pixeltracker

Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?

Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#0Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:09pm

I rarely see posts about Piazza anymore - I was away for two weeks and it seems that popularity of the show has slacked off - or is that my imagination? I still feel that it is the finest piece of musical theatre on Broadway at the moment. Guess I'm just showing it some love!

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#1re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:12pm

I'm still excited about seeing it on the 11th. re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?

broadway betty Profile Photo
broadway betty
#2re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:16pm

Piazza love=happy betty :)

"I'm the STAR!"--Daniel Reichard during Glory Daze sound check

redhotinnyc2
#3re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:19pm

Oh Good - I was afraid people had forgotten about it - I need to listen to it again - as a matter of fact, think I'll put it on now!

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

musicals4ever Profile Photo
musicals4ever
#4re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:20pm

Piazza is absolutely wonderful...such a passionate score and such amazing performaces. plus, so many yalies involved in the production...which makes me so happy.

"From out of the blue, It's green for go, I'm in the pink, Kissing a philosopher really Colors the way you think."~Bright Lights, Big City

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#5re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:21pm

I was lucky enough to see LITP last Sunday. I loved it! It was just as beautiful as everyone has been describing it. My favorite part was during Clara's Interlude when Kelli had that entire stage to herself! I got chills multiple times. Matthew Morrison was out re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out? So i was dissappointed. But his understudy was a truly great performer as well.
I LOVE Kelli O'Hara. Now, I haven't seen Sara in Spamalot, but I wish Kelli could have won that Tony. Her performance was outstanding. I had a great experience at LITP! I would recomend this show to anyone who wants to experience a beautiful and moving piece of musical theatre.
(I did have a problem with my studentix though! i bought them online but forgot to bring my student id to the box office. the guy gave my friends and i a really hard time. so, if you sign up with studentix DONT FORGET YOUR ID!!)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#6re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:22pm

I think it's better Piazza dosen't get the number of threads like Wicked. That just turns people away from the show.

Even if there aren't as many posts here - the show is obviously still hot - look at the grosses. They are very strong still.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#7re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:25pm

Yayyyyyy Piazza. re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?

This is my signature.

Sluggy Profile Photo
Sluggy
#8re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:25pm

Hey, Red -

I was at the Sunday matinee, and if the audience response is any indication, the light is mighty strong!
I just e-mailed someone and said if they keep getting enthusiastic crowds like this, I hope they'll extend past January.
I loved the show even more this time around - knowing all the music by heart may have helped. I don't know. David Burnham was adorable as Fabrizio and the audience loved him!

"Which way do you want these pleats turned?" "Toward Mecca."

redhotinnyc2
#9re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:29pm

Sluggy - thats great to hear. I wish they'd extend - but even more, I wish that, eventually, it would be filmed for PBS and later released on DVD. I think so many people who can't get to NY to see it would absolutely love it - it's SO life affirming!

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
Sluggy Profile Photo
Sluggy
#11re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:33pm

LOL! I was sitting at the theater on Sunday thinking, "Please, God, let someone tape this!"
Especially since they don't have a lovely big glossy program full of photographs of the fabulous design elements!

"Which way do you want these pleats turned?" "Toward Mecca."

lvpblues
#12re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:34pm

I agree: it should be preserved for TV/DVD release. It's such a sumptuous feast for the eye and ears.

I plan on going back on Friday. Can't wait.

broadway betty Profile Photo
broadway betty
#13re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:34pm

All this talk about extending past January and it being released on dvd is making me quiver with...*say it!*...anticipation! I'd actually flip my lid if either of those things happened! This show is so dear to me, I wish it could stick around forever. It's an instant classic that needs to be seen by all and needs the respect of having a permanent production on Broadway. I've seen big, burly men cry and straight men cheer and holler. The Light in the Piazza is absolutely magical!

"I'm the STAR!"--Daniel Reichard during Glory Daze sound check

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#14re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:36pm

I love Piazza. Though it's not one of the shows I can listen to all of the time.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

apdarcey
#15re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:36pm

there's still love from me!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#16re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 1:48pm

Jarico and I are going to see it in 3 weeks.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

notabb
#17re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 2:39pm

I'm going again this Sunday . I doubt the light has gone out but some people on the boards are sooooooo relentless about the shows they love I try not to go overboard. BUT this will be my 10th time seeing it so I feel I've put my money where my mouth is.Without a doubt the most glorious show around!

SporkGoddess
#18re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 2:59pm

Heavens no, not for me anyway! I am absolutely obsessed with it. re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out? Sadly, I doubt that I'll ever get to see it though. Sigh. I did order the script that's being released in November though... just a few more months...

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

theatreboi11
#19re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:27pm

Is there a good chance they will kinda just give the show an open run at that theatre? Or move it to a new one? I really hope they just let it run and stop giving it extended through dates! Hopefully a trip yet to be planned for nyc in the next two years will find me seeing this musical!

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#20re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:45pm

Still a Piazza fan...going back for my third and very likely last time for the matinee on the 24th, but excited b/c I'm bringing my mom and aunt this time, they'll love it.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#21re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:51pm

Theatreboi - It's 95% impossible that Piazza will move to another theatre or become a open ended show. Lincoln Center is a non profit theatre - they only do productions which last for a limited time.

Piazza was suppose to close in June - and it has gotten renewed two times - which is almost rare for a Lincoln Center show.

TonyInATL Profile Photo
TonyInATL
#22re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 3:58pm

I'll be seeing Piazza (not Mike) for the first time this Friday, and I'm looking forward to it! I love the score, and wonder if I shouldn't have become so acquainted with it before seeing the show.

As for the dearth of posts regarding The Light in the Piazza, a lot of folks on this board seem to be far more interested in giving us daily reviews of the three Wicked productions (like cancer it's spreading), and whether the cherry picker worked on Defying Gravity.

Updated On: 7/27/05 at 03:58 PM

#23re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 4:18pm

I did reviews on my trip to see Piazza, I love it now even more than before... I just don't know how many people read my reviews. Anyway, the love is not dying for me.

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#24re: Has the Light in the Piazza gone out?
Posted: 7/27/05 at 4:18pm

Personally, I think that Piazza benefits from being less exposed than Wicked. I think it gets a sensible amount of attention.

Videos