pixeltracker

Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?

Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?

#0Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 2:32pm

Will Lennon make it to the Tonys 2006 or be this season's Dracula and see it's way out before the new year hits?

gavrochegirl
#1re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 2:36pm

I think it'll be the next Dracula, honestly. But that's my opinion.

What the puck?!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#2re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 2:37pm

I'd say let it open before we deem it a flop.

Mattio98
#3re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 2:51pm

Or even start previews.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 3:10pm

Lennon is awesome. But of course, that doesn't guarantee a hit.

Some of you guys are sadistic.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BroadwayMel
#5re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 3:12pm

This is where I have a bit of a problem with deeming things a flop before it even opens or hits previews.

A show debuts out of town for a reason - they test it in front of an intelligent audience and work out the kinks. In theory, this used to work well.

However, with the advent of the internet, its difficult for shows to get off the ground without being reviewed by every Tom, Dick, and Harry critic from the area. If they have a poor review, word speads back to the East Coast quickly to lower our expectations.

I say - let them finish the show. Let them work out the kinks. Heck, let them open on Broadway. Then, we can all start tossing around our favorite f-word.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#6re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 3:13pm

aaaaand this is what screws shows that close before they get their chance.

We hardly have anything to base this on - I doubt either of you two who are already calling it a flop have seen it, have you?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Mattio98
#7re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 3:15pm

"Then, we can all start tossing around our favorite f-word."

That's not my favorite f-word but I agree with the rest of your post. re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#8re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 3:16pm

What matters is what New York audiences think of it. Shows like BROOKLYN got rave reviews out of town, but flopped in NYC. Other shows have been deemed DOA, and have turned out to be huge. Wait until it opens here, and then make the decision as to whether it is a flop or not.

gavrochegirl
#9re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 3:37pm

Sorry. re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?

What the puck?!

BroadwayMel
#10re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 4:16pm

No need to be sorry - this is what the forum is for. Debate is great! (OK...now I'm an official dork.)

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#11re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 4:41pm

I think it will flop. I know I won't see it simply based on the title and the way other juke box musicals have been going.

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

kitkatgirl54 Profile Photo
kitkatgirl54
#12re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 4:58pm

brooklyn got rave reviews out of town? actually? ... ugh. it's one of those shows where I absolutely can't believe that anyone would ever like it. wicked? sure, fine. brooklyn? i can't believe it.

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#13re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 11:44pm

You won't see it BASED ON THE TITLE???

Gee. That's... rational thinking right there.

Hmm. "A Chorus Line"... sounds dull. And I hate standing in line. So no thanks. "Chicago"... stupid city anyway. Why would you write a show about Illinois?

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

Updated On: 5/30/05 at 11:44 PM

samarag1
#14re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 11:50pm

My dad saw it and said it was very interesting....the cast is GREAT! and...though it may not be commercial enough for what audiences are craving...it certainly is no Brooklyn!

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#15re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 11:54pm

I'm curious as to why people will think it'll flop just because it is a "jukebox musical"?
The only musical of this genre that I am familiar with that did flop was Good Vibrations.
Mamma Mia and Movin' Out have had very sucessful runs so far and All Shook Up is doing pretty well at the Palace.

And why does Lennon classify as a jukebox musical? Was Boy from Oz a jukebox musical? Because they seem to be the same type of show, telling the story of a composer through his own music. Are these the same as jukebox musicals, which take a catalogue of more or less random songs and weave them into a fabricated story?
Updated On: 5/30/05 at 11:54 PM

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#16re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/30/05 at 11:57pm

I saw it in SF as well, and enjoyed it very much. I went in expecting a jukebox musical and came out thinking it was a great show with a fantastic cast.

I say, see it for yourself, and base your opinion of the show on what YOU are seeing.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

MargoChanning
#17re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/31/05 at 12:30am

It's appparently in the process of being totally re-written, re-thought and re-staged. New York will be getting a completely different show from what played in San Francisco, so there's absolutely no telling whether it's a flop or not until previews start here.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#18re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/31/05 at 12:32am

I do wish to see it again, especially after the changes being made -- I reviewed it in San Francisco, and I'm looking forward to it again, especially since I didn't think it was so great in San Francisco. If you can acknowledge the problems and repair them, more power to you!

Deet: Shira, I Love You!
Updated On: 5/31/05 at 12:32 AM

teth Profile Photo
teth
#19re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/31/05 at 4:47am

Lennon was wonderful. I am really anxious as to what it will turn into for NY.

In any case, Lennon is NOT a jukebox musical like all the other ones you see out there.

LizzieCurry
#20re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/31/05 at 4:50am

"It's appparently in the process of being totally re-written, re-thought and re-staged."

NOO!!!!

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#21re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:30am

We're going to see it simply because Terrance Mann is in it.

LizzieCurry
#22re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 2:13am

Wait 'til you see him in heels.

TWICE!

(Provided they keep those scenes. They'd better.)

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#23re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 3:46am

as much as I adore Terrence Mann, he had a hard enough time walking in heels in Rocky Horror. I hope he's had some more practice!

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#24re: Lennon: The First Musical Flop of the Season?
Posted: 6/1/05 at 10:58am

I did see it and while I wouldn't call it a flop I would be wary of how it will be received. While John Lennon has legions of fans, it still is more than a little disappointing that all the tunes we love, which are BEATLES tunes, are not in this show. That's a major problem with it and unless the book is literally thrown out and redone from scratch, it too, leaves a great deal to be desired. I've seen my share of flops, I don't feel this deserves to be in a sentence with say, Thou Shalt Not and Urban Cowboy or The Look Of Love, but it does have serious problems, or rather did when I saw it.

Videos