pixeltracker

SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread- Page 2

SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread

Dkinny23
#25SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/6/24 at 5:23pm

I haven’t seen the show yet and I generally try to go into shows completely blind. That being said I’m curious to hear the style of music for this one in advance of seeing it. Is there one song you would recommend I listen to that is fairly “representative”?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#26SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/6/24 at 5:34pm

I'd say just listen to "Finish the Fight," which is the show's "I Want" song, sung by Alice Paul.

Dkinny23
#27SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/6/24 at 5:36pm

TaffyDavenport said: "I'd say just listen to "Finish the Fight," which is the show's"I Want" song, sung by Alice Paul."

Perfect thanks I’ll take a listen when I get a moment!

Ptero2
#28SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/6/24 at 5:45pm

I can't stop listening to "The Campaign" and making myself sad all over again. 

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#29SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/7/24 at 8:34am

Love listening to this. This is my best score winner hands down. Despite being firmly “contemporary” musical theater, it is probably the most “traditional” of all the best score nominees. I think in a season that has both a play with music and a dance musical stealing people’s hearts, Tony voters will choose this best score as a nod to the more traditional “book” musical. 

Congrats Shaina, it really is excellent. 

yyys
#30SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/7/24 at 9:28am

I can't seem to find the song with Jenn Colela's high notes towards the end of the song....is it SHE AND I?  If it is, then it's much better live than on record.

Updated On: 6/7/24 at 09:28 AM

chrishuyen
#31SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/10/24 at 4:33pm

Just read through this article on Playbill where Shaina talks a bit about the process for writing/rewriting each song and thought it really interesting to see how she (and her collaborators) came up with the changes they needed.

https://playbill.com/article/how-shaina-taub-wrote-and-rewrote-the-36-songs-of-suffs

willep
#32SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/10/24 at 4:38pm

yyys said: "I can't seem to find the song withJenn Colela's high notes towards the end of the song....is it SHE AND I? If it is, then it's much better live than on record."

Are you thinking of This Girl?

willep
#33SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/10/24 at 4:39pm

chrishuyen said: "Just read through this article on Playbill where Shaina talks a bit about the process for writing/rewriting each song and thought it really interesting to see how she (and her collaborators) came up with the changes they needed.

https://playbill.com/article/how-shaina-taub-wrote-and-rewrote-the-36-songs-of-suffs
"

Yeah, I thought that was a great read and was going to post it here as well.

yyys
#34SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/10/24 at 4:45pm

Thanks, you're right, it is This Girl...I just remember it being more impressive to hear in person.  

willep said: "yyys said: "I can't seem to find the song withJenn Colela's high notes towards the end of the song....is it SHE AND I? If it is, then it's much better live than on record."

Are you thinking of This Girl?
"

pair-o-dice
#35SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/10/24 at 5:39pm

If you're looking for the insane note that Jenn starts in head voice and then SOMEHOW builds into a full belt - it's towards the end of Fire and Tea. 

yyys
#36SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/10/24 at 7:09pm

hmm, YES this is the one - it was definitely after the "fire" scene. The "what do you sayyyyyy" is the line I was looking for. This is one of the best moments in the show. Thanks :)

pair-o-dice said: "If you're looking for the insane note that Jenn starts in head voice and then SOMEHOW builds into a full belt - it's towards the end of Fire and Tea."

Rentaholic2
#37SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/11/24 at 3:29pm

Having listened to this through a few times now, I can confidently say this is my Best Score winner.  It's somehow the only one of the five nominees that feels like an actual musical score.  It's great, and makes me want to see a show that I had no interest in before.  

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#38SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/11/24 at 3:47pm

Rentaholic2: Having listened to this through a few times now, I can confidently say this is my Best Score winner. 

I completely agree as I lick my wounds left by Lempicka not earning a nomination for score.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#39SUFFS Original Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 6/13/24 at 12:05pm

SUFFS is winning Best Score,  Best Book coupled with Best Musical!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Latest Posts

Videos