best? worst? phantoms

Chevstriss
#25re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/2/05 at 11:40pm

Paul Stanley did PotO?? jeez how did I miss that?

I guess he's used to wearing lots of makeup.

I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog

anthonypisano
#26re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/3/05 at 2:35am

Saw Robert Guillome in Los Angeles....he was very good.

carlobarlo
#27re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/3/05 at 2:37am

Brad Little!!! I just met him!!! He came to watch a theater class that I help teach... His niece was in the class! He is a great guy... and an AMAZING Phantom!

stage_door76 Profile Photo
stage_door76
#28re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/3/05 at 5:11am

the best around...

ANTHONY WARLOW

hands down.

"...But Kungurtseva reels off multiple fouettes and the tape is stopped so she can take a bow. The Jester, an abomination introduced to Swan Lake in Soviet times, extorts applause from the audience. The cuts don't help the storytelling, the production is bare bones and they go for the '50s-style happy ending. The audience cheers like mad at the end. It's the Russian ballet, after all..."

#29re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/3/05 at 3:20pm

I met Brad Little also but in 1999 he is so nice and all I wish I could meet him again he is one of the best phantoms well my list 2nd best and I am including another one to my bad list and that is Paul Stanely lol weird

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
#30re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/3/05 at 3:27pm

Best- Howard McGillin

Worst- The guy from the movie.

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

Sant
#31re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/3/05 at 3:56pm

Chevstriss, Paul Stanley played the part in Toronto in its final year. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he played the role during the summer 1999 for 2-3 months (may-august, or so) and then returned to the role for the last 30-ish performances.
But as I said, I'm NOT 100% sure.

My favorite Phantoms:

1. Peter Karrie (UK)
2. Hugh Panaro (B'way)

Least favorites:

1. David Gashen (B'way)
2. Gerard Butler (the film)

BSoBW2
#32re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/3/05 at 3:57pm

BEST
Hugh

WORST
Gerard

billyrubin Profile Photo
billyrubin
#33re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/3/05 at 4:07pm

The photo to the left is Paul Stanley performing as the Starchild in KISS. His run as the Phantom at the Pantages Theatre in Toronto was for 2 months during the summer of 1999. The show was extended for 40 shows later that fall, as his conflicts with KISS enabled him to return.

He has been offered more work in both London & NYC, but has yet to commit to anything. To both the delite and chagrin of many, he will return to the theatre someday.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#34re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/3/05 at 4:34pm

Best:
TED KEEGAN! Anyone who has not seen him is seriously missing out.

Worst:
GERARD BUTLER
Michael Crawford

#35re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/3/05 at 6:57pm

I actually really enjoyed Thomas James O'Leary. Whoever performed before Davis Gaines (who I loved also)----I can't remember his name, but I didn't enjoy his performance. Marcus something??? Anyway, I may be wrong with this also, but I think I detect a speech impediment on Howard McGillin---he seems to have trouble with his "s". So, I'd have to say my favorites are: DAVIS GAINES
HUGH PANARO
THOMAS JAMES O'LEARY

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#36re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/3/05 at 10:16pm

justafan22: Marc Jacoby?

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

Gingersnap Profile Photo
Gingersnap
#37re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/3/05 at 10:27pm

justanfan22 - could it be Marcus Lovett?

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#38re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/3/05 at 11:36pm

Best:

Colm Wilkinson
Gerard Butler
Hugh Panaro

Worst:

Michael Crawford - You know, everyone says he is so great, but I really just HATE his voice. I don't know why, I just really really do.

eatlasagna
#39re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 2:44am

I actually like Gerard Butler.

I hated Brad Little the first time I saw him, and then the 2nd time he absolutely blew me away.

Didn't care for Ian Jon Bourg (was upset that I didn't get to see Davis Gaines).

And my first Phantom I ever saw was Rick Hilsabeck and I thought he was decent.

And I'm curious... did anyone see Kevin Gray as the Phantom? I loved his Engineer in Miss Saigon and am curious as to how his voice was for the role of the Phantom.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#40re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 8:37am

Best: Davis Gaines, Ethan Freeman, Michael Crawford, Hugh Panaro, Howard Mcgillin (earl Carpenter has promise, except for the high notes)

Worst: Gerard Butler, Simon Bowman, Glyn Kerslake

Bland and rather uncharacteristically boreing with a voice that was just so, so... Ted Keegan, Jeff Hyslop.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

#41re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 3:26pm

How the heck can you say Michael Crawford is the worst phantom? He is the best unless you never heard him he is awesome listen to him again if you need to and again till you see he is the best well not best but not on the worst list

jynni
#42re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 3:44pm

I know plenty of people who just don't care for Michael Crawford. His voice literally makes them cringe.

It's all subjective - whose singing one enjoys is all a matter of opinion. One person may hear a beautiful voice while another hears nails on a chalkboard.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#43re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 4:02pm

"I know plenty of people who just don't care for Michael Crawford. His voice literally makes them cringe.

It's all subjective - whose singing one enjoys is all a matter of opinion. One person may hear a beautiful voice while another hears nails on a chalkboard."

Ditto 100%

#44re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 4:12pm

I am sorry it's just that I am a huge phan of him and all! angel my soul was weak forgive me

mcphan19 Profile Photo
mcphan19
#45re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 4:24pm

I'm a huge phan of Crawford's as well and I think that everyone is entitled to their own opinion - it could be totally and utterly wrong, but it's their opinion...

also forgot to mention Ted Keegan and John Owen Jones in my list of best phantoms; also as for Colm Wilkinson, I'm to accustomed to hearing him as Valjean, so I wasn't really fond of the Canadian hightlights

#46re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 6:06pm

I think it was Marc Jacoby (was he the phantom right before Davis Gaines?----I wish I had an "in order" list). Anyway---he was the first phantom I saw----didn't particularly care for his performance. I went a year or so later and saw Davis Gaines and was amazed (needed a cold shower after the "point of no return" scene). Next 4 or 5 times, I saw (and met) Thomas J. O'Leary, who was incredibly nice----I really enjoyed his performance. Then I saw Howard McGillin (again---I was distracted by his speech pattern) and finally, was blown away by Hugh Panaro's performance last year.

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#47re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 6:13pm

wow its hard to say whos the best!
Michael Crawford is amazing just by listening to him.
But I think Howard McGillin is the best Phantom. Hugh Panaro is awesome to!
I really haven't seen that many actors as the Phantom so I can't say anyone is bad.

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#48re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 6:14pm

Best is Hugh Panaro

Worst is Michael Crawford & Gerard Butler

Cape Twirl of Doom: Colm most notably played Valjean, not Javert. He is the Valjean everywhere and the only one recorded.

And Angelofmusicerik: learn to use punctuation...

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#49re: best? worst? phantoms
Posted: 11/4/05 at 6:19pm

Well, Gary Morris is Valjean on the Complete Symphonic Recording.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

Videos