#25re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:00pm

Saw Sean in July...he was awesome!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#26re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:08pm

Joel was never right for the Wizard.

George Hearn is excellent. I don't want him to leave.

Why was Robert Morse replaced?

Phantom Chicken Profile Photo
Phantom Chicken
#27re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:11pm

yes, I'm PMSing - but not because of menstruation but because of your grammar or lack thereof...

George Hearn has completely destroyed the little bit the Wizard offered....

Sean had that "secret-evil-grin" down well....

"I think Harvey [Fierstein] wishes he were a black woman. I say he's the largest black woman in the show. I wish Harvey were straight, cuz I'd do him in a minute. I like big burly mother f***ers like him." ~Mary Bond Davis on Harvey Fierstein Thanks to Mistress @ spouzic.com

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#28re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:11pm

Morse claimed that he wanted to spend time with his family. But that is what the press stated. I highly doubt that is true, as I heard that Morse and Montello had a difference of opinion - as they say about actors who leave a set.
What I think...I just think Morse wasn't cutting it as the Wizard.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Phantom Chicken
#29re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:15pm

I've heard Morse playing the Wizard - he wasn't terrible...I don't know about the acting/dancing/etc

"I think Harvey [Fierstein] wishes he were a black woman. I say he's the largest black woman in the show. I wish Harvey were straight, cuz I'd do him in a minute. I like big burly mother f***ers like him." ~Mary Bond Davis on Harvey Fierstein Thanks to Mistress @ spouzic.com

melissa errico fan
#30re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:16pm

Much as I love the original J. Pierrepont Finch, I think he would be totally wrong in the role.

GEORGE HEARN FOREVER!

Phantom Chicken
#31re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/23/05 at 7:22pm

ugh

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#32re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/23/05 at 8:24pm

i was extremely disappointed when i saw wicked last summer and sean was on for joel. the wizard should be a CHARACTER, and sean's interpretation was dull.

RIP glebby <3

#33re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/23/05 at 8:54pm

I saw the show a few times with Sean as the wizard and he was a little too Jim Carrey for me as well and nothing "warm" whatsoever about him. He was almost maniacal and his eyes would go buggy.
I think it's a thankless role, but I very much liked Joel Grey in it and George Hearn had trouble with his lines the night I saw him, but he was very fatherly (like Joel) and that angle worked better for me than just straight up power hungry.

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#34re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/23/05 at 9:34pm

i must have seen it before he developed any kind of charater. "straight up power hungry" doesn't work. the wizard is a charlatan and must be played as such.

RIP glebby <3

Joshua488
#35re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/23/05 at 9:42pm

Long live color-blind casting!

(Read back if you are thinking: "???")

KateMusic Profile Photo
KateMusic
#36re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/23/05 at 9:51pm

I believe, though I can't be certain, that it was alway supposed to be Joel, but they could not get him until after the San Fran run, so Robert Moses was only a temporary fill. I remember reading that somewhere, but please do not quote me!

As for casting, who could be better than Joel?? Although, even with Sean's very small roles when I saw him (as Elphie's father and the guard) I felt he stood out from the rest and I really enjoyed watching him. So I can only imagine what he did with a supporting role.

Some people analyze every detail/ Some people stall when they can't see the trail/ Some people freeze out of fear that they'll fail/ But I keep rollin' on/ Some people can't get success with their art/ Some people never feel love in their heart/ Some people can't tell the two things apart/ But I keep rollin' on

WickedRose Profile Photo
WickedRose
#37re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/24/05 at 12:54am

I think Victor Garber would be a great wizard! Although i'd miss him on Alias of which i'm a huge fan.
I saw Wicked on 7.14 with Sean and i thought he portrayed the Wizard excellently. Just as i suspected, he made you like him just alittle bit, you felt some sympathy for him, but you hated him too. It takes talent to be able to do that.

"Why can't you just teach us history, instead of always harping on the past"~ Galinda "Who takes shoes from a dead person?!" ~ Elphaba "And what have you been doing-other than riding around on that filthy old thing?"~Glinda "Well, we can't all come and go by bubble."~Elphaba

melissa errico fan
#38re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/24/05 at 11:23am

Kate-
Robert Morse was the original Wizard. The original poster outside the Gershwin and the first print adds all listed him as the Wizard. He was replaced with Joel Grey after San Francisco, but Robert was the first choice.

Stagedoor2
#39re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/24/05 at 1:26pm

I saw Joel Grey a year ago and Sean McCourt in July. I much preferred Sean McCourt. Joel Grey, in my opinion, was being Joel Grey. Nothing really stood out in his performance.

Sean was delightfully evil in the role.

melissa errico fan
#40re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/24/05 at 1:31pm

Stagedoor-

Absolutely, and he's always like that.
Also starring Joel Grey as Joel Grey as the Wizard.
George Hearn FOREVER.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#41re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/24/05 at 3:36pm

I saw him on June 13- understudy day. He was mediocre, but Joel was perfect. George is godawful in the role, but I blame the casting director for that.

LilElphaba
#42re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/24/05 at 3:50pm

i have seans autograph lol

I LOVE SHOSHANA BEAN.

LilElphaba
#43re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/24/05 at 3:50pm

i have seans autograph lol

I LOVE SHOSHANA BEAN.

Phantom Chicken
#44re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/24/05 at 3:51pm

me 2.....

and the whole major cast - except carole and george...er

LilElphaba
#45re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/24/05 at 3:53pm

same here
carole shelley and george hearn dont come out of the stage door, are they too old??

and sorry for the double post.

I LOVE SHOSHANA BEAN.

Phantom Chicken
#46re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/24/05 at 3:54pm

no they do...i saw them

they come out quickly and don't go near the line....

melissa errico fan
#47re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/24/05 at 6:00pm

George is the MAN! Best wizard, no doubt. He and Idina really sang well together.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#48re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/28/05 at 3:38pm

Sean McCourt was completely wrong for the wizard. I saw him this summer. He was way too tall and way too young. He just looked (and sounded) awkward in the role.

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#49re: Sean McCourt as Wizard in Wicked
Posted: 1/29/05 at 12:48pm

VICTOR GARBER is great in ANYTHING. i'd love to see him on stage.

RIP glebby <3

Videos