#44DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/20/17 at 2:31pm

JustAFan3 said: "Not sure of the demographics of the majority people that read these boards, but speaking for myself, I have no Idea what the salaries are of people in the broadway industry. I am just a fan, who enjoys broadway immensely.  I honestly don't know who's who and how the actors rank amongst each other salary wise.  I remember having a theatre class in college (an elective- I was a business/law major) and my professor made the comment that broadway actors are amongst the most talented and least compensated actors around.  I am sure comparing them to their TV/Movie counterparts.  I also listened to a Jessie Mueller radio interview recently. Joan Hamburg, the interviewer, made the comment that broadway actors live "hand to mouth". Ms. Mueller agreed and said something to the effect, that she "still lives in a Queens walkup".  Now, I would have thought that Jessie Mueller would be an actor that does commands a larger salary and I am sure she does, but how much larger?  Ben Platt might have a more recognized name than Jessie Mueller/Kelly O'Hara etc but is that what drives the salary or does a Tony win? Again, this is coming from a fan of Broadway, who enjoys and respects the talent that takes the stage every night.  I am just curious.  Is it anyone's busy?  No not at all, but the whole broadway machine intrigues me from those behind the scenes to those on the stage.  I hesitated posting anything because sometimes these threads get a little snarky, but many of you have a lot more knowledge than I and for the most part, I do enjoy reading the various threads.   Have a great day!

"

I would guess that his current salary is no where near what Mueller and O'Hara currently command, BUT, he'll probably be somewhere in that stratosphere (Whatever it may be --20 to 50 per week), particularly if he negotiates an extension for DEH (despite the fact that the box office held up nicely while he was on vacation, I'm betting it settles in at a much lower, though still profitable, level after he leaves).  If I were the producers, I'd pay him a fortune to stay for another 3-6 months, with a reduced, 5 to 6 show per week schedule (to protect his beautiful voice).

AEA AGMA SM
#45DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/20/17 at 2:51pm

JustAFan3 said: "I also listened to a Jessie Mueller radio interview recently. Joan Hamburg, the interviewer, made the comment that broadway actors live "hand to mouth". Ms. Mueller agreed and said something to the effect, that she "still lives in a Queens walkup".  Now, I would have thought that Jessie Mueller would be an actor that does commands a larger salary and I am sure she does, but how much larger? "

What's worth remembering is that the smart actors live "hand to mouth" so to speak. There was a time when people booked a Broadway show and immediately ran out and bought apartments or houses out in the suburbs or many other luxuries because they were sure that their show was going to run forever, when in reality we all know that is not the case.

Some of the Equity business reps have even taken to remind casts of this during their first rehearsal meeting. There have been plenty of actors who made major purchases, such as apartments, and then went crying to the Actors' Fund for assistance when their show closed after only two months.

So even at the minimum the salary is a respectable salary that many people would be happy to be making, both in and out of the industry, but a smart actor will still be looking ahead and remembering to live within their means since there's no guarantee of just how long they will be receiving said salary.

gregnyc2
#46DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/20/17 at 3:11pm

If Ben runs into financial troubles (cough hack har), he can always live in his dreamy dressing room. 

JustAFan3
#47DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/20/17 at 4:07pm

AEA AGMA SM said: "JustAFan3 said: "I also listened to a Jessie Mueller radio interview recently. Joan Hamburg, the interviewer, made the comment that broadway actors live "hand to mouth". Ms. Mueller agreed and said something to the effect, that she "still lives in a Queens walkup".  Now, I would have thought that Jessie Mueller would be an actor that does commands a larger salary and I am sure she does, but how much larger? "

What's worth remembering is that the smart actors live "hand to mouth" so to speak. There was a time when people booked a Broadway show and immediately ran out and bought apartments or houses out in the suburbs or many other luxuries because they were sure that their show was going to run forever, when in reality we all know that is not the case.

That is a very good point - one that escaped me - regarding "smart actors".  I am sure the business is very unpredictable as to how long a show would run and when they get their next job.  Thank you for pointing that out.  

I would guess that his current salary is no where near what Mueller and O'Hara currently command, BUT, he'll probably be somewhere in that stratosphere (Whatever it may be --20 to 50 per week),

Wow - I  had no idea that Jessie Mueller or Kelly O'Hara would command that much - but not undeserved in my my opinion!  At least my thoughts that they were up there in the ranks was not off base.  

Thank you all for your responses!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#48DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 6:20am

^I would not take that comment as gospel, it sounds far too high to be accurate for either of those women. 

Edited for phone typing stupidity.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 7/21/17 at 06:20 AM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#49DEH Actors Salaries Question?
Posted: 7/21/17 at 8:22am

^I think you left out a "not"

Videos