pixeltracker

Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....- Page 2

Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#25re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....
Posted: 1/5/06 at 2:29pm

I just recently purchased this CD too, actually. Not knowing much about Peter Allen and only being aquainted with BFO via all of Hugh Jackman's publicity spots in '04, I probably went in to it with the definition of a wide open mind. What finally tipped the scale and made me buy the album? Listening to Broadway Internet Radio and it flipping to "Quite Please, There's a Lady Onstage". That track is still a great highlight of the album for me. I can only imagine what it was like live.

I also have completely fallen for "The Boy Next Door", "I'd Rather Leave While I'm in Love" and "Once Before I Go." Actually, I'd considered reviving that 'best 3 consecutive songs on a recording' thread to mention "Quite Please..", "I'd Rather Leave" and "Boy Next Door". Great trio of songs, IMO.

With that said, I totally agree that this recording has to grow on you. I think my INITIAL listening was similar to your feelings, mad4music... short of the song I'd heard on internet radio and a couple others Hugh sang live, nothing really stuck out. Re-listening has made a lot more of the recording stick out now. Particularly "Tenterfield Saddler". Call me dense, but I didn't make the autobiographical connection until recently. I then did research on the song, etc... and now it's on constant rotation in my Ipod. re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....

Hmmm... And while we've brought this show up (if you're still reading, bless you.. re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....) I wanted to start a thread to ask: Can anyone supply me with a pretty detailed synopsis of the show? I've read the one in the liner notes and it's pretty basic to the point of confusing me in a couple spots (characters listed in the cast list that aren't in the synop, etc). If you could PM a better synopsis to me, I'd be SO SO grateful.

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

Updated On: 1/5/06 at 02:29 PM

Galilee Profile Photo
Galilee
#26re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....
Posted: 1/5/06 at 2:30pm

Liza never came to see the show.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#27re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....
Posted: 1/5/06 at 2:34pm

http://www.theatre-musical.com/boyfromoz/synopsis.html

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#28re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....
Posted: 1/5/06 at 2:38pm

re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless.... Thanks. That helps a bit in filling in gaps!

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#29re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....
Posted: 1/5/06 at 2:58pm

this cd was very dissapointing to me too....but i really like the girl that plays Judy Garland....anyhow...still not really worth buying it.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#30re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....
Posted: 1/5/06 at 4:41pm

I just thought SJB was not amazing in the role....frankly i thought she was the weakest link..... vocally and performance... and i saw the show when she had settled into the role... i love SJB but not in this role

i love the cd minus Love Crazy...what a god awful song

jo
#31re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....
Posted: 1/5/06 at 8:11pm

Stephanie did grow into the role ( I saw the show initially in November and December... and came back in August and the show's closing in September) - and the change was so immense, that on the show's closing performance, she almost stole the show from Hugh ( can you imagine anyone doing that???) when she sang I LOVE TO HEAR THE MUSIC. Her energy and showmanship not only rivalled Liza herself but the stage practically shook with her performance. The standing ovation went on for so long, as we all cheered for this excellent performer!

Updated On: 1/5/06 at 08:11 PM

HamletWasBipolar Profile Photo
HamletWasBipolar
#32re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....
Posted: 1/5/06 at 9:44pm

When it comes to Broadway soudtracks in general, there are always going to be "klunkers" and hits on each one. There are also as many types of fans as there are musicals to suit them. I mean, look at Cats, for gosh sake. But it always amazes me to see how many legitimately moving and touching moments are disregarded by the average " When does the chandelier come down" type of fan. The last half of the show deals with AIDS and the battle that he fought. Unlike other musicals, he wrote this soundtrack to correspond with his life. When he sings , "Once Before I Go"..hes ready to "go".Now this is just one example from the soundtrack, but there are so many more poignant moments. I agree with one of the previous commenters who thought it had one of the best 1-2-3 punches with "quiet please" etc. I think it is a terrific soundtrack, with great orchestrations. It's like watching the Biography channel, set to showtunes!

" I wish that the stage were as narrow as a tightrope wire, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." -- Goethe (he wants you to go to my Myspace page www.myspace.com/jasonklemm

jo
#33re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....
Posted: 1/5/06 at 10:38pm

ONCE BEFORE I GO was supposedly originally written for Ann Margret's closing number in her show. However, the last stanza of lyrics were added by Peter Allen years later to pay tribute to his companion, Greg. So, it did become autobiographical in the end.

If you have not seen the show, this is Hugh's 11:00 o'clock number where he says goodbye ( Peter was dying from AIDS) but not before he talks about Peter's philosophy in life ( very effectively done)...and then it segues into the colorful I GO TO RIO ( great finale!) to illustrate how he wanted to live!

There were not too many performances of this show when this number did not elicit a pre-finale standing ovation.

Great memories of a wonderful show!

Updated On: 1/7/06 at 10:38 PM

mad4music
#34re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....
Posted: 1/7/06 at 1:17am

Okay, after a few days after posting this I have taken the advice to just keep listening and I must say I do apologize and take back SOME of my original feelings... as it has been said, the music truly does have to grow on you.

A lot of the songs are "seperating" from eachother now... I am appreciating them more and more every time I listen.

While I still must say it is not quite my favorite musical score... I will say that I do enjoy it now!

However, I still stand strong that Stephanie is the strongest on the entire CD... obviously I never saw the show and can't make a 'true' judgement on them... but in my book Jackmans got NOTHING on Steph! ....only wish I could hear more of her!

And I am now wishing SO BAD I coulda seen it live! All the fabulous memories some of you have of the show were great to read about.

Thanx 4 the posts!

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#35re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....
Posted: 1/7/06 at 1:23am

Does anyone remember Bette at the Tribute for Peter Allen and she sang "Tenterfield Saddler" and throws the lyrics away then forgets them? It was so funny, And Bette lost it - explaining and laughing and said "Peter would love it!"

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#36re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....
Posted: 1/7/06 at 10:50am

i saw the show and had a really good time. I adore Stephanie J Block, she is just so talented.

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.

Copeman63 Profile Photo
Copeman63
#37re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....
Posted: 1/7/06 at 11:44am

I often catch myself singing along the lyrics to "I Go To Rio" when "I Honestlly Love You" is on my iPod... They just sound so alike!

If Lincoln were alive today, do you think he'd be pleased with his tunnel?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#38re: Boy From Oz... uh.... speechless....
Posted: 1/7/06 at 12:34pm

I enjoyed the show very much, but I'm just not a big fan of the music to begin with. I think I've listened to the CD a total of 4 times since I got it over two years ago.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Videos