pixeltracker

Dance of The Vampires.......WOW- Page 2

Dance of The Vampires.......WOW

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#25re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/4/05 at 3:49pm

Sure, the sets choreography, and music (excluding the "comedic" numbers) were high-quality. But I didn't laugh once, and I laugh at everything.

cathyhyatt
#26re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/4/05 at 5:39pm

AMAZING...one of my all time favorite shows! i never saw it one broadway unfortunately...but my friend has a bootleg of it...so ive seen it 100s of times...its amazing..we have 2 bootlegs...from 2 diff performances...one durin previews and one towards the end of the run. i LOVE it...let me tell u. the copied cd i have to so scratched because i never stop listenin to it..and we watch the dvd basically every week..i think its absolutley amazing. the music is PHENOMONAL and the actors are so dedicated to their characters. durin previews it was SOOOO much diff. and if thats all people saw i could def. see why they didnt like it. but they changed soooo muhc as the run went on and i also think thats what makes it so great...is that..all it did was grow. i will never understand why it didnt do that well.

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#27re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/4/05 at 6:34pm

Beartrande, did you see Mozart, Gaudi, or Ludwig II?
I'm wondering what those were like......

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

beartrande
#28re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/6/05 at 2:01pm

Yes I have seen Ludwig which is playing in a purpose built theatre in Fuessen (where the gorgeous fairytale castle is) complete with lake in which Ludwig drowns himself! It had surtitles in several languages, programmes available in several languages, with the singing itself all in german. And was it good? Nope! It was terriblere: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW Didn't like the music or plotre: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW

Haven't seen 'Gaudi' at all nor seen 'Mozart' in Vienna. Although I recently went onto Budapest for a few days after seeing 'Elisabeth' in Vienna and saw 'Mozart' whilst there. I definitely do not understand any hungarian! Different! You can tell its by the same folk who did 'Elisabeth' but, in my opinion, its not as great a show. Some of the music is very good but as a whole there were quite a few repetitive scenes in the show. I also wasn't drawn in enough to feel sympathetic towards Mozart or the other characters. Mozart and Amade were very good but I think the production was let down by a very weak Collerado who didn't have any stage presence or much character in his portrayal.

'Elisabeth' takes a rest for its summer pause in a couple of weeks timere: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW But 'Tanz der Vampire' is still in Hamburg (or Vampburg!) so hopefully I can take another trip over there during the summer:-[ The cast at the moment features, for me, the perfect Alfred Fredrik Wickerts (so cute and expressive) and the best Krolock I've seen on stage - Thomas Borchert (alas didn't see the show in Vienna to see the wonderful Steve Barton).

"Well we can't all come and go by bubble"

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#29re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/16/05 at 9:35pm

I just HAD to bump this. I really really enjoyed DOTV. Many people disliked it but I absolutely loved this show. I wish there was some way of me being able to hear the music again, but the website took down all audio samples. There are also no recordings that I know of, it sucks.

ponine24601
#30re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/16/05 at 9:54pm

i loved this show. the music, sets, and the cast were incredible. the book was absolutely hilarious as well. i was really surprised that it closed so soon. i hope they revive it in a few years.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

bwayfan4ever
#31re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/16/05 at 9:59pm

From what I heard through the website's demo recordings the music for the show was EXCELLENT!!!!

I was really attracted to it. I am also a fan of Michael Crawford from his Phantom of the Opera days.

Though the critics clawed up the show and it closed really early into the run.

THe same went for Good Vibrations which everyone was insulting!!

My gosh! there must not be alot of beach boy fans out there.
Updated On: 8/16/05 at 09:59 PM

bdwaygirl Profile Photo
bdwaygirl
#32re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/16/05 at 10:00pm

The show cracked me up. Loved Herbert! Enjoyed the music.

I hung out with Cheyenne Jackson in his dressing room waayyyyyy before he tickled D2.

"unleash the girly"

Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch.

Puppies are babies in fur coats.

Tinfoil...The Terrorizing Terminator

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#33re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/16/05 at 10:00pm

Does the site still have demos on it? I can't seem to find them anywhere, lol. All I see is the flash thing.

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#34re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/16/05 at 10:11pm

Well there is a lot to be said about DOTV... the more the better. There is a chance that someday it may come to the West End in a translation of the German version, or, in Steinman's original conception for Broadway which was much more in line with the German version but more epic and wild. Certain special effects from his script were planned in rehearsales but they ran out of money (on a 15 million dollar budget no less) and could not turn Krolock into a giant snake as originally intended. By the way, I am not joking and it is a verifiable fact if one reads early rehearsal and workshop scripts.

The producers ruined the show. Rando and Carraffa had no business mounting this production and are wholly responsible for the unintelligible mess it became. Rando was absent from many, many weeks of rehearsals and previews and Crawford essentially took over the show and did as he pleased with it.

A cast recording was made with all of the original cast produced by Steinman himself. Crawford dropped his Italian/Transylvanian/Whatever accent completely for this recording and no, no one seems to have it. It, of course, was never released and probably never will be.

Say a prayer for a London production to prove the cynics wrong.

A Good Nightmare Comes So Rarely,
P genre

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#35re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/16/05 at 10:43pm

I thought this show was excellent!! There was so much talent on that stage!

In Fact I think that Leah Hocking (Magda the bulgarian slut) and Mark Price (Boris) are the only saving grace of ALL SHOOK UP!

I talked to Leah after seeing ASU and told her how amazing she was in DOTV and she kinda laughed and was a little embarassed that I mentioned it. I told her not to be ashamed she was magnificent and I think the whole cast should know how wonderful lots of people think they were!

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

eponine88
#36re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/16/05 at 11:08pm

"A cast recording was made with all of the original cast produced by Steinman himself. Crawford dropped his Italian/Transylvanian/Whatever accent completely for this recording and no, no one seems to have it. It, of course, was never released and probably never will be."

Oh the things that I would do to get my hands on that recording.....

TabooPhan1 Profile Photo
TabooPhan1
#37re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/16/05 at 11:10pm

I think that with the right changes, this show could be really good. But those changes would HAVE to occur (per example: Let's write some new songs, Jim. I love Total Eclipse, but COME ON)

I hold a degree in Musical Theatre from Montclair State University. It is useless. Now I'm funny for money. Oh, and I sing.

AnotherDay46 Profile Photo
AnotherDay46
#38re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/16/05 at 11:45pm

Hmmm I love the music, sets, and everything. But I just didn't like how it fit altogether. I just like listening to the music now. The german version was great too.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#39re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/16/05 at 11:58pm

And how are you all listening to this music...? lol.

AnotherDay46
#40re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/17/05 at 12:04am

They had the demo on the website. 11 of the songs or so. Updated On: 8/17/05 at 12:04 AM

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#41re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/17/05 at 12:08am

Ah! Would anybody mind sending the 11 on over to me?! lol.

bdwaygirl Profile Photo
bdwaygirl
#42re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/17/05 at 12:09am

*PM's start shooting back and forth*

*Waits for thread to be deleted*

I hung out with Cheyenne Jackson in his dressing room waayyyyyy before he tickled D2.

"unleash the girly"

AnotherDay46
#43re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/17/05 at 12:16am

Hey...the demo is legal, it came right off of the website.

bdwaygirl Profile Photo
bdwaygirl
#44re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/17/05 at 12:19am

Yeah, it is, and the post I referred to was either edited or deleted.

"unleash the girly"

AnotherDay46
#45re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/17/05 at 12:20am

Edited. I realized my mistake.

Rentaholic2
#46re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/17/05 at 12:25am

EclipstHeart, why do you hate the proper use of the letter 'H' so!!
Updated On: 8/17/05 at 12:25 AM

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#47re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/17/05 at 1:19am

The German production is stunning....The Broadway production was screwed! I'll have to admit that the Bway production made for a fun evening, but not much more. Rando and Carrafa are a horrid director/choreographer combo, and had no business touching this show. The original Vienna production is a gorgeous production and deserved every award that it won in it's opening year. When the production in Wien closed and moved to Stuttgart, the show only grew in many positive aspects. "Starker als wir sind" was introduced into the show which in the Broadway production would have been known as "Say a Prayer". The Stuttgart production continued to recieve numerous awards for several years, and the show recently moved to it's current home in Hamburg, Germany. The German production, Tanz Der Vampire, is a darker incarnation, and is flawless in almost all aspects. The design of the show is much darker, and the feel of the music is a much more defined mix of classical and rock music. The orchestrations are different as well, and are played by a much larger orchestra, creating more of a lush sound. The scenic design of the German production is very dark and gothic in it's feel, and is in no way the "vegas-spectacle" that the Bway production became. I firmly believe that if a directly translated version of the German production were brought to New York, that the audiences as well as the critics would have had an entirely different opinion. I look forward to the day that this happens, but until then.....Wishful thinking! I have found that the quality of a lot of shows in Germany and Europe in general have far surpassed much of what has been opening in NYC lately. I am all for Stage Holding creating and American base, separately from Dodger that is, and bringing more international productions to the Broadway scene.

Later!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

Sally Profile Photo
Sally
#48re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:01am

I got the double German CD before the Broadway show opened and loved the music. I was disappointed when the first pictures appeared and I began to suspect how much the show had been changed, but when I finally saw in on Broadway,I enjoyed it!

I suspect that some of the critics saw a fairly early preview. The show changed about every five minutes in Previews (give or take a little), and the show I saw was no where near the disaster they seem to have seen.

I believe that the European Tanz is a better show, but DOTV never got a break. I find it interesting that now people are comfortable saying that they actually enjoyed it. During its brief run, to admit that one liked it was to invite a landslide of scathing, sarcastic denunciation that questioned one's taste, intelligence, and by implication, the marital status of one's parents.

Quasi
#49re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 8/17/05 at 2:15am

@ Bertrande

Tanz der Vampire is closing in Hamburg at the end of the year. So watch out for the schedule. Afterwards we will get a German production of Dirty Dancing, the Australian show.
Greetings from Germany re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW

Videos