pixeltracker

Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?- Page 2

Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#25Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?
Posted: 6/15/22 at 10:34am

They performed because they are promoting the new HBO documentary "Spring Awakening: Those You've Known". Are Tony performances expensive? Sure. But its part of their Emmy campaign strategy (Emmy nomination voting begins tomorrow). HBO spends millions campaigning their Emmy contenders, this would be a drop in the bucket for them. Plus, even if the funds didn't come directly from HBO, the producers of the doc (which includes Groff and Pritchard among others) can certainly afford it

jimmycurry01
#26Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?
Posted: 6/15/22 at 11:55am

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "They performed because they are promoting the new HBO documentary "Spring Awakening: Those You've Known". Are Tony performances expensive? Sure. But its part of their Emmy campaign strategy (Emmy nomination voting begins tomorrow). HBO spends millions campaigning their Emmy contenders, this would be a drop in the bucket for them. Plus, even if the funds didn't come directly from HBO, the producers of the doc (which includes Groff and Pritchard among others) can certainly afford it"

This is the only answer, right here. It's simple, and obviously the most likely to be true.

It's funny to me how often Broadway World sees hoofprints and immediately thinks zebras instead of horses.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#27Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?
Posted: 6/15/22 at 12:07pm

Call_me_jorge said: "It’s incredible the absolute 180 Lea Michele’s image has taken this past year/year and a half. It felt like yesterday when glee cast members were coming out with horror stories about her and now she’s back to being broadways favorite. She has a damn good publicist."

She's very few people's favorite. But for some reason people love to trash Beanie beyond just rejecting her performance, and Michele is apparently reaping some benefit from this. The racist mean girl (documented by Glee cast members' experiences) has a big voice, so a few people are going to "love" her despite the hatred she engenders. Not really admirable, but it's another cannonball to launch at Beanie, so why not? It's "fun," as some on this board have said.

Updated On: 6/15/22 at 12:07 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#28Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?
Posted: 6/15/22 at 2:03pm

jimmycurry01 said: "MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "They performed because they are promoting the new HBO documentary "Spring Awakening: Those You've Known". Are Tony performances expensive? Sure. But its part of their Emmy campaign strategy (Emmy nomination voting begins tomorrow). HBO spends millions campaigning their Emmy contenders, this would be a drop in the bucket for them. Plus, even if the funds didn't come directly from HBO, the producers of the doc (which includes Groff and Pritchard among others) can certainly afford it"

This is the only answer, right here. It's simple, and obviously the most likely to be true.

It's funny to me how often Broadway World sees hoofprints and immediately thinks zebras instead of horses.
"

I mean, I assumed this was the reason, but they spent so little time talking about the documentary. They could have intercut film with the performance, so it just felt so random.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#29Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?
Posted: 6/15/22 at 2:14pm

There was a loose reunion thread (more with presenters) running through the Tony awards. I thought they could have picked a better number. There also seemed to be minor sound issues.

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#30Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?
Posted: 6/15/22 at 7:24pm

The performance was great promo for the HBO doc! Seeing it reminded me I hadn't gotten around to watching it yet, so I did that immediately after the Tonys, and have subsequently watched the Tony performance like 20 more times.

I didn't even get into the show until seeing the Deaf West version in LA, but the Tony performance + the doc made me wish I'd seen it during its original run. They all sounded fantastic. I wish they were performing it live a few more times, because I'd absolutely go, but I am just crossing my fingers they release the full reunion show at some point. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#31Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?
Posted: 6/15/22 at 8:11pm

jimmycurry01 said: "MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "They performed because they are promoting the new HBO documentary "Spring Awakening: Those You've Known". Are Tony performances expensive? Sure. But its part of their Emmy campaign strategy (Emmy nomination voting begins tomorrow). HBO spends millions campaigning their Emmy contenders, this would be a drop in the bucket for them. Plus, even if the funds didn't come directly from HBO, the producers of the doc (which includes Groff and Pritchard among others) can certainly afford it"

"

While certainly plausible they are promoting the doc (meaning trying to get people to... sign up for HBO to see it?), its just as (id say more) plausible that CBS jumped at the chance to showcase Skylar Astin as they launch his new show. I dont believe they mentioned the HBO doc more than once, if at all; i saw multiple commercials for the sitcom plus they plugged it during the telecast. I dont think you've got your zebras and horses correctly identified here.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#32Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?
Posted: 6/15/22 at 11:52pm

It's not about getting people to sign up for HBO. It's about reminding Emmy voters to vote for it. Voting begins on 6/16.

Now I may or may not know of a secondary reason, which is that this cast potentially isn't done reuniting to perform this material in some form...but if anything were to come to fruition around that, they need the doc to get eyeballs on it at the Emmy Awards. This was a great reminder. This is an Emmy campaign stop folks. It's not about Skylar Astin's show. I'm sure CBS was happy to have him on the telecast, but that's not why this happened.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#33Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?
Posted: 6/16/22 at 12:26am

It just seems like a lot of money to dump for a very slight documentary about a musical that happened awhile ago. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#34Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?
Posted: 6/16/22 at 12:43am

RippedMan said: "It just seems like a lot of money to dump for a very slight documentary about a musical that happened awhile ago."

A slight documentary that already aired! Is the idea that they are trying to create buzz so that it will be theatrically released? Please. 

VERY possible there is some other project I dont know about, as alluded to above  that theyre trying to create buzz for, but I find it very hard to believe that the producers of the Spring Awakening doc that already aired on HBO dumped hundreds of thousands in cash to have the cast perform on the Tonys (and barely mention the doc itself). Shrug.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#35Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?
Posted: 6/16/22 at 1:01am

The most odd part of the reunion to me was bringing back Zach Braff, who introduced the Tony performance 15 years ago.

Glad they included the original band in the performance. They sounded great.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#36Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?
Posted: 6/16/22 at 9:42am

HeyMrMusic said: "The most odd part of the reunion to me was bringing back Zach Braff, who introduced the Tony performance 15 years ago.

Glad they included the original band in the performance. They sounded great.
"

The weekend before Braff was at the ATX television festival in Austin where he former Scrubs castmate Donald Faison mentioned they may be working on some sort of Scrubs reunion movie.

He also recently starred in the new Cheaper By the Dozen film streaming on Disney+

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#37Why Did Spring Awakening Perform at The Tonys?
Posted: 6/16/22 at 9:59am

RippedMan said: "It just seems like a lot of money to dump for a very slight documentary about a musical that happened awhile ago."

I think at this point, especially after the Beanie news, this was part of Lea Michele doing a PR rehabilitation tour to the audience that helped make her a star. I am assuming whoever said she paid the cost for the production number sarcastic joke, but if true it only furthers that sentiment. We cannot deny she is an immense talent, whose career was derailed by her own ego. Hopefully having a child and spending 2 years in Hollywood exile have humbled her.

Videos