pixeltracker

Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?- Page 2

Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#25re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:27am

Because this is the movies... and if you stand a real 37-year-old next to a 17 year old they look like sisters.

Why do you think in most films going back to the "golden age," the parents of the "youthful leads" are usually old enough to be their grandparents?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#26re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:29am

Than how do you explain Angie Lansbury in MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#27re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 10:43am

Angela was always playing older than she looked. She was a character actress. She played the madame of a whorehouse in "The Harvey Girls" at the age of 20. I think it sealed her fate for years to come. That's why she almost didn't get "Mame" on Broadway. They all thought was was 112 by that point. Until she came in to sing for them.

Beulah Bondi was another one, playing grandmother roles on film at the age of 38. Because of her "look" and her voice.

You've actually made a good point that women are more likely to be cast older on film. Jessie Royce Landis (sp?) played Cary Grant's mother in "North By Northwest," and she was the same age has him.

These are exceptions to the rule, and it usually has to do with "type" of role the actresses play. Catherine is not a character actress. She's one of the most vital, beautiful women on the planet. Not exactly the "matronly mommy type."

And for each one of those "younger" exceptions to the rule, I could give you ten in the other direction...

Take a look at some of the movie stars playing parents with young kids today... in their 50s and 60s.

Updated On: 6/13/06 at 10:43 AM

Michael Bennett
#28re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:30am

All good points, though truthfully, if you were to put Zeta Jones opposite a real 18 or 19 year old, she'd clearly look older. I mean Bernadette Peters who looks 20 years younger up close didn't look "young" opposite Tammy Blanchard - and that was in the space of a large theatre.

I guess my arguement here is that Rose does not need to be "old" or matronly. If CZJ were indeed cast, they would clearly be doing a further exploration of the sexy, vibrant Rose that Peters played on Broadway.

That said, Rose strikes me as the type of woman who actually WOULD try to pass herself off as Louise's "older sister" - it's practically inferred in that final scene.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#29re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:39am

The more I think about it, the more I want to see this.

I think Catherine is pretty terrific.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#30re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:43am

It could definitely work.

I still want Brittany Murphy as Louise, but I've been wanting that for so many years now that it may be too late and I am too biased to see it...

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Michael Bennett
#31re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 11:44am

I also think CZJ has a certain crudeness that would work for the role - she's sexy but you'd believe she could be ruthless and the audience would totally believe Tessie's line about Rose, that she "could've been a stripper" in her day.

AngusN
#32re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:13pm

I just think the whole idea of that pathetic, over-rated woman (CZJ) playing Rose is ridiculous. Maybe becos' I'm British and she is not well liked or respected in our parts(by the majority), either for her talent or the person she has become.

jimmycurry01
#33re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:48pm

Well I don't really care much about the person she has become, how she is as a person or what she does with her personal life has little or no effect on me. But I do think she is very talanted and I am curious as to what she can do with the role. Of course a lot of it depends on the direction too, and I think Rob Marshal could do very well with the material.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#34re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:53pm

Aside from the fact that I think she looks a little young for the part (though nothing makeup can't amend)... I don't know. I'm in the minority in not thinking she was any revelation in Chicago, I guess. She was good, but I didn't think she was all that special. But I guess we're just going to plop her into every movie musical where she might kind of, sort of fit.

This seems like weird casting to me; but I don't care all that much for her anyway. I just don't get the hype, other than that she's beautiful.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 6/13/06 at 12:53 PM

jsand25 Profile Photo
jsand25
#35re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 12:57pm

They have the right idea but wrong film. She should be in a remake of Cabaret as Sally Bowles. Alan Cumming can be the MC, and Hugh Jackman can be Cliff.

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#36re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:05pm

I'm in the camp that thinks Ms. Zeta-Jones is more than perfect for the role.

As far as the age factor, I re-read Gypsy's autobio semi-recently, and if I'm not terribly mistaken, I believe it stated that Rose was 16 when Louise was born, which would make Rose 25-ish at the beginning of the show, if I'm going on the assumption that Louise can be no more than 10 during the kiddie-show nonsense. I also think that I recall that Louise was 15 or 16 when she "began strippin'" which would make Rose only 31 or 32 at that point in the story, and then 40-45 by the end...but then again, that's considering there's any truth to Gypsy's bio.

AND RATH: WOW WOW WOW WOW about Brittany Murphy. LOVE IT!!!!

LostLeander
#37re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:06pm

I actually wouldn't necessarily mind seeing CZJ in the role. She can't shake her accent too well, though, and that has always kind of bothered me.

So, if she worked on that? Maybe?
You don't need to be an amazing singer for Rose, either.

I question why they're remaking Gypsy, though.
I think as a film it would look dated, and wouldn't appeal to the masses.

I'd see it though. They could have fun casting the strippers though.

But I feel like Queen Latifah would be one of them. Ugh.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#38re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:10pm

<-------------------- Mazeppa!

EDIT: And Melanie Griffith as Tessie Tura. WooHoo!!! Updated On: 6/13/06 at 01:10 PM

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#39re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:13pm

Why do we need to remake things that have been done before when there are so many wonderful musicals still in need of film treatment. RAGTIME is one that springs to mind.

However, in reference to Catherine Zeta-Jones, why not KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN!?!?!? She would be beautiful in some of those scenes and it's a role she could tear up!

So, again, I say let's make movie musicals from some new sources and leave things that have been done well before alone! (Tell me a new FIDDLER, I say WHY! - but, tell me a new MAME and I say YAY!)

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#40re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 1:17pm

Wow. I think this is an awesome idea. I would LOVE to see Sam Mendes do it though. I Catherine Zeta Jones has what it takes deep inside of her. I dont want to get too excited but I love this idea!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#41re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 3:40pm

If Hollywood actresses, like Catherine Zeta-Jones, stopped having their faces stretched back every other week, maybe they could start playing characters their own age. Until then, we have plenty of real women who aren't ashamed of their age, women with 10 times more talent than these implanted, surgically enhanced porcelain dolls, willing, strong, proud and ready to play WOMEN their own age.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

TheatreDiva612 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva612
#42re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:07pm

I love catherine zeta-jones and all, but......

ThreePennyJennyxo Profile Photo
ThreePennyJennyxo
#43re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:25pm

OMG!!!! CATHERINE IS MY IDOL! IM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS! YES!!! NOW IM REALLY HAPPY THIS MADE MY DAY! hahaa!

ThreePenny Opera will always be in the hearts of many fans <3

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#44re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:37pm

Playbill.com posted something about it. I love it!

Heartless_Warrior
#45re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:53pm

Wow, sounds cool. Can't wait to see it

FoscasBohemianDream
#46re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:34pm

As someone stated earlier, the real live Rose was much younger than the actresses who usually play her. There was a production in Texas that cast Andrea McArdle as Mamma Rose, and many people said it worked to see a different spin to the role.
I personally believe Catherine Z. Jones would embody Rose seamlessly, she'd play the sexual side like Peters did, but she'd also be a larger-than-life, brutal woman. The only thing that would scare me is that she'd play it too much like Velma, because she pretty much played velma as sexually ruthless. I trust Marshall's direction though.
In the Sweeney thread I said I'd like Anne Hathaway as Johanna, but I actually would much prefer to see Hathaway as Louise, and she could pass as Catherine Z. Jones' mother, I wonder who they would cast as June, and imagine all the cameo possibilities they have for "You Gotta Get A Gimmick."

#47re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:24pm

Madonna for any of the strippers! re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?

matiboi Profile Photo
matiboi
#48re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:36pm

Anne Hathaway would be a great choice for Louise . . . part of me really wants Glenn Close as one of the strippers, but I'm not sure which . . . Electra maybe.

actormcfamous
#49re: Catherine Zeta-Jones in new film of Gypsy?
Posted: 6/13/06 at 7:46pm

They have the right idea but wrong film. She should be in a remake of Cabaret as Sally Bowles. Alan Cumming can be the MC, and Hugh Jackman can be Cliff.

Agreed much.

Though I'd love to see CZJ as Rose as well.

Videos