pixeltracker

Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?- Page 2

Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?

jaded_october Profile Photo
jaded_october
#25re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 12:09pm

thats true... although bart's character is hilarious, so is beach's, and his is a bigger part.

-annie http://www.livejournal.com/users/jadedoctober http://www.myspace.com/jadedoctober

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#27re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 12:10pm

That's what I've been thinking all along!!!!!!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#28re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 12:11pm

No to Johnny Depp (Wonka is going to be panned)
Yes to Nathan Lane.
Maybe to Gary Beach.

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#29re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 12:18pm

So did Gary miss La Cage performances to film The Producers?

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#30re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 12:33pm

Yeah, a handful back in end of Dec/beginning of Jan - thats why the producers hired Bryan Batt as his understudy. They knew going into hiring Beach that he would be taping the movie.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#31re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 12:37pm

I can't see THE PRODUCERS being nominated for any Oscars. The material is shoddy and the performances - atleast in the original and in the OBC - were less than Brilliant. Broadway has lower standards for performances. Like this year for example - while SPAMALOT recieved the most nominations, if SPAMALOT were made into a movie, it would garner 0 nominations.

If Nathan Lane plans on reprising the same role he's played in every single movie/musical/play, you can expect him not to be nominated. His act is tired. I don't even look at him as an actor anymore.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Speed
#32re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 12:42pm

"I hope he's not nominated. In fact, I hope the film displays the many flaws that I saw in the live stage show."

Ouch, Princeton. Why are you so bitter? Did someone involved with The Producers hurt your feelings? And why are you holding a grudge?

Why are you hoping that Nathan is not nominated for a performance you have not seen? And why are you hoping that the film displays the flaws you perceived in the live stage show? I believe you when you say that you thought there were flaws in the live stage show, but for your own pleasure, wouldn't you rather hope that the film version CORRECTS those flaws?

Bitter, bitter, bitter.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#33re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 12:43pm

Also, don't forget that Gene Wilder wan nominated for Matt's role back in 1967......

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#35re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 1:06pm

No, it's too early for crack, I'm still on cigarettes.

And I stand by what I said - I think THE PRODUCERS will be as thoroughly un-funny, trite, and overrated as the musical.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#36re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 1:07pm

well, on that note, so was the Phantom movie and we all know what happened there - ouch.

I do believe (without seeing it of course) it will be nominated for quite a few awards...but it already has compitition so only time will tell how well the awards receieve it.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#37re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 1:11pm

"And I stand by what I said - I think THE PRODUCERS will be as thoroughly un-funny, trite, and overrated as the musical."

Which means Middle America will probably love it...

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#38re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 1:20pm

Does Middle America like musicals??????

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#39re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 1:22pm

The list of "BEST ACTOR" nominees for a musical role (as opposed to a non-singing dramatic role in a musical) is very strange.

1939: Mickey Rooney - BABES IN ARMS
1942: James Cagney - YANKEE DOODLE DANDY (he won)
1944: Bing Crosby - GOING MY WAY (he won)
1945: Gene Kelly - ANCHORS AWEIGH
1946: Larry Parks - THE JOLSON STORY (dubbed with Jolson's singing voice)
1948: Dan Dailey - WHEN MY BABY SMILES AT ME
1968: Ron Moody - OLIVER!
1971: Topol - FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
1977: John Travolta - SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 6/3/05 at 01:22 PM

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#40re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 1:40pm

I've got a great idea, two in fact. Wait till the movie opens and stop the fcukin Johnny Depp bashing. Anyone who doesn't think he deserved to be nominated the last two years is blind. He may not get nominated for Charley but his performance will be brilliant.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#42re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 1:49pm

Master you forgot about Rex Harrison in 1964 for My Fair Lady and he won!!!!!!

LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#43re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 2:09pm

Not bashing him at all, just dont like him as an actor at all - and I have perfect vision thank you very much!

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#44re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 3:32pm

MTVMANN, I left out Harrison and Yul Brynner because DGrant mentioned them. But I should add them in anyway!

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#45re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 3:32pm

Gee, I try to always be good natured and open minded, but the bitchiness and bitterness of some people here gets on my nerves sometimes. All those wisecracks " wait for the movie first, what's the matter with you people, etc " are so unecessary. I started a simple discussion for fun's sake. You don't like the topic, don't reply, for God's sake. It's a simple prediction topic, like we would maybe discuss with our friends. You want another Idina/Wicked/Rent Trailer/Tony predictions thread, there are plenty, This judgemental attitude from some people is really annoying. Sorry for my rant, but I always try to not offend anyone and be polite and respectful of every opinion and unessecary irony annoys me.

#46re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 3:41pm

If you're going for the complete list, Master, then you should add Roy for ALL THAT JAZZ, as well re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#47re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 3:47pm

*** blushing ***

You are right! Forgot about him.

DebbieDowner2 Profile Photo
DebbieDowner2
#48re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 4:13pm

I love the idiots predicting Oscars for the movie.

The same idiots who predicted BKLYN would be the biggest hit ever.

You too can be a famous singer with no French accent and wear a Twister game board in just 15 days!! Ask me how!!

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#49re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 4:23pm

I wish he would win..Nathan Lane is one of my all time favorite actors..and he never gets the attention he deserves.

And yes, Middle America likes musicals.....I should know...I live in Illinois...you should hear people rave about Phantom....

And (maybe i'm being overly sarcastic...but) spamalot WAS a movie...called Monty Python and the Holy Grail.....yeah..that was sarcastic...but that's okay I'm in a sarcastic mood today

Was that a fat joke?

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#50Golly Gosh...where to start?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 5:16pm

First, yes Beach was out for a week's worth of performances while he filmed his role in the Producers movie

Second, the idea that anyone would say they HATED the musical and found it flawed and then HOPE that the movie would be equally flawed is just WEIRD...there's no other way to describe it. Let's try this another way 'I hated THIS and I HOPE to hate THAT'???

And as for the person who said that Lane always plays the same character...you obviously haven't seen the bulk of his work. The Boys Next Door, Love! Valor! Compassion!, Butley to name a few. None of them are falling down funny musical comedy roles so you need to expand your horizons and hold off on judging performers based on one or two roles for which they become famous.

As for Middle America liking it, that remains to be seen. Typically, they go for the mindless teen comedies and shoot-em-up action films. Not big on musicals or art films...so we'll see. Perhaps Mel Brooks' name will draw them in based on the old film comedies he's done which are now modern classics (High Anxiety, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and the Original Producers). Time will tell.

And finally, to address the original question. I'd love to think Lane would be nominated but the Oscars have a habit of avoiding comedies for major awards like Best Picture, Best Actor etc...so I doubt he'd win. Still, with this movie being filmed as a throwback (and tip of the cap) to old movie musicals, it would be great to see it rise to the top.

If nothing else, putting this on film will allow those who did not see Lane and Broderick in the stage version to see them on film and will capture the show for posterity. Those of you who hated a) the show, b) the performers in the show will, of course, be excused from the screening room!

"Life is a lesson in humility"
Updated On: 6/3/05 at 05:16 PM

QuiteSo Profile Photo
QuiteSo
#51Golly Gosh...where to start?
Posted: 6/8/05 at 8:57am

Off topic: I'm not very optimistic about Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Gene Wilder was A GENIUS in the role, and so far Johnny looks like he's just acting goony and stupid.

That and his very large white teeth are distracting.

Back on topic: I think The Producers'll get some nominations, but we'll all have to wait and see. The first Mel Brooks movie in a long, long time, and judging by the ginormous (yes, ginormous) success of the show on Broadway, yes, it'll probably be nominated for something. My theory is kind of like my theory on "Germans love David Hasslehoff" - Hollywood loves Mel Brooks. It's one of the unwritten laws of the universe...kind of like how you're only allowed to see the same 5 reruns of Seinfeld 800 million times in a row, but never any other episodes. I think there's a good chance of Nathan being nominated. As for the Roger Bart/Gary Beach debate, Roger's my favorite (FAVORITE) actor on the face of the planet, but if anything, Gary'll be nominated. The guy goes from a dress to a Hitler costume, his performance is completely stand-out...Roger DeBris is just a bit juicier than Carmen Ghia.

And on a random note, I can't WAIT to see Roger in that lovely tight black costume on the big screen. That'll be some DEFINITE good times.

Merrily we roll along, roll along...
Updated On: 6/8/05 at 08:57 AM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#52Golly Gosh...where to start?
Posted: 6/8/05 at 9:05am

Hey! Look at Marisa Tomei -- I know she's a woman, but she won an Oscar for her hysterical portrayal of the gum snapping quick witted New Yorker girl in MY COUSIN VINNY!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 6/8/05 at 09:05 AM

Videos