pixeltracker

The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, February 19, 2006- Page 2

The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, February 19, 2006

COOOOLkid
#25re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:13pm

This sucks... Will Women in White be able to tour?

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

jo
#26re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:14pm

It is very, very sad news!

But I am glad that I had seen the show several times, both in London and on Broadway! I think it is excellent theatre - dramatic storyline, beautiful musical score, innovative sets, and great performances by the cast!

Here's wishing the cast ( who gave us so much) excellent prospects in their career! They are all very talented and are real troupers - Thank you, Good luck, and best regards always!

Thank you, too, to Andrew Lloyd Webber!

Jo

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#27re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:16pm

This is such sad news. I saw this show in London and just purchased a TDF ticket for this Wednesday. Good luck to the cast and crew!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#28re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:16pm

popcultureboy,
I had not read last weeks figures. But I did read that article in variety on how it is the only show whos box office did not benefit from the movie. The fact that this winter has not been so brutal might give them another year. I do wish they would close it while it was still making money. The St James is very much in demand. Billy Eliott would play beautifully there. I do think the Marquise is way too big for "Chaperone" and it would be a mistake.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#29re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:19pm

Yeah the movie flopped big time and did nothing for the show. At all. So that may end up curtailing their run. Who knows? And at one time, the producers of Drowsy Chaperone wanted the Hilton, so they clearly have no concept.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#30re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:21pm

Though I hadn't seen this show, I was kind of looking forward to how Judy Kuhn would do.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#31re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:24pm

I don't know why. She has a gorgeous voice but I have always found Judy Kuhn very dull.

inla2
#32re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:28pm

The Drowsy Chaperone was at the Ahmanson Theater (configured to just over 1600 seats for the show) and played beautifully. I think the producers DO have a concept.

starletta8
#33re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:29pm

Wow.

Like everyone else said, it's suprising that this happened so fast, but we all saw the writing on the wall.

A friend got tickets to one of the upcoming shows. I'm glad I'll get to see it before it closes.

One has to wonder if things would've been different if the cast had stayed healthy- it may have lasted until Tony time.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#34re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:35pm

inla2,
Thats where I saw it. And everyone agreed ( including the producers) that the show needs a smaller theater. I went the night they had a Q & A after the show.

Kevinoes Profile Photo
Kevinoes
#35re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:35pm

It's official. ALW name is nothing to marketers now.

Of all things, I feel bad for the cast being out of jobs. Including fellow Canadian Adam Brazier.

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#36re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:37pm

Wow, what a surprise.

I wasn't a big fan of the show, but I didn't expect it to close so suddenly.

popcultureboy
#37re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:37pm

Which would then explain why the decided not to go with the 200 seats bigger Hilton, wouldn't it Dame?

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#38re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:40pm

I'll join the people who were expecting Andrew Lloyd-Webber to push the show through Tony season. Wow.

Hmmm. Time for us to re-think our Tony Award nomination ideas, meethinks...

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

astonishing1985 Profile Photo
astonishing1985
#39re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:42pm

I haven't seen it yet re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
I wanted to see Judy Kuhn, I was so excited when I heard she would be in it!
And this is very sudden! I was shocked when I saw this

Hartt School class of 2010 ;-)

markrolly
#40re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:43pm

I saw DROWSY CHAPERONE in LA too. The Ahmanson is 2400 seats, and the Marquis about 1500. Unless my math is wrong, I would say 900 less seats qualifies the Marquis as a smaller theater, wouldn't you?

#41re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:44pm

I am surprised it didn't hang around till Tony time. I thought Mr. Webber might pump more money into it. I liked the show. Feel bad for the talented cast. I hope the glorious Maria Friedman graces our stages again. She's so wonderful and what a trouper. I wish her all the best.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#42re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:44pm

"Hmmm. Time for us to re-think our Tony Award nomination ideas, meethinks... "

I don't think so at all. If Maria or anyone else in the company deserves to be nominated, it will not be prevented because they closed early. Nominations are nominations no matter how short your run was...they were still part of the 2005-2006 broadway season.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

popcultureboy
#43re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:45pm

The Ahmanson was somehow reconfigured, according to inla2, down to 1600. So it's about the same size. And apparently at the Q & A, the producers said they think the show needs a smaller venue. But it'll probably end up in the Marquis.

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#44re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:45pm

Which would be weirdly ironic for Sutton Foster. re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

alli2
#45re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:47pm

wow, i didn't see this coming. i really liked this show... oh well, let's see what's next to go!

Doogie Profile Photo
Doogie
#46re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:48pm

I didn't really enjoy the show itself, but it could have ben marketed much better. There was NEVER a story I saw about Webber and WiW.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#47re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:48pm

Popculture;
Something along the lines of the ROYALE ( if it is still named that) would be perfect for Chaperone.

Updated On: 2/3/06 at 08:48 PM

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#48re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:52pm

I think it's cheesy to blame the closing on all the illnesess in the cast. I saw it with the full company and absolutely hated it, as did my partner. If ALW had any class he would've just closed it quietly and not placed blame anywhere

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#49re: The Woman in White to Play Final Broadway Performance on Sunday, Februa
Posted: 2/3/06 at 8:54pm

Hushpuppy you are 200% right. I was just trying to be respectful of all the fanatics that swear by this show. But since you brought it up.. yes.. the show is garbage.

Videos