Hugh Jackman : Carousel

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#25re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 5:08pm

I loved the revival of this show in 1994. You also have to remember that Hugh Jackman appeared in a concert version of this show at Carnegie Hall with Audra McDonald as Julie Jordan.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#26re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 5:23pm

I fear to think who they will cast as Julie.

DottieD'Luscia
#27re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 5:24pm

Kelli O'Hara would be perfect.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#28re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 5:46pm

In the right hands (i.e. Hytner) it could be fantastic.

RightAmerica
#29re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 8:20pm

As long as Hytner takes a more traditional approach to the casting of the show rather than the historically and genetically improbable one he took for the revival.

Revive the shows of GEORGE M. COHAN!!!

Luvinbroadway Profile Photo
Luvinbroadway
#30re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 8:25pm

Yummy!

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#31re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 8:27pm

I cannot see this movie being succesful in today's market. Granted, I'm biased because I hate Carousel. However, while I'm sure the movie itself will be very good, and Hugh Jackman is amazing, I don't see it working today. Not in Hollywood.

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#32re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 9:11pm

Not sure Hollywood is getting it right, this time. He is way too old for that role, imo. Being a stupid kid, making stupid mistakes is one thing. Pushing 40 is pushing the limits of credibility for me. Then, the character just becomes an a-hole.

Flahooley Profile Photo
Flahooley
#33re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 9:17pm

I look forward to it. I hope Hynter adapts his brilliant stage production for the screen, racially mixed casting intact.

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#34re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 9:23pm

I hated Carousel until I saw the Hytner version.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

DottieD'Luscia
#35re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 9:25pm

I saw the Hytner version 3x on Broadway and the tour which feature Patrick Wilson as Billy Bigelow and Sarah Uriarte Berry as Julie Jordan. Sarah was absolutely amazing. What an actress (and a singer). Loved her!

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#36re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 9:26pm

I saw it only once on Broadway and once in L.A. at the Music Center. Might I have seen SUB?

DottieD'Luscia
#37re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 9:55pm

Glebb, if that was the Hytner production, then yes, you saw SUB. A friend of mine was in the cast. I remember Joseph Woelfel as the Fairground Boy. Amazing dancer, and extremely easy on the eyes!!

On a side note: future Broadway Glinda, Jennifer Laura Thompson was on the tour of the show. She might have understudied the role of Julie.

Updated On: 8/2/06 at 09:55 PM

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#38re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/2/06 at 9:59pm

Very cool.
I'm lucky to have seen Sally Murphy and Sarah Uriarte Berry.

Fan2
#39re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/4/06 at 1:32pm

Here's the NY Times review from the 2002 Carnegie Hall concert:

http://tinyurl.com/nn6lk

>> Certain people, no matter what their size, seem to turn into giants when they set foot onstage. The Australian actor Hugh Jackman, as it happens, is a tall man. But that doesn't account for his towering presence on Thursday night at Carnegie Hall. It's not that Mr. Jackman, a fledgling movie star ('Kate and Leopold,' 'X-Men'), is larger than life. It's that he makes real life look large.

This fine alchemy was a distinct asset in the stirring concert presentation of 'Carousel,' a one-night benefit for Carnegie Hall. Mr. Jackman, a vibrant Curly in the recent London revival of 'Oklahoma!,' can switch on an embattled air of virility that, combined with his conversational way with a song, makes him a natural for the hardy heroes of Rodgers and Hammerstein.<<

latheatrelover
#40re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/5/06 at 12:49am

I like Jackman and I enjoy his singing but is his voice deep enough for some of the songs from Carousel, particularly "Soliloquy"? Updated On: 8/5/06 at 12:49 AM

Blair
#41re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/5/06 at 1:14am

I adore Carousel, and would LOVE to see Anne Hathaway as Julie Jordan.
Updated On: 8/5/06 at 01:14 AM

Fan2
#42re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/5/06 at 9:32am

Hugh is on the cover of September's Premiere magazine and the article talks about his upcoming projects, and in the first paragraph it says that while filming The Prestige, he and Scarlett Johannson (one of his co-stars) went to dinner at the Ivy in London with friends, one of which being Harvey Weinstein. They started singing songs from Oklahoma, Guys & Dolls and Carousel (she taught him a few songs from Damn Yankees). Scarlett was quoted as imitating Weinstein said they sang for two hours and "never got dessert."

I think Scarlett may be in one of these movie musicals that Hugh has coming up.

jo
#43re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/10/06 at 10:26am

True - there are so many film projects linked to Hugh's name, it is almost incredible. But it doesn't seem he has really forgotten Broadway.

I was in Sydney for the TBFO arena version and was lucky to catch him close to the stagedoor. I had a chance to ask him a question --

"Is there a chance you might be back on Broadway maybe next year?"

"There is a chance - I'm actually looking into it"

Hope something positive for Broadway comes out of his plans. Maybe he was referring to the 2007-2008 season ? Although I doubt that he can commit to a year's run, the way his film projects are lining up.

Also, if CAROUSEL is going to be a joint project with his producing company SEED PRODUCTIONS ( whose first project will start filming right after TBFO, in New York with himself and Ewan McGregor co-starring in THE TOURIST), then maybe the remake of CAROUSEL will push through sooner than much later. And wasn't it the Richard Rodgers Organization which chose him to sing the role of Billy in the Rodgers Centennial celebration concert of Carousel at Carnegie Hall? If he has the financial backer ( Fox) and the artistic support ( Rodgers Organization) then this project could get off the ground fast. It could even be a smaller but darker version?

Jo

Updated On: 8/10/06 at 10:26 AM

Lori2 Profile Photo
Lori2
#44re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/10/06 at 1:07pm

I would love to see him in thatre: Hugh Jackman : Carousel He is a good actor and hot haha!

http://www.myspace.com/jrobertspencer
Can you keep the cup from tipping Can you keep the grip from slipping In despair, for just another day ~Next To Normal

keatonbynumbers Profile Photo
keatonbynumbers
#45re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/10/06 at 1:23pm

I think Hugh would be amazing, but I'm truly baffled as to why they're suddenly thinking about remaking this.

And if Scarlett Johannsen is involved, I have a feeling I'll really dislike it. I can't help it, she really bothers me. Which is sad, considering what a soft spot I have for CAROUSEL.

jo
#46re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/10/06 at 5:19pm

Scarlett does exhude a different image ... nothing like Julie Jordan re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel... Although I wouldn't mind if they recreated a more feisty Julie for this movie( look at what Trevor Nunn did with the character of Laurey in OKLAHOMA! in the Royal National Theatre's filmed revival of the show, also with Hugh).

But Scarlett must be an excellent singer - didn't Andrew Lloyd Webber confirm that he was very impressed with her when she auditioned and was immediately offered the role of Maria ( for the stage revival of SOUND OF MUSIC)... and the reason why they are now holding a BBC show looking for "Maria" has nothing to do with Scarlett's vocal qualifications?

She is also a fairly good actress and has received Oscar nominations for her work.

I haven't seen SCOOP but if they have excellent chemistry - why not? I am looking forward to their next movie team-up in the thriller THE PRESTIGE.

I bet they would be great at the box office - which is what a movie musical needs ( other than being well-cast and well-made).

Updated On: 8/10/06 at 05:19 PM

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#47re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/11/06 at 6:35pm

Scarlett has never recieved an Oscar nomination.

But, I do tink she can work as Julie. My first choice is Rachel MacAdams, though they would have to find someone to sing for her, enter Kelli O'Hara!

jo
#48re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/11/06 at 6:55pm

Sorry, I must have confused it with the Golden Globes -where she has been nominated several times.

Fan2
#49re: Hugh Jackman : Carousel
Posted: 8/11/06 at 8:14pm

>>>Scarlett does exhude a different image ... nothing like Julie Jordan<<

I don't know.. I only saw the movie Carousel with Shirley Jones - I think there's a resemblance there (probably because of the blonde hair). I would love to know how Scarlett sings - she did just do a CD with other stars called "Unexpected Dreams: Songs From the Stars" and she "sings the classic George Gershwin song Summertime."

Videos