NETWORK Previews

brdwybound04
#25NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/11/18 at 12:05am

Wondering how likely this is to extend... it’s currently on sale through 3/17, on the phone the lady working for Telecharge said that was not a closing date... just the on sale date... is this likely to extend through the Tonys...? 7-8 months is a long time for someone as big as Cranston to commit to 8 performances/week Broadway schedule...???

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#26NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/11/18 at 12:11am

The show only performs 6 shows a week. 

LightsOut90
#27NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/11/18 at 12:19am

isnt the deal that its going to 7 shows a week at some point?

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#28NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/11/18 at 12:25am

brdwybound04 said: "Wondering how likely this is to extend... it’s currently on sale through 3/17, on the phone the lady working for Telecharge said that was not a closing date... just the on sale date... is this likely to extend through the Tonys...? 7-8 months is a long time for someone as big as Cranston to commit to 8 performances/week Broadway schedule...???"

Not likely. It's being billed as an "18-week limited engagement." The person at Telecharge was simply going by what it said on her screen, and I've found that some agents there don't know what they're talking about. In any event, IBDB currently lists the closing date as 3/17/19.

https://www.ibdb.com/broadway-production/network-519334

brdwybound04
#29NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/11/18 at 12:27pm

https://nypost.com/2018/01/11/can-bryan-cranston-be-lured-back-to-broadway-for-network/

Take it for what it’s worth, but Riedel states that to have it turn a profit, Network would need to run for 9 months... making it close late summer to achieve this... I would think if Cranston’s up to it, he would want to extend to maximize his and the show’s Tony Awards potential too...?

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#30NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/11/18 at 12:42pm

I was at the first preview. This has the makings of an excellent show, but there were many technical problems that they need to work out in the coming weeks. Unfortunately, due to those glaring issues, it was hard for me too enjoy the show as fully as I wanted to. Excellent performance from Cranston. Can't say the same about anyone else on that stage. Some of the actors were flat out bad, unfortunately. The countdowns to the start of each broadcast were thrilling and excellently stages by Ivo. 

I absolutely recommend this show, but I would wait a few weeks for them to figure some things out. I'd love to see it again later in the run.

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#31NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/11/18 at 4:34pm

Anyone else attend last night or today?

jbird5
#32NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/11/18 at 5:56pm

Saw this today after TKAB last night. Daniels was terrific, but I think they can just give Cranston his Tony now. Totally different kind of show. If you saw The Damned, this is the same formula. All the same tricks. Video cameras following everything so you end up dividing your attention. They even go outside for one scene. Cranston is riveting. He’s a terrific actor, but he’s given the juiciest piece of raw meat to chew on that you can imagine. It doesn’t get any better. I thought the supporting cast was mostly great even if some of them (like Frank Wood and Susannah Perkins personal faves) had too little to do. I thought Tony Goldwyn was also outstanding and more age appropriate than Holden. As for Tatiana Maslany, she looks great in seventies fashions. She also fakes an orgasm while delivering exposition with the best of them. At least I think it was fake. If you get the onstage seating you might find out for sure. My view of Foodworks was completely blocked unfortunately (far right orchestra). If they ever discount the onstage seats, I would grab them. The show is quite interactive for Broadway and it makes for one of the more fun experiences out there. I don’t know if it will win for best play, but it might get Ivo another Tony.

edit - Tatiana here reminds me of Nicole Rodenburg in The Antipodes, she goes through half a dozen at least costume changes while everyone else stays the same.

Updated On: 11/11/18 at 05:56 PM

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#33NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/11/18 at 7:31pm

Wonderful review! Thanks for your thoughts. 

I guess that means that Cranston is scheduled for every performance? 

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#34NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/11/18 at 8:12pm

Went to today’s matinee, and agree with Theatregoer3’s review. Some issues with the cameras not picking up the onstage action, which was rough for those of us on the sides of the house.

Cranston was absolutely stellar and every time he was onstage (or in the audience) the show was excellent and charged.

When It was Max (and yes, the Louise big scene is there for those who were wondering) or Diana carrying the scene (even moreso when it was both), it fell flat. And I like Maslany and Goldwyn in other projects, they just didn’t command the stage or characters like Cranston. Which, I guess, makes some sense with the work, but it was disappointing. It felt like a chunk of the cast were in a different play than Cranston and a few other (namely Frank Wood, Nick Wyman, and Ron Canada). Hopefully they’ll settle in and balance out as previews continue.

The video screens are very cool, and enhance the show a lot.

Most of the people I talked to were there to see Cranston, and a lot hadn’t seen the film at all.

And, to answer the Stage Door question that I’m sure will pop up: Yes, everyone signs, only Cranston has a sharpie, so bring a pen if you want anyone else to sign. Cranston will also do photos, but his assistant will take it for you.

JBC3
#35NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/11/18 at 8:32pm

Not too shocking that the rest of the cast is not on pace yet with Cranston given that he has months in the role under his belt already.

Stephen75
#36NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/11/18 at 8:39pm

brdwybound04 said: "Wondering how likely this is to extend... it’s currently on sale through 3/17, on the phone the lady working for Telecharge said that was not a closing date... just the on sale date... is this likely to extend through the Tonys...? 7-8 months is a long time for someone as big as Cranston to commit to 8 performances/week Broadway schedule...???"

Saw today’s matinee. I absolutely LOVED this, although I found it deeply unsettling and uncomfortable at times. Ivo has a knack for gutting these works we think we know and turns them inside out. This Network is haunting, difficult, violent, and ultimately depressing.

Cranston will take the Tony. This will be the performance of the season everyone raves over. Goldwyn is great, and I would like to say some stuff on Maslany considering she seems to have a mixed reception so far. I was a tad cold on her in the beginning, but as the show goes on and Diana becomes more complicit, she ROARS into the role. I actually found her to be the most unsettling to watch. This Diana is less charming than Dunaway. She is, like Max says “a product of the television era.” She’s young, niave, bud deeply cunning. This is a woman hell-bent on power and greed, and the moments when she’s in “real life” (interacting with Max, meetings, etc.) just seem like a respite from her true, deceptive nature. Maslany plays the moments when she’s having her power trips as she’s almost possessed. It’s a bold choice, that still could use some fine tuning, but it totally worked for me, and very much in vein with Ivo’s vision. (Think to Sophie Okonedo in The Crucible, a performance loved and hated by people alike, but very much an Ivo performance.)  By the end she stuck with me the most, because she seemed the most devoid of humanity. She got an ovation, at least where I was seated, for the scene mentioned above. Her performance also shines best when she’s on camera and you can see all the nuances on her face. 

There’s a choice at the end of the evening, post bows, that I would love to discuss, it really drives home themes of the show and is almost a last minute bait and switch. 

All in all, GO SEE THIS.

dmrockon092 Profile Photo
dmrockon092
#37NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/11/18 at 11:13pm

Does anyone know about a rush policy yet?

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#38NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/12/18 at 9:25am

I purchased tickets to sit in the last row of the mezz. Has anyone sat there yet? Just wondering if its partial view or not due to the video screens. The box office guy said, "No". $89 was a steal compared to two rows up which was $135. Go figure. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#39NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/12/18 at 9:54am

WldKingdomHM said: "I purchased tickets to sit in the last row of the mezz. Has anyone sat there yet? Just wondering if its partial view or not due to the video screens. The box office guy said, "No".$89 was a steal compared to two rows up which was $135. Go figure."

This is the view from mezzanine row H. Not my pic, but I checked with the poster to see what row it was taken from.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqDxvxfHnZi/

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#40NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/12/18 at 10:39am

I cannot wait to see this. I'm looking for January tickets, probably around the 18th. I would be going alone, does anyone have interest in going with me?

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#41NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/12/18 at 1:53pm

WldKingdomHM said: "I purchased tickets to sit in the last row of the mezz. Has anyone sat there yet? Just wondering if its partial view or not due to the video screens. The box office guy said, "No".$89 was a steal compared to two rows up which was $135. Go figure."

There are a number of video screens throughout the theatre, and the main one on the stage is set low enough you should be ok. They way the stage is set (the set goes deep into the wings on both sides) no seat can see every bit of the action live, so there’s a screen visible for every seat.

kmissa
#42NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/12/18 at 2:03pm

dmrockon092 said: "Does anyone know about a rush policy yet?"

I came to ask the exact same thing. It's two blocks away from my office, I will try and find out.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#43NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/13/18 at 7:58am

Anyone sat in the balcony for this show? Was wondering how the view was.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#44NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/13/18 at 8:23am

LimelightMike said: "The show only performs 6 shows a week."

I'm seeing 7 a week on Telecharge.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#45NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/13/18 at 9:13am

Thank you! Can’t wait to see the show.

Nomusicalsforme
#46NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/13/18 at 9:25am

As an aside, was recently at the box office and they are selling partial view seats and balcony seats for performances telecharge has listed no availability.  Was able to purchase a partial view seat orchestra seat for $109.

SJAfan
#47NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/13/18 at 9:42am

I stopped by the box office yesterday to pick up a ticket. I asked about rush or a lottery and the guy at the box office said they hadn't told them one way or the other yet but he didn't think they would offer one. 

lostphantom
#48NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/13/18 at 10:19am

I wonder if they will offer standing room tickets...

ilysespieces
#49NETWORK Previews
Posted: 11/13/18 at 10:29am

Mike Barrett said: "Anyone sat in the balcony for this show? Was wondering how the view was."

Not sure if it can wait that long, but I've got front row balcony tickets for Saturday the 22nd of December (belated birthday present NETWORK Previews) and I alwas post on aviewfrommyseat.com

Videos