pixeltracker

Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?- Page 2

Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#25re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 11:20am

its safe to say that it has already flopped lmao.

#26re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 11:26am

Let’s wait and see how bad or good it is before we all jump on this bandwagon. My biggest concern is that Yoko Ono is too involved with the production. For anyone unfamiliar with any of her artistic endeavors- be prepared!

romanov
#27re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 11:35am

Even if they did it in front of the Dakota, it still wouldn't run.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#28re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:02pm

"Even if they did it in front of the Dakota, it still wouldn't run."

Okay that made me laugh...Does anyone know if there has been recasting since SF? I've heard some of the cast had been fielding other offers.

FindingNamo
#29re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:05pm

"My biggest concern is that Yoko Ono is too involved with the production."

Your "big concern" is that his widow is "too involved" with a show about his life and solo musical output? There wouldn't BE a show without her approval.

"For anyone unfamiliar with any of her artistic endeavors- be prepared!"

And what EXACTLY does that mean? How "familiar" are YOU with her artistic endeavors, TomasMarx?

What exactly have you seen? I made a special trip to see her career retrospective "YES YOKO ONO" at the MIT List Visual Arts Center in the Fall of 2001. Coming on the heels of the September 11 happenings, the installations were an absolutely STUNNING collection and demonstration of the healing powers of art.

The woman, a survivor of the Hiroshima bombings, is utterly commited to peace and non-violence and comes from a place of righteousness that most of us can not even imagine. And clearly Lennon saw a LOT in her artistic endeavors, and for good reason. He was not a stupid man.

Yokos two most recent albums, "Rising" and "Blueprint for a Sunrise," were sheer genius.

Of course, I assume you're just another person who jumps on the "Yoko is bad not that I've ever heard anything more than a 15 second clip" bandwagon.
YES YOKO ONO

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#30re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:13pm

i hope lennon isn't a flop for mandy gonzalez's sake.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#31re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:14pm

Terrence Mann in heels??? LOL

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#32re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:59pm

"While John Lennon has legions of fans, it still is more than a little disappointing that all the tunes we love, which are BEATLES tunes, are not in this show"

This show is called LENNON, not BEATLES, so why would you (or other audiences) expect to hear the Beatles songs in this show? I read nothing about the show before I went in to the theater and still didn't go in expecting to hear Beatles songs.

I thought the show did a great job of showcasing how Lennon's influences in his life shaped his music.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#33re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 1:35pm

"This show is called LENNON, not BEATLES, so why would you (or other audiences) expect to hear the Beatles songs in this show? "

People need to understand this. It's not about the Beatles. Yes, Lennon was a Beatle, and yes, the Beatles are depicted in the show, but it's about Lennon, not the group.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

sports620
#34re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 1:47pm

Well if the show itself is not fixed then I feel like it won't be a flop because people will want to see it just for the cast. Terrance Mann.. Julia Murney!

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#35re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 1:52pm

i totally agree. some of you should remember that peoples lively hoods rely on good reviews and that bad mouthing a show before it has even had the chance to open is basically putting someone on the unemployment line. so save it until the real show opens and they have had the opporunity to prove them selves..just like you would expect them to do for you.
remember "dont shoot them just because you dont like them"

tagiunagi
#36re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 2:05pm

MY friends saw it in SF and they LOVED it! Too bad they're not going to Boston.

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#37re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 4:02pm

Hey, flop or not...I got my tickets betting that Julia Murney will make it worth it. She hasn't disappointed me so far.

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#38re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 4:14pm

Julia Murney was good in SF, but she was also BLONDE. I had never seen her as a blonde and even her photo in the playbill was with brunette hair. The blonde hair looked odd on her.

Her singing was great though, and I enjoyed her performance. Have fun seeing her in NY!

#39re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 4:16pm

FindingNamo - I am very familiar with Yoko Ono's art are you? Because if you were, you would understand that what she strives for is so outside of the mainstream that it often alienates an audience. Have you ever been to a showing of hers? I have!

Yoko loves to provoke emotional response, often without the classical structure of a narrative. My point is, having that sort of sensibility is really not a good fit when trying to mount a successful Broadway show. Off-Broadway, yes, absolutely. And furthermore I personally think she's great, independent of her being a Hiroshima survivor. Although I think your facts are a bit muddled here.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#40re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 4:32pm

"Well if the show itself is not fixed then I feel like it won't be a flop because people will want to see it just for the cast. Terrance Mann.. Julia Murney!"

Um...as talented as they are, Julia Murney and Terrance Mann aren't going to sell many tickets...

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#41re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 4:53pm

Although I bought the tickets because Terrance Mann was going to be in it....what MichaelBennett said is sadly true.

And TomasMarx....if they leave the show close to what was in SF, you have nothing to worry about..Yoko Ono's work on the show is not going to alienate anyone. The show isn't about her art or work...there is one scene that shows John meeting her at one of her art shows. You get to see the exhibit John was viewing at the time, and that is all.

Does that help?

DebbieDowner2 Profile Photo
DebbieDowner2
#42re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 6:09pm

No Mambo Kings will be the first flop

You too can be a famous singer with no French accent and wear a Twister game board in just 15 days!! Ask me how!!

LaVieBoheme2 Profile Photo
LaVieBoheme2
#43re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 6:33pm

"Hmm. "A Chorus Line"... sounds dull. And I hate standing in line. So no thanks. "Chicago"... stupid city anyway. Why would you write a show about Illinois?"

Thanks DreamFlyer22, that made my day. Maybe: "'Rent,' God I hate paying the rent, it must suck." lol. Elyse. No day but today.

Elyse. No day but Today. My avatar: me talking to Norbert Leo Butz.

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#44re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 6:54pm

Ok, check out the Lennon website for more info regarding Yoko's input to the musical. I tried to link to the page with the Newsweek article in it:

http://www.lennonthemusical.com/lennon-newsweek-5-2.html

Interesting to find out why some aspects of his life were covered and some weren't. The article mentions that Julian is not represented in the production, but doesn't say why.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#45re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 6:58pm

I'll say this.

When Sweet Charity was out of town, and in Bway previews. A lot of people said it would definetly flop. But look at it now - It's grossing over 600,000 dollars, and filling over 80% of the theater. Not bad for a show many expected to flop.

So even during previews saying a show will flop, is a completely stupid thing to do.

FindingNamo
#46re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 9:06pm

It won't make any money in the long run, ljay.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Videos