pixeltracker

The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?- Page 2

The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?

Broadway61004
#25The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 7:13pm

Jordan, no offense, but I'm not the one saying that people aren't going back to work until there's a vaccine, which is what you essentially said in your earlier post. So if you believe that is the reality, more power to you--I actually hope you're right and people and organizations are far more cautious than I think they'll be.

But in any case, this is obviously a completely meaningless discussion as the League has made their decision. But that doesn't change my opinion on it, nor will you.

Kimbo
#26The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 7:14pm

Broadway61004 said: "HogansHero said: "@Broadway61004 suffice it to say you are being painfully naive on multiple fronts.

"

Actually, no. I'm just standing outside in the middle of approximately 200 people crowded on one tiny NYC block on the first night of Phase Two. If you truly believe Broadway is going to wait for a vaccine or for herd immunity, then I don't know what else to say to you. This isn't about what should be done. This is about reality.
"

what Jordan C said. The REAL (and harder) reality, if you’ve actually followed any of this, is that in numerous separate polls and surveys as recently as a week ago, the majority of theatergoers say they simply won’t return until a vaccine is developed, period (with a small number saying they would consider coming back if drug protocols improve or herd immunity takes hold)  NONE of them said “I can’t wait to be in a crowded theater with 200 other people” (let alone 1200) - so it’s great if you’re having fun on one crowded tiny New York City black on Night One of Stage Two - but sadly, it’s people like you and an attitude like that which is only going to inevitably delay the reopening of Broadway even longer.  (Until Broadway comes back, perhaps you should consider a temporary move this week to Arizona or Florida instead?)  Jesus 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Broadway61004
#28The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 7:19pm

Kimbo said: "Broadway61004 said: "HogansHero said: "@Broadway61004 suffice it to say you are being painfully naive on multiple fronts.

"

Actually, no. I'm just standing outside in the middle of approximately 200 people crowded on one tiny NYC block on the first night of Phase Two. If you truly believe Broadway is going to wait for a vaccine or for herd immunity, then I don't know what else to say to you. This isn't about what should be done. This is about reality.
"

what Jordan C said. The REAL (and harder) reality, if you’veactually followed any of this, is that in numerous separate polls and surveys as recently as a week ago, the majority of theatergoerssaythey simply won’t return until a vaccine is developed, period (with a small number saying they would consider coming back if drug protocols improve orherd immunity takes hold) NONEof them said “I can’t wait to be in a crowded theater with200 other people” (let alone 1200) - so it’s great if you’re having fun on one crowded tiny New York City black on Night One of Stage Two - but sadly, it’s people like you andan attitude like that which is only going to inevitably delay the reopening of Broadway even longer. (Until Broadway comes back, perhapsyou should consider a temporary movethis week to Arizona or Florida instead?) Jesus

"

Yes, because I clearly said I don't believe this is real and that I'm partying it up right now, not that I merely did something called observe 200 people on my street doing that as I walked by, with my mask on. But it's cool, reading isn't for everyone. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 7:22pm

What part of “Theaters won’t reopen until it’s not only safe for an audience to be in a room together but also for actors, musicians and crew to be on top of each other touching and sweating and basically spitting on each other for 3 hours 8x a week”, don’t you exactly understand? It’s not just about YOU, the audience member.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#30The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 7:27pm

Actually, you said you were standing in the middle of 200 people on a crowded street. Then you said you were simply passing them by. Which one is it, broheim?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#31The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 7:32pm

Broadway61004 said: "Actually, no. I'm just standing outside in the middle of approximately 200 people crowded on one tiny NYC block on the first night of Phase Two. If you truly believe Broadway is going to wait for a vaccine or for herd immunity, then I don't know what else to say to you. This isn't about what should be done. This is about reality."

It would really help if you would read a few of the threads where all of this has been rehearsed. I am not going to retrace that for you, but I will leave you a few questions to ponder:

1. Do you really think Andrew Cuomo is going to screw up the work that has been done over the last months? Do you "truly believe Broadway" gets to decide when to stop waiting? Do you understand that there is no member of the league that is working on opening a show before the Spring of 2021, and many are aiming for much later than that? How do you think theatre gets made? Magic?

2. Who is going to invest money in a show without knowing when (a) restrictions will be lifted and (b) more importantly audiences will return? The aforementioned governor is talking about quarantining people from states that have not flattened the curve for 14 days.

3. What tourists are going to come to New York and, more importantly, buy tickets to Broadway shows? The ones subject to quarantine? Or the ones from countries that have handled the pandemic responsibly? 

I could go on, but this should be enough to get you to see the error of your ways, or at least your naiveté.

Oh, and about those blocks you mention. A few things you may not know. First, science has shown us that outdoors is relatively low risk (just as it has shown that putting a large bunch of people in an enclosed area is very high risk). Second, those crowds will be addressed, and easily, because I am willing to bet the said block has a bunch of bars, and while Broadway producers cannot ready productions on a dime, the governor can close bars that don't do what he says in a New York minute. Again, I could go on but in the words of Bette Midler, why bother?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#32The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 8:04pm

But back to reality - I do wonder which shows this will now officially kill. Unless something is worked out with theater owners I can’t see a lot of these shows continuing to pay all the costs they’d need to to stay open.

FlyHigh523 Profile Photo
FlyHigh523
#33The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 8:11pm

Jordan Catalano said: "But back to reality - I do wonder which shows this will now officially kill. Unless something is worked out with theater owners I can’t see a lot of these shows continuing to pay all the costs they’d need to to stay open. "

I like Mean Girls, but I truly cannot see them making it though this shutdown. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#34The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 8:53pm

FlyHigh523 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "But back to reality - I do wonder which shows this will now officially kill. Unless something is worked out with theater owners I can’t see a lot of these shows continuing to pay all the costs they’d need to to stay open. "

I like Mean Girls, but I truly cannot see them making it though this shutdown.
"

Amen, and it's not like it was a good show anyway. The only truly notable thing about Mean Girls was that the book was better than the score, a rarity right now on Broadway. Everything else I thought was meh. Good riddance to the cast and crew, you've had a grool 2-year run on B'way, and you even managed to recoup your initial investment.

I hope Jordan Roth can book A Strange Loop for the Wilson- that would be fetch indeed.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 6/22/20 at 08:53 PM

trpguyy
#35The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 9:30pm

They’d have to fight Almost Famous for it

Kimbo
#36The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 9:33pm

Kimbo said: "Broadway61004 said: "HogansHero said: "@Broadway61004 suffice it to say you are being painfully naive on multiple fronts.

"

"

what Jordan C said. The REAL (and harder) reality, if you’veactually followed any of this, is that in numerous separate polls and surveys as recently as a week ago, the majority of theatergoerssaythey simply won’t return until a vaccine is developed, period (with a small number saying they would consider coming back if drug protocols improve orherd immunity takes hold) NONEof them said “I can’t wait to be in a crowded theater with200 other people” (let alone 1200) - so it’s great if you’re having fun on one crowded tiny New York City block on Night One of Stage Two - but sadly, it’s people like you and an attitude like that which is only going to inevitably delay the reopening of Broadway even longer. (Until Broadway comes back, perhaps you should consider a temporary move this week to Arizona or Florida instead?) Jesus

"

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#37The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 9:38pm

trpguyy said: "They’d have to fight Almost Famous for it"

I see a world where Almost Famous takes the Nederlander, if any Broadway house.

Oh look, a bibu!

kaykordeath
#38The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 9:52pm

Jordan Catalano said: "But back to reality - I do wonder which shows this will now officially kill. Unless something is worked out with theater owners I can’t see a lot of these shows continuing to pay all the costs they’d need to to stay open."

I wonder: Does it serve any of the theater owners ANY GOOD to lose a tenant at this point?

In the residential world, once evictions are allowed again, there's nothing stopping a landlord from being able to rent to a new tenant wanting to move in.

In the theaters, would it be worth an owner demanding payment beyond what a production can afford, in hopes of offering another show an undetermined or TBA availability/move in date?

Or does it serve them just as well to leave well enough alone, hope to possibly work out something with the current tenant and keep them there for now?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#39The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 10:06pm

Broadway61004 said: "Jordan, no offense, but I'm not the one saying that people aren't going back to work until there's a vaccine, which is what you essentially said in your earlier post. So if you believe that is the reality, more power to you--I actually hope you're right and people and organizations are far more cautious than I think they'll be.

But in any case, this is obviously a completely meaningless discussion as the League has made their decision. But that doesn't change my opinion on it, nor will you.
"

Well, I guess we should appreciate that you have now laid bare your disconnection to reality. You have an opinion. Great. Don't let the reality of a decision to the contrary get in your way. Or, for that matter, the fact that "people and organizations" don't have a vote in how public authorities regulate them.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#40The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 10:11pm

kaykordeath said: "Or does it serve them just as well to leave well enough alone, hope to possibly work out something with the current tenant and keep them there for now?"

This. and this is the dynamic throughout commercial leasing, not just in the theatre. The calculus is whether there is some real alternative. For the next few years, there is going to be a lot of empty real estate.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#41The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 11:00pm

FlyHigh523 said: "I like Mean Girls, but I truly cannot see them making it though this shutdown."

Same, sadly. If it does shut down, I will feel super sorry for Sabrina and Lauren for bringing on Broadway for only two days. At least, McKenzie from Frozen had a month.

ElphabaGoodman
#42The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/22/20 at 11:35pm

Jordan Levinson said: "trpguyy said: "They’d have to fight Almost Famous for it"

I see a world whereAlmost Famoustakes the Nederlander, if any Broadway house.
"

A different movie-to-musical adaptation was set to begin at the Nederlander in December..hoping it will be able to open in spring 2021

mailhandler777
#43The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/23/20 at 9:35am

Fulton Opera House here in Lancaster PA is shut down until late May 2021 meanwhile Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre also in Lancaster PA plans to reopen in mid July 2020. No way will you catch me in a theatre that also has a buffet dinner.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#44The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/23/20 at 10:13am

Broadway News is reporting that there will be an announcement this week.

At this point I think it is all up in the air. This virus is not letting up. People who have done everything right in quarantining are somehow getting it. I have a friend who has been home for 3 months. He went to the doctor last week for a sinus infection, something he gets with allergies,  and decided to get tested. It came back positive. He had no symptoms. 

I have thought that theater could open this fall but I think that what this virus is doing still has researchers baffled. I think that is what is going to keep shows closed to keep actors safe. Just my random thoughts.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 6/23/20 at 10:13 AM

Speed
#45The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/24/20 at 2:29am

Musicals aren't safe for the performers.  Singing is pretty much the easiest way to spread coronavirus. 

Princeton2
#46The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/24/20 at 4:08am

Even if they did prepare for reopening in November...that's the beginning of the winter flu season. The big test for the world is going to be the coming winter. That's going to be when we see a potential deadly second wave. They could reopen and then have to close, having wasted money on rehearsals, casting, marketing all for nothing. Or even worse, theatres could be named as a source of being a super spreader. No business or sector wants to be known for spreading disease. This is something for example theme parks are acutely aware of as they reopen. That type of reputation would be hard to recover from.

In many ways it makes better business sense to plan for next spring opening. Businesses can work with a plan, they cant work with unending uncertainty. Theatres have said they cant reopen while social distancing is in place, it's just not cost effective.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#47The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/24/20 at 10:01am

Princeton2 said: "Businesses can work with a plan, they cant work with unending uncertainty."

And to reiterate, neither can audiences. In the case of Broadway in particular, an audience that has planned well in advance to pay a lot of money to see a show is essential. for almost all shows. NB that Music Man has a till that is pretty uniquely primed. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#48The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/24/20 at 11:02am

All of the talk and info has been about Broadway. What do we think about Off-Broadway? Will they stay in step with Broadway or does anyone think they may be able to open sooner?

Just give the world Love.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#49The League To Announce Broadway Canceled The Rest Of The Year?
Posted: 6/24/20 at 11:12am

sooner. Once safety is resolved, they do no have to secure an audience that requires people from elsewhere deciding to and making arrangements to return. (And even this assumes that the chaos in parts of the country subsides to the point that New York is able to again welcome people from these areas). 

Videos