pixeltracker

Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?

Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#0Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 6:25am

Now that The Producers film is coming and given the universal raves that Nathan got for his portrayal of Max, do you think that he has a serious chance of being nominated for the reprisal of his performance on film ?

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#1re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 6:45am

It's entirely possible, but it all depends what other "big" performances will be seen that season.

A big strike against him is that generally Oscar doesn't warm to broad comedic performances, no matter how accomplished. Oscar loves anything serious and dramatically weighty. And they have a weakness for anything where an actor plays a physically or mentally challenged role - Nathan would've had a better chance at an Oscar if THE BOYS NEXT DOOR was a theatrical fim instead of a Hallmark Made-for-TV one.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 6/3/05 at 06:45 AM

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#2re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 6:53am

This is very true, but sometimes a great comedic performance sneaks into the five. I can't recall recent names now, but I remember Robin Williams for Good Morning Vietnam, Dustin Hoffman for Tootsie and I am sure there are more but it's too early in the morning for me !

#3re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 7:01am

There is a precedent set for male starring roles in movie musicals to not only be nominated, but win - Rex Harrison for MY FAIR LADY and Yul Brynner for THE KING AND I. Obviously, those were many years ago, but that doesn't mean it can't happen again. The most recent nomination I can think of is for Roy Scheider in ALL THAT JAZZ - but that weighed in with a fair amount of dramatic content, so it wouldn't necessarily be the same thing - but it's still a lead role in a movie musical.

Jon
#4re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 8:29am

The last Best Actor winner for a comedy was Jack Nicholson for AS GOOD AS IT GETS.

Lane could get nominated, but has absolutley no chance of winning. So far this year, Russell Crowe is a lock for a nomination for CINDERELLA MAN, and all the "serious" Oscar contenders are still coming in the fall and winter.

The other seios contender so far this year is CRASH, which truly has no "Lead" actor, but will surely get a Supporting nomination or two.

romanov
#5re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 8:36am

I can't see this happening. Truthfully, I can't see the film as a whole doing well at the box office. Chicago was a fluke.

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#6re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 8:53am

wow talk about putting the cart before the horse.maybe waiting to seeif the movie translates to screen first...hmmm? theres a thought

#7re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 9:09am

no. yes. who knows? who cares at this point?

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#8re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 9:15am

He may, but from the way it stands right now he has severe compitition from Russell Crow & Johnny Depp...

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#9re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 10:18am

I hope he's not nominated. In fact, I hope the film displays the many flaws that I saw in the live stage show.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#10re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 10:19am

And we're already ASSUMING that his performance in the movie is good enough to be nominated?

Maybe we should actually wait till they released the movie to make that decision.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#11re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 10:19am

Johnny Deep, do you think he'll get nominated for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory......Believe me, he won't!!!!!!

As for Nathan Lane I think it's very possible, perhaps Matt too, altough he might get put in supporting. But while were on the Producers nominations, I DO think that Gary Beach will get nominated for his role!!!!!!

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#12re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 10:21am

I would love to see Russell Crowe lose to Nathan Lane..in a musical. Just because of my Russell Crowe issues and my eternal love for Nathan. Then the two of them, both rumored to be divas in their own way, can start their own media feud and keep us enterained for at least weeks.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

ProducersFan
#13re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 10:25am

And the winner for best supporting actor is.... Roger Bart for The Producers!!

re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?

Seriously though, let's wait until the film is at least finished to make any predictions like this...

~Jessica

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#14re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 10:26am

Seriously! Roger Bart needs more awards.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#15re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 11:04am

Let's talk about Julia Roberts for winning Best Actrees for "Wild Wood" next year.

It's been filming for two weeks and she's gonna walk away with the award.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

ProducersFan
#17re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 11:10am

Roger is better than sliced bread. re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?

~Jessica

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

#18re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 11:11am

"I hope he's not nominated. In fact, I hope the film displays the many flaws that I saw in the live stage show."

Could you elaborate Princeton? Because as I am reading it, you are hoping it's bad?

jaded_october Profile Photo
jaded_october
#20re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 11:36am

"And the winner for best supporting actor is.... Roger Bart for The Producers!! "

WORD.

but i doubt nathan lane will be nominated.

-annie http://www.livejournal.com/users/jadedoctober http://www.myspace.com/jadedoctober

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#21re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 11:44am

Roger Bart over Gary Beach?????? Really, you guys think so??????

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#23re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 11:53am

Let's just wait for the movie to come out first and then discuss.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#24re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 11:59am

Sorry, Gary Beach's role in THE PRODUCERS is just too delicios. As much as I do adore Bart, (and Beach) - Gary's role gives him more to do.

As far as Johnny Depp being nominated for CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, if he was nominated for that laughable Pirates of the Caribean and Finding Neverlend, I certainly think he'll grab a nom for Charlie...and as much as I hate Russell Crow, Cinderlla Man WAS good!

jaded_october Profile Photo
jaded_october
#25re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 12:09pm

thats true... although bart's character is hilarious, so is beach's, and his is a bigger part.

-annie http://www.livejournal.com/users/jadedoctober http://www.myspace.com/jadedoctober

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#27re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 12:10pm

That's what I've been thinking all along!!!!!!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#28re: Will Nathan Lane be nominated for an Oscar ?
Posted: 6/3/05 at 12:11pm

No to Johnny Depp (Wonka is going to be panned)
Yes to Nathan Lane.
Maybe to Gary Beach.

Videos