pixeltracker

NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!- Page 2

NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#25re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/17/06 at 8:39am

Sweetie, my reference was only to the fact that all you do on here is complain about how much you dislike your job. I didn't pull it out of nowhere.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 12/17/06 at 08:39 AM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#26re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/17/06 at 10:07am

The Limited Roadshow Engagement ends on Sunday December 24th 2006 in all 3 cities: Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York City. No more displays and no more souvenir programs after this.

Starting Monday December 25th 2006 the film is in general release (at regular movie showings and prices).

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#27re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/17/06 at 10:41am

Wanna Be A Foster--Apparently you did pull it "out of nowhere." I took the opportunity to review the almost 600 threads that I've started or responded to and only found a handful where I even mentioned my job. In those threads where I did mention my job, I never once said I disliked it! I may talk about how difficult it can be sometimes and that it doesn't pay a great deal of money, but I do love my job and my community. I tell you what, I'll work on my grammar ("you're" instead of "your") if you will check your facts before you make statements on the board that are blatantly false. Apologies to everyone else for thread-jacking.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#28re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/17/06 at 11:08am

What are they supposed to play? SIDESHOW?

I understand the idea behind DREAMGIRLS' enthusiasts not wanting the film to be "spoiled" - but this truly is one of the silliest threads on bww in a long time. If it bothers you so much that they are playing music from the movie - don't go into the theatre half an hour early - its reserved seating.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#29re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/17/06 at 3:05pm

I thought there was going to be something more to the pre-'SHOW' that just hearing the soundtrack.

Hell if I'm paying $25.00 just for that.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#30re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/17/06 at 3:09pm

I personally wouldn't mind listening to Sideshow.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#31re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/17/06 at 3:12pm

I understand this to a point that I think doesn't apply to this particular situation. I've said on this board before that CAROLINE OR CHANGE's Tony performance of Lot's Wife made the song/moment very anti-climactic for those of us who saw the show after the Tonys.

However, I'm guessing the only people complaining about this particular situation already know the score (no pun intended). So what's the big deal?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

#32re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/17/06 at 5:16pm

I don't see why it's so silly a complaint...why not just play some generic background music, elevator music or something. Or Beyonce's new album! Hehehe...

Wildcard
#33re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/17/06 at 10:57pm

Well, they can play the instrumental Disc 2 version of the OBC re-release.

jwsel
#34re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 2:28am

This really is a silly thread. Seriously, how much can the soundtrack "spoil" you? It's not like anyone who would be worried about being spoiled hasn't heard the OBC or Concert recordings or seen the show. And even if you had heard Jennifer Hudson's version of AITY (as my repeated listenings to the sountrack had), it still couldn't prepare you for that moment on screen. The same with the other songs, including Listen.

Frankly, I thought hearing the soundrack clips (it's not the entire soundtrack, as it does not include, among other things, Listen or I Am Changing) helped get me in the mood. Generic elevator music would not have worked.

Plum
#35re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 2:43am

They could play some real Motown, but a lot of the score would pale by comparison.

Jovie24 Profile Photo
Jovie24
#36re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 3:04am

I just got back from the SAN FRAN ROADSHOW tonight and they were not PLAYING the soundtrack in the Theater. Also, was there supposed to be an intermission? I read or heard that there was supposed to be one, but we never got it...

"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" -Stephen Sondheim

Jon
#37re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 9:34am

I say, if you didn't bring an ipod, just stick your fingers in your ears and yell LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!!!!

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#38re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 10:09am

Dear God, imagine if they DID play the original Broadway album...jesus, Jennifer Holliday would be rampaging through there like Godzilla through Tokyo.

Updated On: 12/18/06 at 10:09 AM

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#39re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 10:17am

Haha, yeah. She's been doing that a lot lately.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

Wildcard
#40re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 12:56pm

None of the showings have intermissions.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#41re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 12:59pm

What a stupid thread.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#42re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 1:02pm

LOL -- I was at the first showing in NY and I didn't even notice what was going on in the background. I was too excited and busy talking to my friends to pay attention to the background music.

BTW -- I LOVED the movie. I thought all the performances were incredible. I was expecting Jennifer Hudson to be amazing and she STILL blew me away. I wasn't expecting Beyonce to be so incredible -- she was the biggest surprise for me. For me, the only thing that bothered me was that I felt the editing made musical sequences feel too choppy. In addition, I felt that the staging that was used for JHud in And I Am Tellin' You wasn't strong enough. I worked well in closeup, but the shots from further away just weren't powerful enough for me.

". . . POP . . ."

Jovie24 Profile Photo
Jovie24
#43re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 1:24pm

None of the showings have an intermission..then playbill.com got things wrong:

"The roadshow screenings feature reserved seating, an intermission, "Dreamgirls"-themed lobby displays and merchandise booths and a limited-edition program."

We also did not get reserved seating either!

Where is THIS information coming from?

"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" -Stephen Sondheim

Jovie24 Profile Photo
Jovie24
#44re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 1:29pm

I got a response back from Playbill.com (who wrote the article about reserved seating and intermission). It was supposed to happen, but the producers decided to go another way.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#45re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 1:34pm

It was confirmed months ago that there would be no intermission inserted to the Roadshow presentation of DREAMGIRLS. The press release DID state this, but info later released stated 'no intermission'.

As for the non-reserve seating scenario -- that's the theater's doing. Most likely they couldn't organize the assigned seat bit so they just did it as a first-come; first serve bit.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#46re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 2:34pm

Well, Ziegfeld was reserved seating. (At least for Friday night's show.)

". . . POP . . ."

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#47re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 2:41pm

Sorry if I missed it, but what is the seating at the Ziegfeld like? Are there ushers, etc, or is everyone looking for their own seats w/ popcorn in their hands?

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Fosse76
#48re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 2:45pm

"I thought there was going to be something more to the pre-'SHOW' that just hearing the soundtrack.

Hell if I'm paying $25.00 just for that."

You receive the souvenit program and a lithograph also.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#50re: NY's Ziegfeld DREAMGIRLS Roadshow being *spoiled*!
Posted: 12/18/06 at 3:25pm

A Road Show isn't a "floor show."

It was, is, and will always be about the film. The souvenir booklet is gorgeous with glossy full color "coffee table" style pictures from the film, and cast and crew bios.

I attended a road show screening in LA yesterday...

There are costumes in the lobby, as well as props and artwork (Dreams and JT Earley album covers, posters, set models and sketches).

In addition to the program, you get a limited edition litho of the poster artwork, numbered with a COA.

Yes, they play (actually BLAST) the soundtrack in the lobby and inside the theatre before the show, and it bugged me too, but most of the people attending didn't seem to be bothered a bit by it.

The film is presented in 2K digital projection. Perfect sound. Each of the road show theatres has a studio technician sent out to test and balance the audio and visual presentation and make sure that it's absolutely flawless.

The seating was reserved, with MANY ushers to help you find your seat.

That's what you get for your 25 bucks... but you don't get a floor show, or hand puppets or a lap dance.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 12/18/06 at 03:25 PM

Videos