pixeltracker

Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs

Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs

maybethistime
#0Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs
Posted: 1/30/05 at 5:51pm

I'm trying to get together a cd of bad/weird renditions of good broadway songs by popular artists. So far I've thought of Rich Girl by Gwen Stefani and that rap version of Hard Knocked Life that came out a couple years ago. Any ideas? Updated On: 1/30/05 at 05:51 PM

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#1re: Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs
Posted: 1/30/05 at 5:58pm

Jay-Z also did a cover of a song from Oliver, I think.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#2re: Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:00pm

The Beatles did Til There Was You.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#3re: Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:08pm

There was a disco version of "Attend the Tale of Sweeney Todd".

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#4re: Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:19pm

Jay-Z :I'd Do Anything (But I like that version.)
LL. Cool J. also sampled Body Electric from Fame. (But I liked that too.)
Bubba Sparxx sampled a song from Chess. (Sorry, I like the samples)

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#5re: Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:21pm

A disco version of Sweeney? Oh good God. Anyone have a copy?

Mary J. rendition of "What I Did for Love" ugg.
Katie Holmes "On My Own" for Dawson's Creek, that is the worst thing I have ever heard Updated On: 1/30/05 at 06:21 PM

#6re: Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:29pm

I think there is a group called Harajuku that does techno mixes of broadway songs. I remember hearing interesting versions of On My Own and Phantom. Anyone else heard of them?

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#7re: Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:34pm

GOOD VERSION - What I did for Love by the Three Degrees.
BAD VERSION - What I Did for Love by Petula Clark

GOOD VERSION - Don't Cry for me Argentina by Karen Carpenter
BAD VERSION - Don't Cry for Me, Argentina by Sinead O'Conner

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#8re: Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:39pm

i remember when i was kid an album by a group that was called "Disco Evita" and they had a huge hit with their disco version of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina". i forgot the name of the group though.

there was also a disco version of "if my friends could see me now" that was a big hit also.

Joshua488
#9re: Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:39pm

Gwen Stefani and Jay-Z didn't technically COVER those songs... they just sampled them. If they HAD covered them, that would have been atrocious. But I think it's interesting that they sample showtunes in their mainstream top-40 songs.

Katie Holmes, on the other hand, DID cover "On My Own". Listen to it, if you can. You'll know what I mean when I say "atrocious".

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#10re: Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:40pm

They had disco Annie Get Your Gun!

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#11re: Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:41pm

Disco Sweeney Todd is strangely mesmerising and frighteningly entrancing.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
Updated On: 1/30/05 at 06:41 PM

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#12re: Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:44pm

I need to hear Disco Sweeney again, but the site that had it doesn't work for me. re: Bad New Covers of Broadway Songs

#13Disco Here and Disco There
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:52pm

The "Disco Evita" was by a group called Festival. I have the cd as they released it again when the film came out. It is campy fun and I love to hear it when cleaning the house.
The Annie Get Your Gun Disco you may be refering to is the Ethel Merman Disco album she released. It is one of those things you have to hear to believe. I mean it is very interesting.
Harajuku did a whole cd of thater/movie songs in addtition to two of their own. Songs like "Colors of the Wind" "On My Own" and "I Dreamed A Dream" where just some of the campy yet fun songs to listen to.
If anyone has the Sweeney Todd, I would love to hear it.
I also know they have other disco versions of songs out there.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#14Disco Here and Disco There
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:02pm

Harajuku did a Techno Phantom, with some Asian girl who has a terrible accent. (Says "Woice" instead of "Voice")

D. Sweeney can be found on one of his box sets. It's actually kind of neat...and fun...

callitquits
#15Disco Here and Disco There
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:27pm

Ludacris samples "Got to Pick a Pocket or Two" from Oliver! in one of his songs. It's not in there for very long, it's just "in this life, one thing counts, in the bank, large amounts" and then it goes into the rap.

LightMyCandle125 Profile Photo
LightMyCandle125
#16Disco Here and Disco There
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:52pm

i like the beatle's version of til there was you. if you're interested, there's a whole freakin cd of west side story songs with artists like phil collins, selena, aretha, etc.

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#17Disco Here and Disco There
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:53pm

Love that cd..Trisha Yearwood's "I Have a Love" is so F***IN' beautiful!

LightMyCandle125 Profile Photo
LightMyCandle125
#18Disco Here and Disco There
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:48pm

i know! and i don't know the guy's name, but whoever sings "somewhere" does it really beautifully. i also like "something's comin"

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

RumTumTugger22 Profile Photo
RumTumTugger22
#19Disco Here and Disco There
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:51pm

I am possitive that there is a Phantom Dance Mix

CAGES OR WINGS? WHICH DO YOU PREFER? ASK THE BIRDS. FEAR OR LOVE, BABY? DON'T SAY THE ANSWER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#20Disco Here and Disco There
Posted: 1/30/05 at 9:23pm

What is this link to the disco sweeney.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Barnaby12345 Profile Photo
Barnaby12345
#21Disco Here and Disco There
Posted: 1/30/05 at 9:33pm

Missy Elliot sampled Big Spender in her song "Hey Big Spender"

BWayBoy88
#22Disco Here and Disco There
Posted: 1/30/05 at 10:22pm

The Jackson Five did a cover of Corner of the Sky. Wasnt there a disco version of Day by Day also?

maybethistime
#23Disco Here and Disco There
Posted: 1/30/05 at 11:04pm

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?userid=ba6IlTlArk&EAN=78635548020&ITM=2

Its on DISC THREE, TRACK 10
Even though its only a 30 sec. clip, its still pretty funny.

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#24Disco Here and Disco There
Posted: 1/30/05 at 11:29pm

ooo...katie holmes singing "on my own," ...WHY, o WHY did u have to bring that up? I have a headache now...that was SO bad...

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Videos