JohnPopa
#25re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/29/05 at 4:15pm

What does ROB need to get this started?

Other than about fifty million dollars?

Plum
#26re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/29/05 at 4:29pm

Okay, assuming Broadway, or even theater, is too much of a niche to appeal to carriers (and with the kinds of channels proliferating nowadays, I have my doubts about that), why not broaden it to include dance as well? A performing arts channel could show everything from movie musicals and plays to ballroom dancing competitions.

Sure, it'll never happen, but it's nice to dream.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#27re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/29/05 at 4:31pm

Performing Arts Channel

Fabulous idea! That would be great.

hyperchet Profile Photo
hyperchet
#28re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/29/05 at 5:15pm

And if if they had one it'd prolly only be on like sattelite, when most ppl have cable

"Needless to say the crew is well acquainted with my ass and that's ok because they are the coolest guys ever." - Idina Menzel

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#29re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/29/05 at 6:01pm

There once was a page out on the net that talked about a cable channel devoted to theatre. I remember filling out a questionaire about what I wanted to see on this channel and sending it off to who-knows-where. To the best of my knowledge, nothing ever came of it.

There is a cable channel devoted to the performing arts right now. It's called "Ovation". They do a lot of dance and music but not nearly enough theatre.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Updated On: 6/29/05 at 06:01 PM

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#30re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/29/05 at 6:59pm

yea i really want this on my TV

jasobres
#31re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/29/05 at 7:06pm

Doesn't Broadway already have its own channel? I think it is only available in select New York City hotels, sadly.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

Bwaybaby109
#32re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/30/05 at 1:58am

(as Napoleon Dynamite) "heck yes!" lol Anyways, I've been saying it needs one for years. And how about a Bway radio station in every state. It sucks to live in GA and not a bway station to listen to. We have a lot of musical lovers down here.

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"
Updated On: 6/30/05 at 01:58 AM

CJR
#33re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/30/05 at 9:02am

The bway.com channel on IO is hopelessly inadequate. Im far more partial to the Hollywood.com channel where I can watch the Rent trailer over and over on my big screen tv re: BWAY needs a cable channel

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

grizzabella
#34re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/30/05 at 12:28pm

Wow! This is a great idea. While we're programming this hypothetical Broadway Channel, let's also suggest Broadway news features, too, about what's coming, going, and on, including the business point of view. I'd adore a pay-per-view service to watch some shows, as I don't get into NYC nearly as much as I'd like. It would add revenue to shows, too, besides relying on strictly box office. Nevermind that it would also possibly broaden the viewership to include people who aren't familiar with, or haven't been exposed to live theatre.

"And the postman sighed as he scratched his head, you really rather thought she ought to be dead..."

cserannie
#35re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/30/05 at 12:43pm

I love the idea. Let's do it!!

Norbert Leo Butz quotes about John Lithgow: "He's really clumsy. One of the joys in life is to watch a great big huge man totally wipe out backstage. It takes John about three minutes to hit the floor. It's like watching a Great Sequoia falling gracelessly."

Blucat5002 Profile Photo
Blucat5002
#36re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/30/05 at 12:51pm

Hollywood.com was amusing, until they put the damn Foldgers commercial before eevvvvery trailer, there is just no fastforward feature fast enough in the world...

Qfan2.0 Profile Photo
Qfan2.0
#38re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/30/05 at 1:31pm

Well i just created a petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/581544513

sing sign sign!!!

One Song Glory
#40re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/30/05 at 1:38pm

I totally agree with a broadway channel.

I signed the petition and sent it to my friends!

I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#41re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/30/05 at 1:39pm

I'm gonna sign but realistically if the Tony Awards can barely scratch the television ratings how is a cable show going to survive. But nobody ever got anything done with that attitude so I'm signing!

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Qfan2.0 Profile Photo
Qfan2.0
#42re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/30/05 at 1:40pm

Well i sent it to a pretty good channel as of right now( Sundance) but im thinking about changing it to E!

DesperatelySeekingStranger
#43re: BWAY needs a cable channel
Posted: 6/30/05 at 1:46pm

I sadly just don't see this happening. Getting the rights to air any show, taped or live, would be nearly impossible. I also don't see how how they could find enough programming to fill 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I think Ovation is as close we're going to get. Instead of petioning a whole channel, you should petition more Broadway themed programming on HBO, A&E, E!, Bravo, etc.

Videos