pixeltracker

Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'- Page 2

Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#25re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/29/06 at 8:22pm

Most of these songs would NEVER work on the radio. Period.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Go2The80's-radness Profile Photo
Go2The80's-radness
#26re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/29/06 at 8:35pm

my friend who dosnt know squat about musicals turned on my I-Pod. i was listening to D.R.S.
The last half of the sing Great Big Stuff was on.
after the song was over, she asked me who the band Dirty Rotten Scoundrels were.

so maybe that could pass as a non-show tune but maybe not!

Hey Homie-G Dont make me *b.y.b Or else I'll just be me And You will see that you will flee -That is Me and one of my best friend Mandi's hit song "Homie-G" *b.y.b means bust your butt*

Becky2 Profile Photo
Becky2
#27re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/29/06 at 9:13pm

All I Ask of You from POTO might work. At least, they sort of released it as a promotional single along with a couple of other songs before the show opened.

iHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
#28re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/29/06 at 9:48pm

THere are a few songs from L5Y that might work, my mother hates showtunes and she actually got through the whole of that cast recording and actually liked a few of the songs (namely "Goodbye Until Tomorrow" and "The Next Ten Minutes") so maybe try some of those.

"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#29re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/29/06 at 9:49pm

Lot's of stuff from the Jersey Boys CD.

There's also disco Sweeney...(seriously, back in the early 80's--red disc and all!)

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

bwayboi4life42 Profile Photo
bwayboi4life42
#30re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/29/06 at 10:53pm

Well, obviously lots of stuff from the Jersey Boys CD, since all of those songs were made famous by the Four Seasons a really long time ago and are still played on the radio a lot today.

And, besides, they are not showtunes.

"I believe that art does not exist only to entertain, but also to challenge one to think, to provoke, even to disturb, to engage in a constant search for the truth." - Barbra Streisand
Updated On: 7/29/06 at 10:53 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#31re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/29/06 at 11:28pm

I was listening to "One Song Glory" from Rent and, my sister said "what band is that?'
Updated On: 7/29/06 at 11:28 PM

brdwybound2 Profile Photo
brdwybound2
#32re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 3:08am

Haha I'm pretty sure this doesn't count, but I heard Billy Joel's Movin' Out on the radio the other day, and then I went and listened to the soundtrack when I got home. So I guess it wasn't technically from the musical since the song came out a really long time ago, but it IS from a musical. And I guess that would apply to some other shows derived from bands and songs.

somebody hold me too close...

froggy2
#33re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 3:24am

Aida - Easy As Life, Elaborate Lives, Written in the Stars

DRS - Love Is My Legs (heh.)

Hairspray - I Know Where I've Been

I could totally hear "Maybe I Like It This Way" from The Wild Party resung in a laid-back, Norah Jones sort of style.

I agree with whoever suggested "As Long As You're Mine" from Wicked. And "I'm Not That Girl".

Ooh, and also, "Once Upon A Time".

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#34re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 3:34am

RENT is hardly sophisticated. And don't most songs have some kind of plot, or atleast involve story?

(Besides country ballads.)

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#35re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 4:19am

Following up on All I ask of You, they also released Phantom of the Opera, Wishing you were somehow here again and Music of the Night.

The Videos are on the phantom dvd.

Sant
#36re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 6:12am

"Cold" - WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND
"Try Not To Be Afraid" - WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND
"All That Jazz" - CHICAGO
"I Know Him So Well" - CHESS
"One Night In Bangkok" - CHESS
"There's A Fine, Fine Line" - AVENUE Q
"Our Kind Of Love" - THE BEAUTIFUL GAME
"Another Suitcase In Another Hall" - EVITA

bwayboi4life42 Profile Photo
bwayboi4life42
#37re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 11:58am

Barbra Streisand also recorded "All I Ask of You" as a solo. I liked it, but it was still very show-tuney.

"I believe that art does not exist only to entertain, but also to challenge one to think, to provoke, even to disturb, to engage in a constant search for the truth." - Barbra Streisand

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#38re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 1:16pm

Let me make a wild guess and say all the songs from Mamma Mia!

"One Night In Bangkok" - CHESS did get a lot of radio play.

Reworked show tunes were a staple of the pop charts until the middle of the 70s. This may deserve its own thread, but what is the last show tune (written original for the stage) that made it into the top 40?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#39re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 1:18pm

All That Jazz? I'd think that's very showtune-y. You see that on every one of those generic "Broadway Hits" CDs.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

anthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photo
anthonycbaron@mac.co
#40re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 1:40pm

Memory and Written in the Stars I could both see working in a non-showtune sense.

Mattbrain
#41re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 2:06pm

Bunch of songs from Aida, Wicked, Bright Lights, Big City, Brooklyn, Lestat (there's some good songs in there!) and Rent.

Obviously every song from every jukebox musical that's ever graced the Broadway stage or West End if you're We Will Rock You.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Mattbrain
#42re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 2:25pm

Let's not forget Godspell, Hair, and Smokey Joe's Cafe.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

#43re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 2:31pm

There's a lot of songs from Rent and The Wedding Singer that could pass as non-show tunes. Not to mention that Phil Collins had a hit with "You'll Be In My Heart" before Tarzan came to broadway.

Jesus
#44re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 2:33pm

Or Jesus Christ Superstar. The song of the same name, as well as several others in the show all had huge radio appeal when it was first released way back in '69. I could see it doing well today with the right sound, the 1992 Aussie release maybe.

millie_dillmount
#45re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 2:33pm

Isn't Smokey Joe's Cafe a revue though?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

BSoBW2
#46re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 2:34pm

My roommate once heard RENT, without knowing it beforehand, and knew the songs were showtunes and not "actual" rock songs.

THE FEELING WE ONCE HAD from THE WIZ, I think, would work well.

And you have SHE TOUCHED ME from DRAT, THE CAT - which Babs made famous before the show came out, anyway.

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#47re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 2:54pm

"You Can't Stop The Beat" from Hairspray minus the dialogue

NathanLaneStalker
#48re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 2:59pm

You Can't Win - The Wiz

Under Separet Covers - A Class Act

Saturday Night in the City - TWS

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

millie_dillmount
#49re: Songs That Could Pass For 'Non-Show Tunes'
Posted: 7/30/06 at 3:08pm

Ah! No. You Can't Stop the Beat would NOT work as a non showtune.

Videos