pixeltracker

Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?- Page 2

Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?

joanna2
#25re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 9:58pm

Agreed! Drew is just pretty damn amazing no matter what he does.

broadwaybound882
#26re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 9:58pm

oops! Must've screwed up. Thanks for the correction, joanna!

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#27re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 10:13pm

My favorites are:

Original Concept Recording (The one that started it all)
1992 Australian Recording (Judas kicks serious ass in this version and there is NO better Jesus)
1996 London Revival Recording (I think this is my fav. out of the three)

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

rosem7391 Profile Photo
rosem7391
#28re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/9/06 at 12:00am

Ahhhh I thought it was amazing at NSMT!
Nicholas is....quite beautiful.

Concpet recording concept recording concept recording.

Jesus
#29re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/9/06 at 12:32am

As much as I love the Concept Album, the 1973 film soundtrack is my favorite recording. With Carl Anderson's Judas and Ted Neeley's rendition of Gethsemane...well it doesn't get any better.

The 1992 Aussi album is fantastic, but I only recommend it to people who already have a few recordings, because it differes so much from the original sound.

beuk-et-moi
#30re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/9/06 at 6:06am

There are 3 versions i totally love that are 2 who are off mainstream and for exceptional different in the good way the Australian cast of 1992 and the best ever sung accapella version of "I don't know how to love him" the Dutch 2006 tour version.

And for the more mainstream version, without a doubt the 1996 London cast with the superb Steve Balsamo as Jesus Christ.
Just look on the net in y*u t*be for proof by typing Steve Balsamo, this guy has a range and intensity in "Gethsemane" that even tops Ted's version
Updated On: 10/9/06 at 06:06 AM

RICRoyal2010 Profile Photo
RICRoyal2010
#31re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:56pm

I played Judas this past spring and I found my favorite recording was with Jerome Pradon as Judas. I felt like his performance came through on the recording. Get the movie if you can, it's equally as amazing.

"I'm that one in a million chance when the director says 'you', the small town boy who makes it big, the one that little children and grown men and women will adore, I'm that shot in the dark everyone talks about, you may not know my name yet, but you will, everyone will, someday."- Me

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#32re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:59pm

I would also go for the 1996 London Revival with Steve Balsamo. Not only does it have a superb cast, but also the orchestrations are much better than the concept album.

peach
#33re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/9/06 at 1:59pm

Ditto the 1970 concept recording.
The movie is pretty good too,
And definitely the London recordings.

LouieLovesTheater Profile Photo
LouieLovesTheater
#34re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/9/06 at 2:23pm

I'm totally jumping on the Australian Cast bandwagon. Kate Ceberano's Mary is phenomenal. I love the updated orchestrations (not for JCS purists though!) and appreciate that they didn't try to copy anyone else.

The Mexican Cast from 2001 has the updated orchestrations and some great voices. Superstar is truly a highlight here with some great Soul Sisters and a strong Judas.

I have some London Highlights version with Clive Rowe as Judas...he's a good Judas as well.

The German version (in English) with Anna Montanaro as Mary has some good stuff to it too.

Wish they had "officially" recorded the Nyack production with Emily Skinner and Billy Porter.

I did NOT care for the newest movie version recording. Jerome sang the whole thing through his nose.

The recording with Balsamo and Zubin Varla is also pretty strong...supervised by ALW himself.

Yvonne Elliman's voice was SOOOO 70's but I totally love it. She brings a total haunting quality to pretty much everything in the show. While that style of voice/singing is not what we are used to today...she's still one of the best Mary's on record.

AugustBurns2 Profile Photo
AugustBurns2
#35re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/9/06 at 2:47pm

I really love the movie soundtrack. The performances and the voices are amazing!

I have a long story relating to this...listening to the JCS movie soundtrack on an 8 track in high shool in the band hall's uniform room (I went to an all boys private school) -- at this was the early 90's and an old 8 track machine was still working!!! Anyway...a guy from a lower class comes in - it was like a hangout area - during his lunch and I playing JCS 8 track. King Herod's Song is playing and he asks me - is this sacreligious? I thought it was funny.

myspace.com/robinsparkles

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#36re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/9/06 at 4:04pm

I find the concept recording pretty untouchable in its energy and authenticity.

The first JCS recording I ever owned was the 20th anniversary recording, which I now find awful on almost eery front -- Clair Moore's Mary Magdalene being the one exception.

The 1996 London Cast (I believe this is referred to as the Lyceum recording, no?) is great, with very strong performances by Steve Balsamo and Zubin Varla, along with the best Simon Zealotes on record.

There was a thread several years ago called Best JCS -- do a search -- it was very informative.

#37re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/9/06 at 4:08pm

I actually really enjoy the movie soundtrack. I don't know if that's frowned upon here, but I find that it's the best combination of singers available. Dennen's Pilate improved from the concept recording, and while I enjoy them both, Anderson's Judas just tops Head's take on the role. Updated On: 10/9/06 at 04:08 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#38re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/9/06 at 5:52pm

along with the best Simon Zealotes on record.

*gasp* blasphemy!!! oh Tony how I love you...

Lenexajones Profile Photo
Lenexajones
#39re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/9/06 at 9:12pm

The only one that I've heard is the film soundtrack. Still have memories of college, listening to it with big headphones on, singing along while typing term papers on an electric typewriter. It was the only way I could get things done. Drove the roommate crazy, but... Funny how certain things bring back sharp memories.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#40re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/9/06 at 9:19pm

Does anyone else enjoy the concept album with the Indigo Girls?
Amy Ray as Jesus and Emily as Mary is simply wonderful.

mustard
#41re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/10/06 at 3:10am

I love the original concept album EXCEPT that Pilate is my favorite and some of his material is not on that album.

JumpJumpJumpSoHigh Profile Photo
JumpJumpJumpSoHigh
#42re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/21/06 at 9:12pm

Totally with you SALLY1112 -- I love the Indigo Girls version of JCS. I'm a little so-so about Emily as Mary, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Amy as Jesus! I only wish I could find the video somewhere....

~JJJ

Dear Ken, I'm in pieces. Why the cold shoulder? Love, Barbie

Videos