pixeltracker

CABARET love.... one year later.- Page 2

CABARET love.... one year later.

PJ
#25re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:41pm

It's pronouned "Butts." I used to think it was pronounced differently because saying it that way just seems weird.

LaeloftheLakes Profile Photo
LaeloftheLakes
#26re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:49pm

Thanks, PJ! I've been pronouncing it all sorts of ways, not wanting to get laughed at for saying it "Butts"

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---
Intolerant of intolerance.

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#27re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:52pm

I can't believe it's been a year! I am so sad, it deserved an even longer run! I would so see it again in a sec! and wow is Norbert hot in that pic! I never thought he was hot persee but wow!

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

cabarethed
#28re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:59pm

I hate this time of year for many different reasons last year and this year, and today's anniversary doesn't help. And I can't listen to the show now, too painful.

rclocalz Profile Photo
rclocalz
#29re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 7:10pm

Okay guys I just realized that 7pm in NY is 6pm here hence me missing the stroke to start my cd player. Should I just wait until 7pm Central Time to start playing, or start now and catch up?

http://www.glamsmash.com/ - Glamsmash Productions, a video production company in the heart of New York City

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#30re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 7:12pm

re: CABARET love
I'm sorry, cabarethed.

I was eating dinner with my family (for the once in a blue moon that that actually happens...) and I realized it was 7:00. So, I'm a few minutes late. Just popped the CD in... "So you like Lulu, huh? Yeah.... too bad, so does Rosie." A bit late, but roll on.

rclocalz, do it now! re: CABARET love

A work of art is an invitation to love.

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#31re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 7:24pm

i was a little lat in starting my cd player too. Oh well! It is the thought that counts.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

Alix Profile Photo
Alix
#32re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 7:28pm

You are all making me cry...again. Wore the shirt to school of course, have been listening to the CD all day and just painted my first coat. Wah...I WANT IT BACK!!!!!!!!

#33re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 7:45pm

I saw the tour in Vancouver I think around Aug 2000--but I can't find my programs--I ended up going as a surprise and then had to move to Montreal the next day so never looked up which cast I saw--can anyone help? I *loved* it and I remember Sally was played by a former Miss America (and she blew me away--I had my doubts when I heard that she was a Miss America, but...)

Either way amazing show-0-I'm one of the few who loves Cabaret in all its incarnations (it seems many fans of the Mendes/Marshall version dislike the original Prince version and vice versa).

Hal Prince's original show is what created his career and really was one of the most important musicals ever. He's since said he woulda been more brave now if it hadn't been his first major show, like includingsome more gay material (much of it was added to his 87 revival which was the basis script for the Mendes version). So the original seems really tame to many fans now, and songs like Meeskite and Why Should I Wake Up (which I think is gorgeous) and the lack of the movie songs seems annoying but the show was truly groundbreaking for its time. It also directly led to the great later Hal Prince concept musicals with Cabaret's designer Boris Aronson--Zorba (with Kander and Eb) and then of course all the great Sondheim/Prince shows--i truly believe without Cabaret we wouldn't have had those (not to mention the later Prince/Kander and Ebb greatness of Kiss of the Spider Woman).

The movie I think is equally brilliant in its own way--and every fan should watch it, with an open mind. Ya the story's very different (IMHO it's a bit closer to the brilliant Isherwood original stories, but it's hard to say for sure as Cabaret draws bits from so many of them). One of Fosse's greatest works IMHO.

And then we have the Mendes version. I have a video of the BBC broadcast of the Donmar original and I gotta say it's disappointing--Rob Marshall helped, and changed a LOT when he came in to co direct. The original had very little dancing IMHO, Sally Bowles was way too yelly, and it was just a bit too rough--the genesis of this version is there but Marshall is often not credited as much as he deserves.

Anyway it's wonderful to be able to see how this basic material has been changed and adpated in different eras, by different,equally great directors (and how rare is it, Chicago not withstanding, for a revival to run longer than the original long run?)

E

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#34re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 7:52pm

I miss Cabaret re: CABARET love

luvtheEmcee
#35re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 8:20pm

CD just finishing now.

"You did not find out country beautiful?
Yes, I found it beautiful...
There was a cabaret, and there was a master of ceremonies. There was a city called Berlin, in a country called Germany. It was the end of the world. And I was dancing with Sally Bowles. And we were both fast asleep...."

There's always a lump in my throat at this part.

Emcee, Sally, and all the rest... I miss you.

Updated On: 1/4/05 at 08:20 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#36re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 8:22pm

hey! we're on the exact same part!

luvtheEmcee
#37re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 8:30pm

Well, fancy that. re: CABARET love

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#38re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 8:36pm

it's over now. *cries* I'm gonna listen to the adam one...

luvtheEmcee
#39re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 8:46pm

I was going to, but I don't feel like getting up. And then I'd be even sadder.

luvtheEmcee
#40re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 9:31pm

And, one final bump - a year ago from this very moment, the final performance ended.

cabarethed
#41re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 11:29pm

Thanks luvtheemcee. re: CABARET love I just finally put a CD on for the first time all day and had to choose Adam...god I forgot how wonderful he was.

I'm re-visualizing it all in my head................and I think it's damn time I upload all my CDs to the iPod. I've been avoiding the pain for so long.

For three years I escaped my pain by running to the Kit Kat Klub. I've survived this tumultuous year without it, but I keep having these delusions that it was on hiatus, that it's going to come back and "save" me. Thank god for these memories. I think they'll really help me now.

insomniak
#42re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 11:30pm

Bumping...

I nearly started crying tonight while listening... the finale breaks my heart. Watching Cabaret is being a part of it, the audience is IN the Kit Kat Club, the Emcee talks to you... The end makes me want to apologize for everything... makes you feel guilty. I'm sorry for what happened to the characters (who no longer feel like fiction) and the real victims of the holocaust.

Thank you, Cabaret. It was beautiful....

luvtheEmcee
#43re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 11:30pm

re: CABARET love That post made me sad, cabarethed. Beautiful avatar, too.
Glad you chose Adam, though.

And, ETA - nia, you snuck in there. Nice to see your thoughts too.

Miss you, Cabaret. re: CABARET love

Updated On: 1/4/05 at 11:30 PM

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#44re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 11:39pm

I'm so glad I opened this thread. Some great pictures, especially of Raul (who I saw in "Cabaret") and Nobert. Did anyone see Joley Fisher as Sally? I saw her twice, and both times, I was BLOWN AWAY! She was just wonderful!! I never hear anything about her, but I think it's time she's mentioned. Hehe...okay, bye bye "Cabaret"! re: CABARET love

-Vincent

insomniak
#45re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/4/05 at 11:54pm

In just a few minutes, it will be over a year.

luvtheEmcee
#46re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/5/05 at 12:05am

I've got 12:05. Officially over a year.

Weeeeeeeeeird.

QueenMuppet Profile Photo
QueenMuppet
#47re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/5/05 at 2:35am

To my all time favorite show.... MISS YOU!!!

Celebrated the 'event' tonight by re-visiting Studio 54 to see Pacific Overtures (great show, by the way). Had a martini on 'the good old times'. re: CABARET love

My favorite Emcee Neil Patrick Harris will replace Gizmo as my avatar for the next few days.

How I miss this show... *sigh*

QM

'He really wasn't good as Fieyro. Is it just me or does he sort of come across as a pimp? Just...the hand motions I've seen him do and the attitude..not that Taye is a pimp.' - SallyBrown on Taye Diggs as Fiyero

luvtheEmcee
#48re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/5/05 at 2:41am

Is it really, QM? All-time? I did not know that. re: CABARET love

TGIF and I will be returning to haunt 54 in about a week or two. It's time. re: CABARET love Nice avatar, by the way.

QueenMuppet Profile Photo
QueenMuppet
#49re: CABARET love
Posted: 1/5/05 at 2:46am

Yes, Emcee, it's MY show... just like Aida is yours re: CABARET love

It was very special to be inside Studio 54 again, such a great venue. The chairs and the tables make no sense at all anymore though.

Looked up to check out the orchestra a lot, it's now based in the two balconies on the side. Somehow I always had visions of Adam being in there, 'humping' the rails. Ah, good old times. re: CABARET love

QM

'He really wasn't good as Fieyro. Is it just me or does he sort of come across as a pimp? Just...the hand motions I've seen him do and the attitude..not that Taye is a pimp.' - SallyBrown on Taye Diggs as Fiyero

Videos