pixeltracker

Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!- Page 2

Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#25re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 8:00pm

Yeah, thats the thing about these John Doyle productions. I mean the cast of SWEENEY put extreme pressure on themselves not to miss even when sick because the entire show has to be reconfigured for the understudies. Scary!

I wonder if LuPone won't take over Joanne...

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#26re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 8:06pm

To be honest, I had actually forgot that ST has been on Broadway since October! I completely lost track of time! lol With that said, I could see how it would close to not wear out the Doyle style.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

ihearttheatre
#27re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 8:28pm

I'm SO excited for this. re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!

Necromancer07707 Profile Photo
Necromancer07707
#28re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 8:33pm

Like many others, I don't know if this will translate well onto a proscenium stage. Furthermore, I'm afraid it will be criticized for being too similar in conventions to SWEENEY. So much is remarkably similar (yet, I'd dare say, better).

"I am ready to disclaim my opinion, even of yesterday, even of 10 minutes ago, because all opinions are relative. One lives in a field of influences, one is influenced by everyone one meets, everything is an exchange of influences, all opinions are derivative. Once you deal a new deck of cards, you've got a new deck of cards." — Peter Brook

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#29re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 8:33pm

To un-rain on the parade, TONY. If he doesn't win, something is very wrong.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

luvtheEmcee
#30re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 8:35pm

The title of the BWW article is worded oddly, and makes it sound like they've already got Raúl. But they don't mention in the article if he's coming with it or now.

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#31re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 8:49pm

Yeah haha, I thought that was interesting that they mentioned his name but not if he was going to be in the production again.

Cages or Wings
#32re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 8:53pm

I have to agree with em.

I saw this in Cinci last weekend and never got around to writing a review, but the way this production is staged, particularly how it uses the thrust stage's depth (hard to explain), I feel it will lose something in the move. That said I think that the whole cast is wonderful (even Barbara), and am extremely excited to hear this. I feel it won't work as well in NY (again unless circle in the square becomes miraculously available), but will still be great. Most importantly this will likely mean that we get a recording (*knocks on wood*) of Raul's performance. I have never been more blown away by an actor in a part. He was born for this role. Just wait to hear the amazing rendition of Being Alive. Then again how can i not love it when i was in the first row next to Raul playing the piano and singing being alive (less than six feet away). That kind of intimacy brought this show to the next level. I hope it doesnt lose too much of it.

Edit: If he comes, they had better start engraving his Tony now. It is without a doubt a tony winning performance. Updated On: 4/6/06 at 08:53 PM

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#33re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 8:54pm

It would be cool to see COMPANY starring Raul on my Mary Poppins trip.
I want LaChanze to sing ANOTHER HUNDRED PEOPLE too.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

luvtheEmcee
#34re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 8:55pm

Raul's reviews basically mean that the powers that be would be stupid not to pursue him for the transfer. :)

Cages or Wings
#35re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 8:58pm

I actually hope they keep Angel Desai (Marta) from Cinci. I loved her "Another Hundred People"

luvtheEmcee
#36re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 8:59pm

Me too!

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#37re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:02pm

Honestly, based on the reviews it wouldn't surprise me if the transfer were partially contingent on Raul's sticking with the part (unofficially). I agree with everything that's been said about him in this part-- in a word, perfect. I'm excited that more people will be able to see his performance, and it would be great to get a cast recording with him as Robert.

I can sympathize with the concerns about the show losing its intimacy when taken off the thrust stage, but I honestly do think that they'll be able to restructure a little and make it work.

I loved Angel Desai in every part except Another Hundred People (vocally), actually, but she's still very good. Updated On: 4/6/06 at 09:02 PM

C is for Company
#38re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:05pm

I feel so retarded right now, I'm nearly in tears from happiness, I can't believe I'm finally going to get to see this show, see the Doyle production nonetheless which makes me even more excited. AND 3rd time seeing Raul...except I hope that this time my ears don't bleed from the vibrato, I may have to bring earmuffs for "Being Alive" :X oops

luvtheEmcee
#39re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:07pm

Well, that was sweet.

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#40re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:08pm

I really hope I get to see this.

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#41re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:08pm

Will this mean anything for the Philharmonic's planned staging of Company in '07?

Cages or Wings
#42re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:11pm

I would be willing to bet the Philharmonic will change their plans very soon.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#43re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:15pm

No Emcee, darling.

That was true.

He isn't anything to get excited over, I'd rather listen to my voice while hitting my throat to create an "amazing" shking noise.....also known as Raul's voice.

Don't mess with my C!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

luvtheEmcee
#44re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:21pm

Way to jump down my throat. Chill! Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Truth is in the eye of the beholder.

#45re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:28pm

I'm absolutely delighted at this news. I wasn't planning on commenting on this considering I haven't seen it and don't know much about the show at all, but I have heard so many great things about the show, and of course, Raul. I'll be living in NYC by November and am absolutely thrilled that I'll be able to see it. I couldn't tell you the first thing about how the change of stage type might affect the show; all I know is that I feel so lucky that I'll finally have a chance to see this. Here's to getting Raul to make the move!

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#46re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:32pm

Way to jump down my throat. Chill! Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Truth is in the eye of the beholder.

Might I suggest getting glasses?

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Jazzysuite82
#47re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:36pm

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand it's a great idea. On the other hand there was a major revival 10 years ago. I mean if people from the REVIVAL could come back and reprise their roles I think it's a sign that it's a bit early to bring it back. I mean with Les Mis coming back AND this, I just hope this doesn't calcify things. I hope it's not a trend. We need new GOOD things. While this is a great thing generally, I can't help but wish the revival 10 years ago didn't happen. I think it would have more meaning.

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#48re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:37pm

This just made my day. I got back late from school because of our show, and I get to find this! Raul has one of my favorite voices and I've never gotten to see him live. I assume he's a given for the transfer, so I'll finally get to see him live. I hope there will be student rush.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#49re: Doyle's Company to transfer to Broadway!
Posted: 4/6/06 at 9:42pm

Well, like SWEENEY, Jazzy, I don't think anyone was expressly looking to revive COMPANY - it just so happened that there was a production deemed by the powers that be as "worthy."

And a staging like this can't really be compared to the production that the Roundabout did a decade ago. Alot of us (including critics) thought that production didn't do the show justice, actually, so it would be nice to see a first rate production of COMPANY, an in particular one so unique.

Videos