pixeltracker

Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?- Page 2

Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?

lesmisforever Profile Photo
lesmisforever
#25re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 4:29pm

I haven't seen it yet because I can't really afford to go to New York...do you know if it will ever tour? (I live in New Orleans and have never been to New York). I downloaded the recording from itunes but have not yet listened to it. I look forward to listening to it though.

"I have a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

Sluggy Profile Photo
Sluggy
#26re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 5:36pm

TonyinATL,

I saw the production for the second time on Sunday, and, if anything, knowing the music enhanced the experience for me. It was great to see the songs enacted in context and I found myself anticipating the performances of my favorites!
Hope you enjoy the show!

"Which way do you want these pleats turned?" "Toward Mecca."

MusicalDirector109
#27re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 5:38pm

Can't wait to see it a second time during Labor Day weekend!!!

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#28re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 5:53pm

I think it's just not being talked about 'cause there isn't too much NEWS about it...no worries :0)

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

FindingNamo
#29re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 5:58pm

I think the connection between lack of discussion of Piazza and your absence from the board for two weeks can not be underestimated.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#30re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 9:23pm

When I saw Piazza in early July, it was being taped. The camera was right behind me. I am not sure if it was just for the archives or for other purposes as well.

Excellent show that night too.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#31re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 9:32pm

They were probably taping it for the LCT archives.

I was actually close to seeing it this evening because I was right by the theatre (my friends and I went to see Philip Chaffin at Tower Records), but I'm planning to spend very little money over the next few days, because I'm leaving for Firenze on Tuesday! So even though I'm not seeing the show, I'm going to the actual place, which is close enough! re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?

I agree: the show is getting the right amount of attention. It shouldn't be discussed so much that it becomes a joke.

Doubt it'll tour. It's already done two regional productions.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

jmnpublications
#32LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/27/05 at 10:01pm

Like many on this thread, I also saw LITP on Sunday and was swept away by it. The performances are all stellar, including the one turned in by understudy David Burnham, who was delightful as Fabrizio. The audience loved him. Many of us stood as soon as he hit the stage for his curtain call.

What surprised me was how strong the book was. Craig Lucas seems to have been given short shrift for his writing. The dialog is very tender and quite humorous in places. The gentle jokes that arise because of the language barrier are really funny, as are Victoria Clark's skeptical observations as the mother. I thought the direction was quite strong, too. Everything pulled together beautifully.

The score was haunting, romantic and powerful, but I can see where it might be tough for people to appreciate if they have only listened to the OBCR. It's so much more impressive to see and hear the songs performed live, within the context of the show - especially against that wonderful Florentine scenery!

It was a great weekend. I finally saw Avenue Q Saturday night(which I thought was adorable), had brunch at Tavern on the Green Sunday, and ended with LITP. A very nice trip in from Boston, all in all.

lc

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#33LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 1:01am

piazza has been discussed quite a bit! i'm guessing that most nyc fans have already seen it and commented on it by now.

we saw the show last week, and i was expecting it to be good, but i didn't see how it could possibly live up to all the hype it's gotten on this board. BUT IT DID! it was absolutely wonderful!! i was moved to tears.

RIP glebby <3
Updated On: 7/28/05 at 01:01 AM

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#34LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 1:21am

I saw the Saturday evening show on the 16th. I was sure that after all the hype I had read on these boards about it, that I would at least be disappointed on some level... but thankfully, the good people of BWW were 100% right about this show. I have been saying for the last week that Piazza was the most PERFECT show I have ever seen on Broadway. Just perfect in every aspect. The performances were all deserving of their respective nominations and then some... and even those that weren't nominated. Victoria, Matt, and Kelli were all ASTOUNDING (and more than gracious at the stage door). The sets and lighting were breath-taking... and the music is so hauntingly beautiful. I was visibly crying during so many parts of this show. Thankfully, I had never made it all the way through the cast recording before I went to the show, so when the big secret was revealed, I was totally blindsided.

I wanted to post a full review of the show... but it's so hard to articulate everything I loved about this show! I wish so much I could see it again... and who knows... maybe when I go to audition for college this fall...

There, that is MY love for the Piazza!

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

aegeusrocks Profile Photo
aegeusrocks
#35LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 1:41am

Good heavens, I sure hope not, nor do I think so. I saw Piazza back in April, when it wasn't THE show to see, when attendance was only mediocre, and the buzz hadn't quite started (thank you Tony awards). I loved it more than any other show I've seen, and listen to the recording at any chance I get. My love for its light is still strong, and it sounds like everyone else's is too. LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#36LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 11:44am

Went to the library at Lincoln centre yesterday and happened to notice the new (well, new to me) posters in front of the Beaumont...now all four are dedicated to the show, as opposed to a couple months ago when two were for Dessa Rose. I'm glad people are enjoying it. I don't think it hurts to talk about something that touches people so positively. Those who don't wish to discuss it should just pass on this and other Piazza threads and read what you like. I find the huge amount of negative posts on the boards these days to be a real turn off. There seem to be a LOT of bitter people out there who just want to piss on everyone's wheaties - but I'd rather spend time on a thread like this one where we can discuss the positive affects of theatre on audiences, and the beauty that is in the writing, direction and performances of such a well crafted piece.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#37LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 11:46am

redhotinnyc2- Agree completely.

.... and can I just express how much I love the expression, "Piss on everyone's wheaties!" LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday Made my day... haha.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

redhotinnyc2
#38LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 12:15pm

Thank you! I thought it was an apropos phrase, myself!

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

#39LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 12:30pm

there are new posters at both entrances for the theater- the upstairs plaza entrance and the downstairs box office entrance- mostly photos taken from the show.

redhotinnyc2
#40LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 12:32pm

That great closeup of Victoria on the phone shows the tears running down her face - and reminds me of just how fantastic her performance is.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#41LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 12:37pm

Actr97J, you described your experience so perfectly. That's exactly how I felt about the show and can't wait to see it again. For those of you who notice I've seen Hairspray a lot, see, there are other shows I like!!!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

bwayondabrain
#42LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 12:47pm

hows the stage door for it? do all the stars usually come out, and are they nice, and everything?
wow, less than 2 weeks...i cant wait to see it!!!

redhotinnyc2
#43LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 12:51pm

The night we went, most of the cast came out and were very gracious. We got to spend about 10 minutes talking with Victoria Clark and she was so sweet and sincere. Michael Baresse was happy to hear that people loved it so much, and Laura Griffith had gone on for Franca that night and she was just glowing (I'd been in class with her so we spoke about how far she's come in the biz) Kelli signed, and greeted people, also.

bwayondabrain
#44LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 1:01pm

well, im glad they're all nice and everything (i hope i can see victoria, kelli, and matt *prays!*)
where is the vivian beaumount anyway? i haven't seen it before? is it like WAY off the central part of broadway, or something?

redhotinnyc2
#45LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 1:07pm

It's at Lincoln Center, not near any other Broadway houses. It sits back off the main drag behind another building - but it's easy to find. Once you get to Lincoln center, just head back past the fountain, veer to the right and diagonally you will see the Vivian Beaumont behind some other trees on a plaza.

#46LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 1:12pm

but the directions redhot just gave you are for the entrance and to find the stage door after youre inside, youd have to exit downstairs and out the box office to the left. of course once youre inside you could always ask an usher to direct you.

bwayondabrain
#47LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 1:14pm

wow, thanks redhotinnyc2 for answering all my stupid questions :) "you're soo good!" LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
my fave piazza song is "the beauty is", i think...or "fable", im not sure...
is there any bad stuff in piazza like cursing, sex, etc (i wouldnt think so), but im young-er than most of yall, and my parents might get mad if theres bad stuff in the show...?

redhotinnyc2
#48LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 1:19pm

I don't think there is necessarily any cursing to speak of - most of the adult content is alluded to as opposed to actually performed or acted out. I think your parents would approve.

bwayondabrain
#49LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday
Posted: 7/28/05 at 1:27pm

*wipes sweat off forehead* well, thats good! but i guess after seeing Chicago, i could see almost anything! LC Saw a Bright LITP on Sunday yay!

Videos