pixeltracker

Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs- Page 2

Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#25Disco Here and Disco There
Posted: 1/30/05 at 11:40pm

the supremes covered "i guess i'll miss the man" from "pippin" in 1972.

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#26Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/3/05 at 3:21pm

This thread inspired me to put up an entire playlist for February of showtune covers on my Internet radio station (see below). I added most of the songs discussed here (including the nails-on-a-blackboard Katie Holmes).

I've got covers of songs by artists like Sammy Davis Jr., Barry Manilow, Donny Osmond, Nell Carter, Pia Zadora, Meat Loaf, Cyndi Lauper and Dame Edna. Also included some dance versions, foreign recordings, and other alternate versions.

If anyone has other favorite cover versions, please post. I like collecting these recordings. Updated On: 2/3/05 at 03:21 PM

Love4Cheno Profile Photo
Love4Cheno
#27Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/3/05 at 4:00pm

bmeonbway2- I totally remember Harajaku. I was browsing in a specialty shop when I saw the On My Own/Phantom cd, and it was cheap, so I bought it. To my horror it was basically a random singer on the vocals, with the vocals sped up and a generic disco beat underneath. Thank God I lost this cd.

http://preppylife.tumblr.com/

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#28Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/3/05 at 5:52pm

Hey, Menkenfan!

Don't forget Frank Sinatra! He covered a lot of show tunes. Specifically, Luck be a Lady, and New York, New York. He did a lot of Cole Porter too.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

UptownGirl Profile Photo
UptownGirl
#29Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/3/05 at 5:56pm

Blink 182 did a cover of "Phantom of the Opera". I actually kind of like it... lol *hides*

"Learn how to laugh. Learn how to love. Learn how to live. That's my style." -Follies

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#30Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/3/05 at 6:18pm

they did? hmm that is very very odd i must say. Blink 182 does not = phantom.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

Sargar
#31Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/3/05 at 6:26pm

Yeah, what's up with Katie Holmes? When she was on SNL her monologue was her performing Big Spender...why do people keep giving her showtunes to sing? or anything to sing for that matter?

There defintely was a dance remix to phantom of the opera...and if I'm not mistaken, Jon Secada sang Somewhere on that west side story cd

"Hey Joey McIntyre, is there a balcony in Madison Square Garden? Joey knows his venues a little better than me. That's okay...I have a bigger part on broadway...:)" -Idina Menzel
Updated On: 2/3/05 at 06:26 PM

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#32Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/3/05 at 6:41pm

This isn't a cover cover, but it's totally fun, the Ethel Merman Disco album. It was an actual album that Ethel recorded. I got my copy at Tower Records.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#33Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/3/05 at 8:44pm

I've got Ethyl on the playlist, and I just added Blink 182's Phantom. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try to find a good Sinatra tune to throw in there too.

WickedRentHead
#34Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/3/05 at 9:05pm

Oh there are SO many good Frank Sinatra covers. As was said he covered a LOT of Cole Porter. If I remember correctly he did several songs from Anything Goes, but there are so many more out there.

jjdude2000
#35Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/3/05 at 9:11pm

Blink 182 did phantom?!? Does anyone know where I can hear it? I cant find it Showtune Covers

Grace: I just gave a quarter to a homeless man. I think it was Johnny Depp.

LightMyCandle125 Profile Photo
LightMyCandle125
#36Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/3/05 at 9:34pm

oh! there's also that band, me first and the gimmie gimmies. and they have a cd w/ showtunes that they covered. "tomorrow", "favorite things", "phantom", all the "classics."

it disturbs me when they open the number with: "when the dog bites, when the bee stings, i don't feel so f*ckin bad" and i'm just like: no.

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#37Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/3/05 at 9:37pm

I really want to hear Katie Holmes' version of On My Own. Can someone send it to me?

marlomanners
#38Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/4/05 at 9:33am

Don't forget Nina Hagen's Big Band Explosion, where she sings Let Me Entertain You and Over the Rainbow, among others. It's crazy. It's only available as a German import but very much worth it.

www.isawearthlings.com

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#39Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/4/05 at 12:36pm

I think the Me First and the Gimme Gimme's showtune album is actually pretty good. I've got a couple of their songs on my station (see below). I do have some Nina Hagen represented there also on a version of Let the Sunshine In.

Try this link to hear Katie.
Katie Holmes Sings Updated On: 2/4/05 at 12:36 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#40Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/4/05 at 2:21pm

"oh! there's also that band, me first and the gimmie gimmies. and they have a cd w/ showtunes that they covered. "tomorrow", "favorite things", "phantom", all the "classics.""

I have that CD! The best is their cover of "Over the Rainbow"- it's one of my favorite songs of all time.

Do American Idol performances count as covers? If so, that girl singing "WHITE BOYS!!!!!" on Tuesday has got to be one of the worst I've ever heard.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#41Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/4/05 at 3:14pm

I love Me First and the Gimme Gimme's! My favorite is The Rainbow Connection.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

AnothaPartofMe
#42Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/4/05 at 4:19pm

Jackson 5 did "Corner of the Sky" and young Michael Jackson solo'ed on "Morning Glow"

And if she'll say, "My darling, I'm yours!" I'll throw away my striped tie and my best pressed tweed, all I really need is the girl...

Sant
#43Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/5/05 at 8:26am

Liza Minnelli did a weird disco verion of Sondheim's LOSING MY MIND with the British disco band Pet Shop Boys. The heavy keyboard and synthsizer sounds of PSB on that track makes it... shall we say, interesting!

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#44Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/5/05 at 8:39am

Menken Fan: I Just the horror of Katie Holms rendition of "On My Own" out of my head from the first time I heard it! (Many years ago.) Now, since I have no impluse control, I was forced to listen again. THE AGONY!

KEEP THIS GIRL AWAY FROM A MIKE.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#45Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/5/05 at 9:09am

Katie's pretty bad, but I think the worst cover version, in both concept and execution has got to be the dance remix of Surrender from Phantom, performed by Helen Reddy. You need to hear it to believe it.

I forgot about the Liza/Pet Shop Boys "Losing My Mind. Adding it to the station today.

WickedRentHead
#46Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/5/05 at 9:52am

ohhh my god. That clip of Katie Holmes singing "On My Own" just made my ears bleed all over again. I knew it was bad but I had forgotten just HOW bad. Ahhh

check your personality Profile Photo
check your personality
#47Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/5/05 at 10:03am

This is so ironic - I just heard an AWFUL rendition of 'My Strongest Suit' from Aida from the one and only Spice Girls. Needless to say... it was a catastrophe (although I admit in 1997 at the tender age of 10 I did love me some Spice Girls)!

WickedRentHead
#48Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/5/05 at 10:13am

I remember that! There was a CD of like all these pop singers doing songs from Aida. Some werent that bad but the Spice Girls...that was wrong

Timmerbo Profile Photo
Timmerbo
#49Showtune Covers
Posted: 2/5/05 at 10:38am

Blink 182 never did a Phantom cover, to my knowledge. It was Me First and the Gimme Gimmes on their showtunes album.

I listened to an entire album of punk covers of Rocky Horror.
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000003GV4/qid%3D1107617875/702-8956570-8553663

Videos