pixeltracker

Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24- Page 2

Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24

chasgoose
#25re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 7:35pm

Not all of The Beach Boys' music is dippy stupid surf songs. Pet Sounds was one of the most sophisticated albums of its time. That was the only album where you can really see Brian Wilson's genius. Something that is really lost outside the studio.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#26re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 7:37pm

"Pajama Game" is not headed for a Jujamcyn theatre.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#27re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 7:40pm

And Plum, how is THE PAJAMA GAME not better than GOOD VIBRATIONS?

It's about f-ing time this garbage leaves. Good riddance.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Plum
#28re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 7:44pm

Oh, sure it's better than Good Vibrations. But why should one bad show be replaced with another?

*ducks*

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#29re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 7:58pm

I feel bad for them...I hope they all learned a lot, made great friends and are extremely successful in all their future endeavors.

kudzu
#30re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:02pm

for a moment Munk I thought you had matured a little and were going to let it go with out a negative remark. Good luck to you when and, a BIG, if you ever get a shot on broadway. I'm just really glad that most people in the entertainment industry are decent respectful people. So sad for you!!!!!!!!!!

kudzu
#31re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:03pm

Littlefish8683; Good Karma for you my friend!

senortenor Profile Photo
senortenor
#32re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:07pm

I think if Dodgers were smart, they would have put Bare in at the Eugene O'Neil in the first place.

Heath will also be in a show at the York theater next month.

I hope that the others are able to jump off the drowning ship!

Dummy Profile Photo
Dummy
#33re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:28pm

I'm not familiar with "Pet Sounds"--is that the one with the dogs barking Jingle Bells? Yep...all Beach Boys music sounds exactly the same.

Okay, just kidding, and I'm not dissing anyone who likes the Beach Boys. The music just happens to make me want to put my head in the oven.

...And just to make sure it wasn't a generational thing, I asked my partner (24 years my senior) for an opinion. Response: "The Beach Boys were a phase that most of us put behind us with some embarrassment."
Updated On: 4/19/05 at 08:28 PM

Plum
#34re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:31pm

Of course, a sample size of 1 proves all, right. re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24

Look, if you don't like the Beach Boys, that's your prerogative, but it is generally accepted that Pet Sounds was a very artistically sophisticated album- Sgt. Pepper was at least partly motivated by the Beatles trying to one-up that album.

Dummy Profile Photo
Dummy
#35re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:40pm

I think the small sample size in question here is the audience.

In trying to be fair, I went to Amazon and listened to all the sample cuts from Pet Sounds (I remember them all now). Had to make myself a martini just to get through it.

Don't get me started on comparisions between the Beach Boys and the Beatles...I hate it when gin comes spewing out my nose. re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24

Plum
#36re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:42pm

The audience? The Beach Boys were hugely popular, and are still thought of one of the seminal 60's rock bands. If you mean the Broadway audience- well, that's a pretty silly inference to make. The show sucked in a hundred ways that had nothing to do with the score.

Kimmygonbefamous Profile Photo
Kimmygonbefamous
#37re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:48pm

I was raised on the Beach Boys...it's in my blood. My dad's and my favorite song was always Kokomo. re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24 He says they remind him of when he lived in San Diego and that's why he loves them. I've always been a daddy's girl I suppose, so that's why I love them.

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you." - Maya Angelou

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#38re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:51pm

Plum, THE PAJAMA GAME is hardly a bad show.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

senortenor Profile Photo
senortenor
#39re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:53pm

Kokomo... How cute.

Dummy Profile Photo
Dummy
#40re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:56pm

Wouldn't It Be Nice if we could just all love the same music? God Only Knows why my ears crust over when I hear those shrill harmonies.

Nobody's disputing that the Beach Boys were a seminal band of their time, but some things just don't sound as good on the third rebound.

Sorry if my stating an opinion gets the goat of the remaining members of the Beach Boys fan club.

Plum
#41re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 8:57pm

Saw it and hated it, munk, but that's just me. I know a lot of people consider it to be a classic.

chasgoose
#42re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 9:05pm

I generally like the Beatles better than the Beach Boys, but I would tend to agree with Rolling Stone when it named Pet Sounds the 2nd best Rock Album of all time (1st was Sgt. Pepper).

Plum
#43re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 9:21pm

Totally tasteless on Rolling Stone's part. Sgt. Pepper wasn't even the Beatles' best album. And Dummy, I'm hardly of the 60's rock generation, but whatever. re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#44re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 9:50pm

good riddance, the beach boys deserve better than that, as does the great state of California. so does Broadway, for that matter, and so does that talented cast.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#45re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 9:53pm

Anything is better than CAROLINE OR CHANGE. It was still worth evicting CAROLINE.

Plum
#46re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 9:56pm

Ooh, look at ickle bronxy trying to be "provocative." And you claim to be a college student?

theatrechic
#47re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:07pm

I'm just very glad that Milena Govich also jumped off the ship before she was brought down with it's sinking. She is so talented and really such a doll. She is going to be a great Millie!!!

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#48re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:16pm

CAROLINE AND CHANGE was destroying Broadway. GOOD VIBRATIONS is a theatrical masterpiece and will be remembered for all time.

Plum
#49re: Good Vibrations says farewell 4/24
Posted: 4/19/05 at 10:52pm

Bronx, bronx. Here's what you don't seem to understand: the best parodies work because they have an element of truth to them.

But subtlety was never your strong suit, was it?

Videos