Dance of The Vampires.......WOW

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#0Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 2:39pm

I just came from the website where I got to see a preview of the show along with its music and it looks ssssssssssssooooooooooo cool I wish I could have seen it. I wish there was a way they could record the music in English.

I was also wondering if they do the show in english in Germany sometimes cause I know there are alot of U.S. bases over there.

Did anyone see the Broadway show?

Facebook...ME !!!

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#1re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 2:57pm

I didn't know music could be recorded in other languages...

Sunfish
#2re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 2:59pm

Oh dear. What an uncomfortable topic.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#3re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 3:40pm

unmasked they do the show in German in both Germany and Austria.
It was originally done in Vienna, where I saw it in 1998.
It was translated into English for Broadway.
While not popular here, it is still running in Germany, and about, I believe to be redone in Austria.

I loved it when I saw it, and am sorry I never got to see it on Broadway

Having been in the Army in Germany, I can tell you they do NOT do musicals in English just cause we have forces there, except in the small theater centers on base.

shows are often translated into the native tongue of a country if being producted there. RENT has been done in German, Spanish, Italian, Icelandic, and now in Montreal in French....and probably more I do not know about.

I own many german productions (POTO, Evita, Joseph, etc...and I have Titanic in German coming)

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#4re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 3:41pm

sunfish, why uncomfortable?

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#5re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 3:53pm

Because this is going to start everyone on their, "I HATED DOTV"
rants.

Let's just let it lay folks. Better off un-dead....

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#6re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 4:00pm

oh I love when they do that.........makes the board interesting.
The show was (and still is) a smash hit in the german-speaking world......and nothing they can say can change that.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#7re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 4:03pm

That's why it's nice to be an American

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#8re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 4:25pm

I wish I had seen it from what I've heard the Broadway production was different from the other version.

Facebook...ME !!!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#9re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 4:29pm

I went to the show expecting to hate it but I honestly LOVED it. I thought the sets, choreography, and the music were INCREDIBLE - I was shocked that it closed so soon.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#10re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 4:34pm

Does anyone think it will see the light of day again?

I hope it does.

Facebook...ME !!!

Derek
#11re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 4:41pm

I loved it actually

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#12re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 4:45pm

I saw it before it hit Broadway on a trip to Vienna (I speak German fluently). I loved it. Because I enjoyed it so much, I immediately bought tickets to the Broadway version. I hated it. All of the majic was gone. Too bad.

riv
#13re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 4:53pm

I initially had no intention of seeing it since I'm at the end of my rope with horror musicals, but when word of a disaster spread I began to reconsider. When the pans came out, I knew this was one of those "so bad it's good" moments we are treated to on occasion. And the thought of witnessing Michael Crawford disgrace himself all over a Broadway stage for two-and-a-half hours was irresistable.

I got a great seat at the TKTS booth and had a wonderful time.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#14re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 5:11pm

It was easily the worst Broadway show I ever saw, but I'm actually glad to have seen it--it's like, part of Broadway history.

Bwaybaby109
#15re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 7:23pm

I wish they made a cast recording of this! I love Mandy Gonzalez and Max Von Essen.

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

Phanfare Profile Photo
Phanfare
#16re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 7:25pm

I really honestly loved the Broadway version. It was fun. The music and sets were amazing. :)

Dracula 1/2~ I was born to love you and to need you and to let you go free...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#17re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 8:24pm

It succeeded as mindless entertainment. It was nowhere near the train wreck the critics said it was. Metro - there was a train wreck

Poster Emeritus

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#18re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 9:54pm

What was Metro about?

Facebook...ME !!!

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#19re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 10:02pm

Phan, you should have seen the Vienna (and for that matter the Hamburg) production. This took Vienna by storm, playing at the same time as Elisabeth, the musical about the life of the Empress Elisabeth of Austria........While I liked, and saw, both...Tanz moved me more.

Silly Bitch
#20re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 10:21pm

"It was easily the worst Broadway show I ever saw, but I'm actually glad to have seen it--it's like, part of Broadway history."

You obviously have not seen Good Vibrations...

As far as DOTV, I loved the show amd I'm sorry I only got to see it once. (I bought the German recording, and I agree it is better in German)

EclipstHeart
#21re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/3/05 at 10:33pm

i saw it closing day on bway
the show was a mess
everything about it was great on its own
good campy humor
fun sets
really interesting choreography
a strong cast
and music i adore
buttttt, it didnt work together
the problem was mr crawford
he had creative control over teh script and took what was a serio-comedy in teh original german... a musical that has one award after award and garnered roman polanski theatrical acclaim
he took that, and tried to use it to parody his role in phantom. david ives, who is credited for the book, complained later taht he was basically taking dictation
crawford thought of a joke, he had ives put it in
the music is amazing, for what it is... over the top, rock-operatic melodramatic shtuff. composer/lyricist jim steinman is most recognized for essentially creating bonnie tyler and meat loaf, as he produced and composed and wrote their mega hits--holding out for a hero and total eclipse of eth heart for tyler; bot bat out of hell albums for meat loaf--and also wrote celine dions super hit, it's all coming back to me now.
he also did teh lyrics for webber's whistle down teh wind... so you'd think he'd be in greta shape, musically speaking.
i love teh music, adore it.... or cant u tell
thsi was a show that had everything going for it, but nothing worked together
a melodramatic score CLASHES with rocky horro camp
anne rice meets "scary movie" wa sjust not a good production route
but i loved that performance. i had a great time.

sry 'bout typos

beartrande
#22re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/4/05 at 3:36pm

The English sound clips are probably those featuring Steve Barton if you found them on Carpe Jugulum or maybe the broadway DOTV official website itself?

Shows in Germany are, for the most part, in the german language. Unless its a production by an English theatre company. 'Mamma Mia' for example is completely in German, the songs having been translated (interestingly the songs are being translated into Swedish by the Abba boys themselves for when the show opens there!).

From the information I have, DOTV was a very different beast to the show in Vienna, Stuttgart and Hamburg. The show has done very well in Austria and Germany and continues to run in Hamburg with a terrific cast.

I don't fully understand german, but I have seen Tanz a dozen times and love itre: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW

I also agree that 'Elisabeth' about Austria's Empress Elisabeth is terrificre: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW I'd love to see an English production of the show, and this time Michael Kunze would be maintaining very tight control over his show!

"Well we can't all come and go by bubble"

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#23re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/4/05 at 3:40pm

Wow. I have the complete score to this show and a poster proudly on my wall - I unabashedly love it.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#24re: Dance of The Vampires.......WOW
Posted: 4/4/05 at 3:42pm

- As I have with Dracula...PLUS a signed playbill hanging up next to the poster...and the music of course...

Videos