pixeltracker

SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!- Page 2

SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!

InfiniteGirl Profile Photo
InfiniteGirl
#25re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!
Posted: 3/30/05 at 3:27pm

Yes it is her money. Orange alert: Ashley and Mary-Kate have money, too!

LaCageAuxFollesFan Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan
#26re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!
Posted: 3/30/05 at 4:05pm

BULL CRAP! Sutton Foster gives such a grande and amazing performance in LITTLE WOMEN that if Applegate wins this Tony, heads will roll on Broadway - mark my words. Even Victoria Clark, who I wasnt blown away with, but gives a very nice performance -probably gives a better performance than Christina. You know, something in me doesnt even want to see this production! Ugh! This whole post is foolish, I'm so turned off by all of this Charity crap now.

#27re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!
Posted: 3/30/05 at 4:27pm

"Ashley and Mary-Kate have money, too!"

I think Ashley as Glinda and Mary-Kate as Elphaba. What do you think?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#28re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!
Posted: 3/30/05 at 4:43pm

Les Cage Fan writes: "BULL CRAP! Sutton Foster gives such a grande and amazing performance in LITTLE WOMEN that if Applegate wins this Tony, heads will roll on Broadway - mark my words. Even Victoria Clark, who I wasnt blown away with, but gives a very nice performance -probably gives a better performance than Christina. You know, something in me doesnt even want to see this production! Ugh! This whole post is foolish, I'm so turned off by all of this Charity crap now."

Well, its nice to know you are dictating who should and shouldn't win the Tony Award without having seen all the performances, and may I suggest that your being "turned off" by the Charity production may have something to do with your very clear partiality to the La Cage revival?

Updated On: 3/30/05 at 04:43 PM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#29re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!
Posted: 3/30/05 at 5:08pm

And not to be bitchy, but I can't imagine the CHARITY revival being any worse than LA CAGE...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

#30re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!
Posted: 3/30/05 at 5:45pm

re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony! Updated On: 3/30/05 at 05:45 PM

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#31re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:28pm

I think Dimitri meant to say that he disagreed with me. I was quoting "Michael Bennett" at the beginning of my previous post. What I was saying is that it is wrong to say the the Tonys, the Oscars, the Emmys, etc. are "all about politics." That is an overstatement, which would mean that every deserving winner won due to popularity or publicity. Often it is true that politics determines the winner, but there have been countless nominees and winners determined by talent. If Victoria Clark wins the Tony, will it be "politics?" No. If Christina is nominated? Maybe, or maybe respect for a performer who doesn't give up. I know that awards shows are not perfect, but to dismiss them as "all politics" is neither fair nor accurate.

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#32re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:33pm

Well, if she really wants it, then okay. Since you asked SO nicely.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

Chrysanthemum62001
#33re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!
Posted: 3/30/05 at 7:01pm

I'm sorry. I am thrilled this show is coming to Broadway, but I think the true reason she is getting what she wants, is because she's got money. hums *money money money...." "If you happen to be rich and you feel like a nights entertainment you can pay for a gay escepade..."

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

rent1988
#34re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!
Posted: 3/30/05 at 7:16pm

haha i think she just begged the weisslers to bring it to broadway because she didnt want to regret giving up doing charlie and the chocolate factory...

life is PANDEMONIUM.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#35re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!
Posted: 3/30/05 at 7:59pm

Oh I certainly don't disagree with that esl -- but then I would say that every person nominated with very rare exception has proven their talent and ability. But it terms of an actual winner, there are any number of reasons why a person wins -- many of which are not tied to being the "best" --

As another person pointed out -- Idina Menzel's reviews for WICKED were probably the weakest of the nominees, but she won, partly because she emerged the least unscathed by various other issues - absenses/backstage drama.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#36re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!
Posted: 3/30/05 at 8:26pm

Doubt Brantley will have much sympathy for her

Maybe she convinced the Weisslers that reopening the show might give them a chance to make money whereas if she sued they might lose more. We will never know. Very interesting. Doubt the show will succeed but I wish them luck

Poster Emeritus

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#37re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE WANTS - Give Christina her Tony!
Posted: 3/30/05 at 8:53pm

Has anyone considered that the whole "closing in boston" thing might have been a clever publicity trick? What better way to distract from poor sales and drown out condescending gossip than to take it even further, complete with defeated-sounding producer statements, the usual Riedel venom, and vague rumors of ridiculous litigation?

At the very least it served to keep the show's name in the papers, took the focus off of the obvious harbingers of doom, and occupied some time until Christina's condition could be confirmed. and just maybe the miraculous turnaround, as "ingénue courageously stands up to producer" will strike up some interest among sections of the public where there otherwise might have been none. maybe I'm too suspicious of these Broadway conspiracies, but this would be sheer brilliance if it were in fact a clutch move by the weisslers. there's a reason they're so successful.

a little gossip is great publicity. look how excited everyone was to hear about the return of the Broadway plans. this whole ordeal undoubtedly sold some tickets, clearly got the show's name out in print a few dozen times, and, most importantly, just might have been enough to get some buzz and revenue-generating curiosity flowing among the ranks of the general public- reminding the greater part of upper-middle class America that, once upon a time, it believed in a slow-but-plucky young blonde beauty who taught us all that anything is possible if you dream hard enough and are willing to ignore cold hard facts.

Perhaps we could all take a lesson from that same courageous femme fatale who once ran from Lower Uncton England to the pyramids of ancient egypt in order to break a family curse; who rose to the top of the fashion world at the urging of a dead babysitter; and now- who dares to say NO to the increasingly bureaucratic industrial-strength fabric creating the very foundation of Broadway. She may not have the vocal chops of other Charitys we've seen, but, regardless of who is behind this whole thing, she is the one who comes out the victor in the media and who, on a smaller, more general scale, has effectively "blown our minds". judging by these past few days of posts, the gal really seems to have sent a shockwave through our ever-volatile online community of self-styled Broadway cognoscenti (aka BWW), jolting more than a few of us awake with the universal truth that a broken foot does NOT have to equal a broken dream... even in a dance musical.

Can I get a "Whoa Bundy?"

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

maybethistime
#38re: SHE GETS WHAT SHE DESERVES - Give Victoria her Tony!
Posted: 3/30/05 at 8:54pm

All I have to say is in my subject.

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#39re: someone else
Posted: 3/30/05 at 10:31pm

I honestly dont think she deserves it... just because she turned down other offers doesn't mean that she deserves the Tony. And so what if she hurt her foot? That doesn't earn someone a Tony either... The show closing down probably was a publicity stunt, but I don't plan & didn't plan to see it anyway. I dont' think she is going to get it anyway, but I guess we'll all wait and see.

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#40re: someone else
Posted: 3/31/05 at 12:30am

As a person who has seen Christina Applegate *AND loved her too!* and Sutton in LW...and DRS... I would be APPALLED in Applegate won the Tony...No one deserves a(nother)Tony more than Sutton...

Neither show is the best...but Sutton MAKES her show..the rest of the cast and Christina make charity

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Coondiggitydogg
#41re: someone else
Posted: 3/31/05 at 12:34am

plus christina just doesnt have it compared to Sutton. second place Clark, third Sherrie. Though i have not seen Sweet Charity, but i doubt that her portrayal will be above those three. I do liek applegate and her acting. She is very funny and im excited to see her do her stuff on stage.

SHE prob is the most attractive out of the 4 though

Videos