Aretha

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#25re: Aretha
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:49am

It's, again, bringing the "mainstream" into the Tony's, trying to draw viewers. I highly doubt anyone who doesn't enjoy theater, but it an Aretha fan, tuned in anyway. This show annoys me for so many reasons. Rather than having stage actors (Tonya Pinkins, Anika Noni Rose, Matthew Morrison, Shoshana Bean, Sutton Foster, any NUMBER of nominees this year from "Doubt," or "Spelling Bee," I could go on) or writers come on to announce the awards, they fill it with film stars (who sometimes try to hard to be "STAGE ACTORS) and television stars...what did most of those people have to do with Broadway? It makes me really mad! Let Broadway have IT'S night.

-Vincent

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#26re: Aretha
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:50am

Well, they had no respect for her having her do that then. I was expecting much more. I have tickets to see her soon, after hearing her last night I don't think I'll be seeing her. Honestly, it sounded like something was wrong with her voice (I've heard her before).

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#27re: Aretha
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:51am

Ken,
How much do you want for your tickets.
I am serious.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#28re: Aretha
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:55am

I can't sell them, they are free (comps), but I have to pick them up. I most likely won't be doing so. Maybe she just had a bad night, but I'm not sure I want to find out now.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#29re: Aretha
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:57am

Comps. Inserts knife into heart.
I am green with envy.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#30re: Aretha
Posted: 6/6/05 at 8:59am

Don't be toooo green - Harrahs has lots of my $$$ for the Aretha comps. (Nothings really free)

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#31re: Aretha
Posted: 6/6/05 at 9:00am

Aretha is my favorite singer of all time.
I hate NJ, BUT would shlep there to see her.
I have never seen her live.
But the women thrills me!

#32re: Aretha
Posted: 6/6/05 at 9:28am

That duet, if you can call it that, was an utter embarassment!

bill mobley
#33re: Aretha
Posted: 6/6/05 at 9:34am

People, when black people sing we are moved by rhythm and feeling. We are not, let me repeat that, not trying to upstage anyone, and definitely not over singing (another criticism I often hear nowadays). I did find Aretha Franklin's voice diminished however. She just don't sing with the power she once had. But be that as it may. I just feel that black people are often unfairly accused of trying to upstage or over sing. I will admit that sometimes black singers act like they have to prove to people that they have soul. But it's no different from country singers who lay the country stuff on heavy when they're around city folks.
But what I found weird last night were those scenes from "Piazza." Why were those two women so happy? I'm down here in Atlanta so I haven't seen the show.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#34re: Aretha
Posted: 6/6/05 at 9:37am

The two women were happy because they were on vacation in Italy (Mom and her daughter). That particular Piazza had memories for the mom.

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#35re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 1:10am

bill mobley-

I think your generalizing too much, I've heard plenty of Black singers who do not to all these vocal gymnastics, and sound beautiful, the woman to my left for instance.

Now if you mean pop singers, yeah a lot of singers now a days in general do that, probably an influence from motown and jazz. It depends on the singer and, more importantly, the song. Somewhere is a simple song. It doesn't need all that riffing. It's beautiful. I don't mind reinterpretations of songs.

Audra's Man That Got Away and Judy's are very different, but Audra payed a tribute to Judy, she didn't try to top her. That's part of why they are both wonderful.

Aretha's performance was a "lets see how good I can sound" rather than "let's sing this song in tribute and in truth with all my heart and soul."

Then again, I like singers who act...not just stand there and relying on their voice to carry the whole performance.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#36re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 7:55am

It was definitely not the song for her then. It was worse live than on TV - watched my Tivo of it last night, it was actually better on TV (but still bad) than it was live.

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#37re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 8:39am

Okay, kids, just because at one point Aretha had a great voice, doesn't mean it will always be that way. Sure, many, many years ago, she sounded great, for her style of music. Now, today, many years later, she didn't sound good, at all, especially in a style of music that just doesn't fit her. It's like when people say Whitney Houston is an amazing singer. Give me a break. Many years ago, yes, today, oh hell no. I'm all for adding ones personality to a piece, but there are limits, I feel, to how much you change, just to sound "fancy" and "complex." That's just me...

-Vincent

Audryna Profile Photo
Audryna
#38re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 9:43am

Wow, sounds like I missed a truly terrible performance. I do love Our Lady Aretha but she is after all only human.

That and I've noticed from watching her performances over the years, she does tend to get a bit arrogant and over sing people when she is required to share the spotlight. I'm sure she would have done a fantastic job had she not had to share the stage, but as she did, she probably got the hump about it.

I hope it wasn't too embaressing, bless her.

"It takes considerable knowledge to realise the extent of your own ignorance." Thomas Sowell

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#39re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 9:51am

It was obviously a mistake to pair one of the greatest singers of all time with someone who barely even has a vaudeville caliber voice.

MusicalComedyMan
#40re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 10:31am

I think in her day Aretha had more then a vaudeville caliber voice. But who am I to judge!!!

Beanwannabe Profile Photo
Beanwannabe
#41re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 10:33am

They both really weren't that good. Especially when Hugh tried to do a riff at the very end. I was like "please". Maybe I'm partial, but where was Shoshana the whole night?

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#42re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 10:35am

The vaudeville caliber voice was a reference to Jackman.

MusicalComedyMan
#43re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 10:36am

I know... thats what we in the theatre call sarcasm!!!

MusicalComedyMan
#44re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 10:39am

And calling her one of the greatest singers of all time is a bit of stretch... One sign of greatness is knowing when to retire... u know like when u can no longer find a pitch or hold a note... I guess that means that Christina Applegate should retire too... (Deep thoughts...)

Jimmyojimmy Profile Photo
Jimmyojimmy
#45re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 10:41am

I'm with you beanwannabe, it would have been refresshing to hear a good voice for a change, what with Christina (uggh) Applegate and Aretha. Shosanna doesnt get half the recognition she should.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#46re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 10:43am

"One sign of greatness is knowing when to retire" Tell that to Judy Garland.

The reason I thought you were not being sarcastic in your post is that so many people on this board have no idea what they're talking about.

#47re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 10:44am

I keep thinking that 'nmartin' must be an anagram of 'musicman' - but it just doesn't work out.

MusicalComedyMan
#48re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 10:46am

I believe Judy Has retired... and please for the love of God... don't let this turn into a wicked thread... I'll have to pull out all my witty thoughts about stephen's aweful score... and this thread is about the 75th Bday of a GREAT composer/lyricist SONDHEIM not SCHWARTZ

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#49re: Aretha
Posted: 6/7/05 at 10:50am

To me they were both horrible. Does hugh believe in putting any heart into what he's doing at all? That was the least emotion I've ever seen put into that song.

And I don't know WHAT happened to Aretha. She's really one of my favorites of all time, but this performance was so disappointing.

Videos