pixeltracker

Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film- Page 2

Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#25re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:22am

I loathe Streep and except for Death Becomes Her, have never liked her in any movie she's done that I could tolerate watching. If you read Pauline Kael's review of Sophie's Choice in her book, State of the Art, she nails Streep's talent in a single phrase "she picks one affectation and does it to death." She points out the swinging hair on Manhattan, the painful, clipped delivery in The French Lieutenant's Woman and the Polish Accent in Sophie's Choice. I'd add the smirk that's always on her face (she went to Vassar and has the same smirk Candace Bergan and Jane Fonda have).

I refuse to pay money to see her movies, so I don't think I'll see Doubt. Cherry Jones is coming to Minneapolis in the road company and I suspect that's when I'll see it.

Why does Meryl Streep have a career? She can't act!

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#26re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:28am

I know one or two people who agree with you, Piercemn.

I even know one or two Academy members who agree with you.

But there are far more out there that don't agree with you. And that is why she has a career... and one of the most well-respected careers ever in the industry.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#27re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:32am

Pierce = you have said this same arguement against Streep about ten times already - its fine if you don't like her or think she can't act but enough already. Obviously most of the planet doesn't agree with you.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#28re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:32am

I am of the opinion that Streep is tremendously talented, but seeing her in everything these days has made me shy off a bit from her. Judging by the fifteen or so films she has in development for next year, Streep over-kill may be setting in for alot of people (myself included.)

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#29re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:42am

Actually, Meryl Streep herself would agree with you.

She's very surprised she's lasted this long.

"Isn't everyone sick of me yet?" she has said. "I know I am!"

Honestly, it's that kind of humorous attitude that has kept her favorable all these years. She is fiercely dedicated to her craft, and yet she can take a step back from it and laugh at it all. She leads a very balanced life, and it's admirable. We (as a general population) like to go to the movie theatre and watch her work. We like that she's a Soccer Mom in real life. We like that she's a little bit average in her day-to-day... and yet transcendent on a movie set and on the big screen. We can see the game she plays, and we enjoy how she is able to walk the tightrope and somehow make it all work. It's VERY rare. SHE's very rare.

Updated On: 2/19/07 at 11:42 AM

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#30re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:43am

If this is true, then Streep will be due back at the podium.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#31re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:45am

I think i respect her because she can do so many films in such a short amount of time. You know she is commited to 15 films but she still can create extrodinary characters that read excellently on the screen.

Such a fine actress.

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#32re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:45am

How dare Meryl Streep use a Polish accent to play a Polish woman? Why does that woman have to pick character traits to portray characters? Those 14! Oscar nominations are so undeserved!!

She is our finest American actress, and was probably a lynch-pin in getting financing for the Doubt film. At least a budget they can do something with.

Pauline Kael was a good critic, but she can be wrong as well.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#33re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:48am

I adore Meryl and hope she does this.

Now how about a remake of 'The Heiress' with Cherry?

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#34re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:49am

Pauline Kael was a great critic, because she backed up her opinions fully with detailed reasons as to why she felt the way she did.

But I RARELY agreed with her ever.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#35re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:52am

Actually, if you stack the rest of the small cast, the film might be better served with an unknown as the male lead. Someone the audience doesn't know at all and therefor has no bias either way.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#36re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:53am

"Now how about a remake of 'The Heiress' with Cherry?"

Because 14 people would go see it, in addition to you and me, Glebby.

And yet Cherry Jones was even better than de Havilland, who won the Oscar for the film version.

Just as soon as they take the "business" out of "show business" we will see a film remake of The Heiress with Cherry Jones.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#37re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 11:55am

Craig, there's just not enough of a cast to stack here, without a high-profile male lead.

The fact that Damon's own sexuality as been the fodder of tabloid rumors actually helps him quite a bit.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#38re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 12:02pm

Ed Norton would be good.. and he's even played a priest before re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

neddyfrank2
#39re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 12:06pm

I do love Meryl, but what movie isn't she doing these days?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#40re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 12:08pm

The main thing that bugs me about a film version is "opening it up."

Yet, if they don't it's going to feel claustrophobic and stagy.

The biggest "crime" IMO, would be showing the kid. The fact that we don't ever see him really works well in the play. We are left to speculate so much, as a result. We (as an audience) are forced to judge the accusations of what really happened on hearsay alone.

I "doubt" they'll be able to get away with that in a movie.

But, for me, it's the equivalent of adding all the men back into The Women... or showing a six-foot-tall, white bunny in Harvey.

Updated On: 2/19/07 at 12:08 PM

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#41re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 12:12pm

Okay, I love the idea of Meryl but I'm just going to put out three names I think would be interesting choices:

Susan Surrandon
Sigourney Weaver
Annett Benning

Also, its important to note that just because Meryl is currently attached to the film doesn't mean that she will star in it or that the film will even happen! I wouldn't jump to any conclusions before I see a confirmation of this...

PS. Of all the movie musicals she has been attached to, I like the Mamma Mia concept the best. I think she would do wonders for the musical (cough cough- if thats what you can call it)

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson
Updated On: 2/19/07 at 12:12 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#42re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 12:17pm

Good point. She was just as "unofficially attached" to Sweeney Todd before she bowed out due to a "scheduling conflict."

I believe Meryl is rumored to be attached to every movie now.

And that gets the project a little advance press and buzz... and naturally she has scheduling conflicts in the end, because she can't commit to 173 films next year.

EDIT: BTW, I could see Scarlett Johansson as Sister James, too.

Updated On: 2/19/07 at 12:17 PM

ashley0139
#43re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 12:45pm

When I first saw the article on the main page, my first thought was "YES." She would be brilliant. Someone already mentioned, but I also think Miranda Richardson would be great, and she is so underrated. Although of course the first choice would be Cherry.

Love the idea of Scarlett too.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#44re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 12:56pm

Reiterating that Miranda Richardson would be a fierce Aloysius. I'm not a big Meryl fan, but I could see her pulling this off. In an ideal world, we'd have Cherry back, but what are you going to do?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#45re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 12:56pm

my main problem with this film is going to be the whole idea that they are adding Donald Muller into the cast. i think what makes the play so powerful is you DON'T see what his reaction to the storyline is. ¤shrug¤

i could care either way who gets into the film at this point with that information being initiated.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#46re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 1:17pm

I could see Amber Tamblyn or Alison Lohman as Sister James.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#47re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 1:17pm

Ed Norton didn't even cross my mind, but I agree, he would be good. I agree Alfre Woodard or Angela Bassett for the mother. As much as I love Alfre (She is my favorite actress), I could see Bassett in the part over Woodard.

Just give the world Love.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#48re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 1:20pm

Joachim Pheonix is my choice for the Priest.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#49re: Meryl Streep as Sister Aloysius in Doubt film
Posted: 2/19/07 at 1:21pm

Alison Pill for Sister James
Robert Sean Leonard for Father Flynn
Angela Bassett for Mrs. Muller

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Videos