pixeltracker

Hotel Suggestions for Theater District- Page 2

Hotel Suggestions for Theater District

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#25re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 4:01pm

Glinda,

The reason I stay in the "heart" (if you really consider 43rd and 8th to be the "heart") of the theatre district is because it's my favorite hotel. I've stayed elsewhere, the three top runner-ups would be the Hyatt at Grand Central, W The Tuscany, W The Court. Location only accounts for one reason I choose a hotel.

The Westin for example is geared towards a younger crowd. Since I'm 20, that's important to me. The amenities feel very urban. Each guestroom is tastefully appointed with decor that is true to the city. The Heavenly Beds are incredibly comfortable, second to none. It also helps that during each stay I've been treated like royalty. Finally, Starwood is an exceptional company with a great rewards program.

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05
Updated On: 1/26/06 at 04:01 PM

erinrebecca
#26re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 5:02pm

My family always stays at either the Michelangelo or the Renaissance. Both are beautiful hotels but they're pricey so if your budget isn't a generous one, chances are you won't want either of those. To be right in the theatre district with a decent but not on the same level as those two, I'd say the Edison is your best choice. Great location, clean rooms, great coffee shop and inexpensive. Despite what others have said, the Milford is a dump and is very poorly run. The rooms are old, could stand a decent cleaning, VERY small (even for the city), the elevators are claustrophobic, as are the hallways, and everyone I know who's stayed there has complained about the noise. The place is always full of tourist groups, lots of school trips, and getting a good night's sleep is difficult. Go with the Edison if you want cheap but good.
Updated On: 1/26/06 at 05:02 PM

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#27re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 5:09pm

I second the Milford Plaza...we seriously walked out the door and Ave Q was there! and at the time Brooklyn...(so whatever is there now..) and we were so close to all the other shows...fantastic.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

downtoearth
#28re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 6:06pm

Glinda2 is 100% right. For a hotel (and for outtings other than theater), your best bet is to stay away from midtown Manhattan. Find a hotel on the east or west side somewhere above 59th st., or below...hmm...20th or so. Downtown will have a more thriving nightlife; uptown has things to offer, but will be quieter and with nice views and proximity to Central Park.

starletta8
#29re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 7:08pm

Midtown, particularly the Theater District, is a zoo 24 hours a day. Unless you want to stay in the middle of the bedlam, I'd second the suggestions for places out of Times Square.

If you're absolutely set on staying near the Theater District, I recommend the Hilton on 53rd/6th (I think). I stayed there before moving out here, and loved it. I've also had family stay there and be happy. Some rooms are Central Park view.

I've also stayed at the Grand Hyatt on 42nd. It's very convenient- there's an entrance to Grand Central from the hotel lobby. To Times Square, it's literally a straight shot on either the 7 or the Shuttle.

I'm also a fan of the W Hotel near Union Square- a very different vibe than midtown, yet very close to mass transit.

Of course, it's not like I stay in NYC hotels anyway... but my $0.02.

Overthemoon6 Profile Photo
Overthemoon6
#30re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 7:55pm

Well, the first time I went with my mom, who was able to get a great room at the W, but that's a very expensive hotel. The second time, I stayed in a Marriot right near Times Square that was near enough to the theater district, but a lot quieter.

And then, do you know Monseiur Marius, I believe I was a little in love with you.
♥♥♥

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#32re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 8:36pm

I'd have to suggest Milford Plaza. It's got a great location the rooms are clean and close to almost everything!

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#33re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/26/06 at 11:50pm

I enjoy the Belveder on 48th and 8th Ave

actormcfamous
#34re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/27/06 at 12:18am

My suggestion is the Hotel QT - it's on 45th between 6th and 7th, half a block from Times Square right next to the Lyceum Theater. It's a modern, "hip" boutique hotel and is a lot of fun. Best thing about it is that it opened last April, so it's cheap (but the staff is friendly and the hotel is great). We stayed there for $99/night over Thanksgiving (that's DIRT cheap for then). It's far enough off the "main drags" that it's quite, but we were 5 minutes away from Avenue Q and DRS, under 10 from Wicked.

jem2 Profile Photo
jem2
#35re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/27/06 at 7:20am

I suggest the Milford Plaza also. I just stayed there last week and it could not have been more convenient. It was clean and comfortable. Our room was a little small but fine. It was slightly shabby but clean. I did see some of my friend's room s and they had been refurbished. Good rates can be found, shop around. The Milford Plaza site offers good rates but you can sometimes do better on Expedia or Hotels.com.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

peach
#36re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/27/06 at 12:51pm

In addition to the Westin Times Square (which is great) the W hotels are all very nice. Pricier, but I use Starwood points sometimes to offset to cost.

wicked_mimi
#37re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/27/06 at 1:07pm

The Marquis is just amazing... minus the elevators at theater time... then you just want to die! Another great hotel is the Sheraton Manhattan on 51st. It is right down the block from Mamma Mia, Wicked, Hairspray, and Jersey Boys.

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#38re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/27/06 at 4:07pm

me too Peach :)

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

#39re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/27/06 at 5:30pm

I've walked into the lobby of the Milford Plaza to use the ATM machine, and there's just a feeling of decay about the hotel. However, if you say the rooms are okay and clean, it must be so. That block, however, is ugly and extremely congested.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#40re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/27/06 at 9:15pm

One of the closest is the Marriot Marquis, 45th and Broadway. It's right in the heart and the views are amazing.

Also try considering things away from Times Square. There are some great places by Central Park that are decently priced.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

kyguy78 Profile Photo
kyguy78
#41re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/28/06 at 9:39am

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions. My wife has been on the internet this morning looking at different hotels everyone has suggested.

Just curious though, is there a reason it's not good to stay in TImes Square? I was just looking in the theater district simply because it was close to the shows where we'd be spending most of our nights.

YankeeGal#24 Profile Photo
YankeeGal#24
#42re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/28/06 at 9:53am

I love Times Square, but not everyone likes staying there. It's always crowded, bright, and busy (the part I happen to love)so you just have to decide if you want a place a bit away from all that energy or be in the midst of it.

An aside on the Marriott Marquis--have stayed there at least a half dozen times, and the elevators are a nightmare, not just at theater time.

"You ask four guys, you get four different versions" ~ Tommy DeVito, Jersey Boys

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#43re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/28/06 at 10:10am

The Muse!! It is just off of TImes Square, so it is not noisy. The beds are the comfiest you will ever sleep on in your life, and the staff is so caring and friendly.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

broadway4me
#44re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/28/06 at 5:32pm

Yes, the elevators at the Marriott are a nightmare! My favorite place to stay in Times Square is the Westin. Very nice, great beds and close to everything! I've stayed both in and out of Times Square and have found the rooms at the Westin to be very quiet. If you are going to shows and it's your first time in NYC, then I say yes, stay in Times Square. You'll be close to everything, and I LOVE the energy there. Have a great trip!

#45re: Hotel Suggestions for Theater District
Posted: 1/28/06 at 5:51pm

try the Double Tree Suites in Times Square. They are really nice, and not too expensive.

Videos